User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Paid CDL training without having a US license for a min of one year

Hey!

I was wondering if someone can tell me if there's any company that offers paid CDL training even if I haven't had my US license for at least 1 year. I'm 29 and just came to the States from Germany like 4 months ago and I have had my US license for about 2 months now. I've had a German license for 7 years, but I never drove a truck before. There must be at least one company that would give me a chance. I have an absolutely clean driving record and I think I can even get it sent over here from Germany.

So far I already talked to:
  • Central Refrigerated Service
  • Covenant
  • Swift
  • CRST
  • Stevens
  • CR England

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 AM
Board Regular

If you don't mind working in the oil fields give this outfit a call Hiring positions in the oilfield including CDL-A Drivers and Diesel Mechanics / Mile High Energy Solutions

They were/are hiring for Baker Hughes, and part of the traing was truck drivers school. If you are young and strong and can handle being away from home and long hours, it is a good place for a young guy to start a career in the oil and gas industry. And once you are there for awhile, you can pretty much write your own ticket. The job starts at $70,000 a year, or more, depending on how much effort you put into it. Oh, that is about $50,000 more a year than a first year truck driver will normally make.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Rookie

looking for more info on Baker hughes CDL training. I'm from Colorado but presently reside in mountain view CA.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Rookie

Justruckin if you can call me at 650-520-6370. i'm looking for more details on Baker Hughes
Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 AM
Rookie

tjlewis1130......

You might want to PM your phone number to the intended recipient instead of posting it on a public forum.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVA View Post
Hey!

I was wondering if someone can tell me if there's any company that offers paid CDL training even if I haven't had my US license for at least 1 year. I'm 29 and just came to the States from Germany like 4 months ago and I have had my US license for about 2 months now. I've had a German license for 7 years, but I never drove a truck before. There must be at least one company that would give me a chance. I have an absolutely clean driving record and I think I can even get it sent over here from Germany.

So far I already talked to:
  • Central Refrigerated Service
  • Covenant
  • Swift
  • CRST
  • Stevens
  • CR England

Thanks for your help!
Hi, MacVA;

Welcome to CAD. I'm no expert in matters regarding immigration law or work visas for resident aliens, but I can tell you that your circumstances extend beyond "finding a company that is willing to take a chance on you". If a company can't legally hire you, or if their insurers won't underwrite risks you could potentially pose due to due to matters ranging from time in country and worker eligibility, to your lack of experience in navigating the U.S. highway systems, then "willingness" on their part is a moot issue. Given the short time you've been in the U.S., insurance considerations may turn out to be as problematic as the immigration labor laws.

The greater issues will involve what requirements you must meet in order to qualify for a CDL, as well as matters involving Haz-Mat endorsements, what documentation you must provide to confirm your eligibility to work in the U.S., the mountains of paperwork your employer will have to complete in order to retain you and keep you employed, the hours required to deal with the bureaucratic complexities of hiring resident aliens, and whether the Human Resource people in a company are properly trained to deal with those matters.

Remember; in the U.S., we operate in a "Post 9-11 World" with government imposed mandates for extensive background checks, security clearances, etc. Those factors make what were already complex issues even more complex than they were before the days of 9-11. That is even more true in the oil and gas industries. Bear in mind that there are many foreigners working in the energy industries here in the U.S., but the majority of them work in areas requiring specialized expertise, (geology and related Earth sciences, engineering, IT, etc.) There are also resident aliens who drive trucks and haul haz-mat loads, so it can be done.

The process of becoming legally eligible for hire, and becoming a suitable candidate from the vantage point of an employer will most likely take some time, and it probably won't be easy. I would recommend that you begin by contacting the German Embassy in Washington. They may well be able to assist in guiding you through America's bureaucracies, and help you find competent legal representation.

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
4645 Reservoir Road NW
Washington, DC 20007
Phone: (202) 298-4000

Normally, I would advise you to contact your U.S. Representative's office. If you reside in Virginia's 7th Congressional District, (Richmond, Va.) then due to the most recent election outcomes in Virginia's 7th, you might fare better by contacting one of Virginia's U.S. Senator's offices.

Senator Mark R. Warner (D-Va.):
Washington, D.C. Office:
475 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2023
Fax: (202) 224-6295

Richmond, Va. Office:
919 E. Main Street, Suite 630
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: 804-775-2314
Fax:[/B] 804-775-2319

Senator Tim Kaine (D-Va.):
Washington, D.C. Office:
388 Russell Senate Office Building,
District of Columbia 20510
Phone: (202) 224-4024
Fax: (202) 228-6363

Richmond Office:
919 East Main Street, Suite 970
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Phone: (804) 771-2221
Fax: (804) 771-8313

I would also suggest that you seek the services of an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state, who specializes in immigration law. The good news is that given Virginia's close proximity to Washington, D.C., locating one shouldn't be too difficult. Yes, it'll cost you some money, but after all is said and done, it will be far more productive than simply spinning your wheels. Once again, I believe that your embassy may be able to steer you in the right direction.

One important point that needs to be made: DO NOT allow a truck driving school recruiter to talk you into believing that they can guide you through this process. In truth, they can't. Unfortunately there are many unscrupulous recruiters who will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to get you enrolled.

Regarding receiving company sponsored training, that's probably not going to happen; there are too many qualified applicants with U.S. citizenship who are readily available to employers. As for your list of prospective employers, scratch C.R. England off of your list. C.R. England and PRIME are both beggars' crossroads; they both lead to trouble in all directions.

All the best to you!!

Last edited by Useless; 08-08-2014 at 04:10 AM.