User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Advice Please.

My husband is about to complete trucking school. He is a very devoted husband and father who has gone through a tough time lately. He worked for the same company as a warehouse clerk for 18 years but was miserable. He was making crap money. He basically had three options to make a liveable wage; stay where he was, do factory work, or truck driving. We discussed it at length and decided he would be happiest with truck driving. He likes to work alone and like a lot of alone time--but he is also very family oriented. So here are my questions:

1. What can I do to make this transition easier on him?

2. Do you know any companies in the Ohio area that treat their drivers well?

Thank you so much for your help.

Oh yeah-- I should tell you he prefers regional work and no flatbeds or hazardous.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:46 AM

hello, im not from ohio and cant help you with jobs in the area, the school should have some names that fit what he wants if he ask them, as for what you can do to help him. good drivers like the road and alone time they get, the down side is when a driver gets in his own head, keep worry of home and bill for when he home and live as everything is pechie when hes on the road, we cant fix everything and that will drive a driver crazy nowing he cant fix things. the are lots of site that will break down areas to companty

Drivers :: CDL-Link
Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Senior Board Member

You didn't say where in Oh, I know Crete has a terminal in Columbus and I think Prime is right across the street. Look around and note what trucks you see the most and take note.

As far as makeing it easy for him, handle the day to day problems yourself. If Jr. gets in a fight in school don't tell him about it till he gets home. In a nut shell most of the daily stuff is going to be on your shoulders, don't hide money problems disuss them when he's home. Set up a time for him to call and talk to the kids and a time for you WITHOUT the kids! Buy a few love you greeting cards and everytime he's home hide one in his log/clothes/truck ect. He should do the same, even a hidden little post-it note can bring a smile when found for both of you. It's going to just as hard (maybe more so) on you as for him.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
You didn't say where in Oh, I know Crete has a terminal in Columbus and I think Prime is right across the street. Look around and note what trucks you see the most and take note.
The OP asked for a "company that treat their drivers well">Prime wouldn't make that list on an exceptional day and Crete is just another mega.

Bigdaddydan, your husband needs to get out and knock on doors. He needs to find a job with an LTL carrier like YRC or ABF or Fed-Ex or UPS. He needs to go somewhere where he may start on the dock and move his way up in the organization. Those places will provide him the chance to earn a good income and have benefits for his family.

Your husband should not run otr, it is apparent by your post he has too much at home to miss out on!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am thinking of buying my husband a laptop and setting up a daily time to skype. The little notes also a sweet suggestion. I also think your right about keeping problems to myself while he is on the road--but boy will it be hard. He is my rock. Thanks everyone. Any other ideas?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Be careful with Skype. Any type of video chat will use quite a bit of bandwidth on the cell phone. Good idea, though.