User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interesting in Trucking

Hi everyone!
I am looking to get into trucking but there is one thing that has been bothering me. I try to stay pretty healthy and in shape (you know, the young 20 something trying to look good ) but it seems like this will be a hard thing to do once I'm driving all the time. Do you guys have any tips? I have a family history of diabetes which is one reason I am trying to stay in shape and eat well.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Rookie
Default Healthy choices mean healthy lifestyle

Healthy choices mean healthy lifestyle. You only have 11 hours to drive and while you're taking a break, before starting your day, after finishing your day, while you're waiting to get loaded or unloaded you can be doing some sort of physical exercise. You can also choose not to eat while you're driving, make healthy food choices, shop at a grocery store instead of truck stops, make your own meals on board your truck instead of stopping at a fast food restaurant, etc.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Rookie

It's easy to stay healthy as a driver. Even if you choose to park at a truck stop. You just have to stay health concious. If you are a runner, well take the time to do a few laps around the truck stop. You could start your day that way. I am not a jogger but, I would make it a point to walk several laps around the lot each and every day( weather permitting of course)...............The biggest obstacle you have to overcome is the fat slobs who are going to try and discourage you out here, and trust me there are lots of them. Eating healthy is easy to do alsomake it a point to keep healthy snacks in your truck to munch on while you are driving (fruit, veggies, nuts and things of that nature).................Stay away from the sodas, don't hesitate to pick up a case or two of bottled water and drink that instead. I used to keep plenty of fruit juice on my truck. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T EAT TRUCK STOP FOOD ALL THE TIME..................Pilots only have fast food and TA is just too filthy to even talk about. Most Flyimg J's have a Denny's now and that's ok for a decent Breakfast every now and then. Petro is ok to for that, but don't get into a habit of eating this stuff every day...........Find a good restaurant near where you stop and get a hot meal, but like you woulsd at home. Try cooking a few meals at home before leaving home and freezing them then just take one out each day and there you have it. Home cooked right in ur truck. Agin driver it is too easy to stay healthy. I did it for yrs til i decided to leave trucking all together.
GO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushion View Post
Hi everyone!
I am looking to get into trucking but there is one thing that has been bothering me. I try to stay pretty healthy and in shape (you know, the young 20 something trying to look good ) but it seems like this will be a hard thing to do once I'm driving all the time. Do you guys have any tips? I have a family history of diabetes which is one reason I am trying to stay in shape and eat well.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Rookie

I too am taking this into consideration. Have you ever seen kettlebell training. Youtube it if you haven't. Minimal space and equipment needed. I think this will be the route I take if I go on the road. But also keep in mind its probably 80% what you shove in your pie hole that keeps you "healthy"
Old 09-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Basically I eat one meal a day in the restaurant (dinner) and you can normally find something on the menu that is half way healthy. During the day I snack on fruit etc. I get at a store. Exercise wise being a heavy hauler I normally get stuck in the far back corner of the parking lot anyway so I just make two or three laps around and do some pull ups on something on the load I am hauling (always something sticking out )

Tags
healthy, new to trucking