User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Not enough work history

I am finding out that sme companies will not hire me cuz I dont have enough work history I have been laid off since April of 2011 and i was on workmans comp most of that time. And in 2010 I did not work at all cuz of a bad economy. So I went to trucking school and graduated in July and I am finding this very frustrating.Dont they know the economy is totally messed up right now!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Board Member

think you got the problem mate ,not your country ,you just sound to dumb to even ask these people in here your problem
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Board Icon

No it's very possible and is happening here mitch. It's not just trucking companies pulling this in the US.

chevy, ignorance is bliss in this situation. To them the fact that you haven't worked since 2010 means your lazy. Even though the economy has made it near impossible to find a job for anyone(even people with degrees) these companies don't look at it that way. They are just ignorant is all. They believe the reason you were out of work and couldn't find anything is because you weren't trying hard enough which by their logic makes you lazy and therefore not a worthy hire. It's complete BS in my opinion in the way their logic works. Like I said, it's not just trucking companies, banks and such are pulling the same thing. All I can say is, keep looking, you may have to take a low paying local job for a bit to show some work history if you can find one then go try again. That is the exact advice job finding agencies are giving out for unemployed. Take anything you can find to show work history then re-apply to what you were originally applying for.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Rookie

Hey Mate Im not dumb! Im a pretty smart guy and stick your comments up you tailpipe! Have a nice day you freakin aussie jerk!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyaz View Post
Hey Mate Im not dumb! Im a pretty smart guy and stick your comments up you tailpipe! Have a nice day you freakin aussie jerk!
f wit check your map just proved you are a dumb ass,no wonder you got problems
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 AM
Rookie

I go no problems mate my map reads just fine,and like I said I not dumb or a dumb ass! You hang in there now and F- U you aussie *****!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Board Icon

Ok now mitch, chill bro.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am finding out that sme companies will not hire me cuz I dont have enough work history I have been laid off since April of 2011 and i was on workmans comp most of that time. And in 2010 I did not work at all cuz of a bad economy. So I went to trucking school and graduated in July and I am finding this very frustrating.Dont they know the economy is totally messed up right now!!
If you were on workman's comp most of your "time off" in 2011.......don't you suppose that alone may be an issue in getting hired? "On the job injury" plus being out of work for an extended period before and after, spells trouble to a lot of companies.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:

Unfortunately what you’re experiencing isn’t uncommon for people who get their initial CDL. Some trucking schools provide assistance in job placement, but with the economy as you mentioned, it’s doubtful that is possible.

Long story short - you’re not alone. Don’t get discouraged though:

- sat on my CDL for two years, remained in construction driving a straight truck (flatbed), because no one would hire me, except Swift, but I saw a lot of red flags, so I declined. Then…

- …got on with hauling Ag(riculture), with my limited experience of driving trucks for construction company and my stint in the Army. Wasn’t a great job, but got on and drove different trucks, got familiar with the environment for driving, log books (OBC nowadays), and other operational procedures. Equipment wasn’t always in great condition, but I made sure I never left the yard with an unsafe condition on a trailer. Anyways, depending on where you live at, you may want to check out your local Ag jobs, for hauling oranges, hay, cotton, tomatoes or whatever it is. Chances are you’ll get a start with them somewhere, if nothing else is available for the moment. Expect long hours, 7 days a week though, till the season ends for whatever product you're hauling

- not sure about your situation, but if you can swing it, financially that is(with help from family), volunteer once in a while at something you like to do (or within a family-related business?), maybe once or twice a week, while you’re looking for work the rest of the week. That recent volunteer work (experience) is your Reference point. It shows you’re out hustling to stay busy, not sitting and collecting unemployment as some companies may judge you to be doing, whether or not it’s true.

Anyways good luck, and hope this helped some.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may need to get a doctor to sign off on the workers comp. I would expect that to be more of an issue than the tim you have had off from work. If your mvr and csa are clear and you have not done a lot of job hopping, you should be able to find something. You could check with smaller carriers who might need a driver.