User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DARN!!! Looks like I'm going to flunk the vision test!

I joined this group several weeks ago and I've been following it closely. It has been a great help in getting a better understanding of what it means to be a trucker.

I'm signed up for US Truck Driving School, have a pre-hire letter from one and another one on the way. I'm finishing the paperwork for my WIA grant to pay for school. Starting to get excited about starting a new career at age 66.

OOPS!

Looks like I'm going to flunk my vision test. I have one lazy eye -- I can see good out of it, great sideways vision, just can't make out letters well enough to read them.

Doc who did my DOT physical was going to flunk me on the spot but I got him to send the vision form over to my regular eye doc as I had a complete exam in August. But I really don't have much hope.

I think I would have enjoyed driving OTR and my wife would have appreciated the money. Guess I better get started looking for something else.

You folks all drive safe out there.

God bless.

HO HO HO

Please send me your ideas and suggestions.

God bless,
Grandpa John
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Just so you know the FMCSA regs on vision are:

Quote:
(b)(10) Has distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye without corrective lenses or visual acuity separately corrected to 20/40 (Snellen) or better with corrective lenses, distant binocular acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in both eyes with or without corrective lenses, field of vision of at least 70° in the horizontal meridian in each eye, and the ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber;
Definately talk to your eye doctor to see what can be done.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Rookie

I just left dmv I have 20/70 left eye , 20/20 ,right eye with glasses , and 20/20 both eyes open with glasses... They said I failed test.cuz my left eye isnt good enough ,,,..there goes my dream of being a trucker also...im pist....