User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truck driving as a career, though I need some advice.

Hello, thanks to anyone who reads this and has some input to share. This might be kind of long, and I apologize if it is. I'm 25 now, and I've never had a job, or occupation that would go anywhere. I've done a lot of different types of jobs, from being a bouncer at a couple well known bars in Florida, working Security, being a professional tattoo artist, to doing a lot of labor. Coming to Oregon from Florida, I met a man on the bus, he as a truck driver. A bunch of people on the bus were heading to driving school in Colorado somewhere. Anyway, he talked to me about it at the time, though I made decent monkey tattooing, and I could work less while doing it. I wasn't a father at the time ether, and only had to support myself. Anyway, years later, I have thought about what he told me. He had told me he could have someone buying there own house in a 1 to 2 year period with driving, and much more. I heard all this when I was just about 20 (25 now). I have a son that will be 2 this August (22), and am now married. My most recent work was at a call center where I was making enough to live off of, though it was barely scraping by with bills. Nothing to where I could save money for my sons college fund (of which I some day hope to be able to do), to buy a house, or even a vehicle. I've been thinking more and more about careers, though many things that I look into ether don't pay well enough for the work that goes into them, you have to meet extremely high requirements, or they take a lot of education to get into that field. I couldn't tattoo in Oregon ether, because you have to go to School for it, they don't work off of Apprenticeships like most states do (this is how I started in Florida, I learned in a shop). These programs range from 10,000 to 20,000 dollars, depending on the school, and it's all out of pocket. It's also not promised work to where I would feel comfortable supporting my family.

Driving seems like a good idea, me and my Wife are talking about trying to do it as a team. I spoke to a school and he told me that team drivers are highly in demands, because they can get it there quicker then you would get it there with just one person. From what I looked up online, it's not uncommon, and you can still make a good living doing this. If this is wrong, please correct me. Me and my wife have spoken about it extensively, being something we are very interested in. Her mother and mother boyfriend drive together, across the country. They don't really pay for an apartment anymore, saving a lot of money, and they get to see the country too. Though the goal for us is to buy a house and start a life on our own, this seems like it is going to be very difficult to do. The different schools I called today, only 2 of them offer any type of program to help with the financial aspect of it, and you have to have rather good credit from what I'm told. I should have awful credit by now, though last time I pulled my credit check (about a month ago) I still don't have a credit score at all. I was told I would need a co-signer with good credit, though this isn't possible, as I don't have anyone that fits this criteria. The man that I spoke to on the bus said the school that most of the people on the bus were headed to, they pay for your training, you just have to drive for a year, for them. I'm just needing advice on what has been said so far about this. What is the best route for us to take? Are there any programs to help people become drivers? Are there any schools like this that will do that, let you drive for them and they pay for your schooling?

Also, I do have a criminal record. It was misdemeanor, when I was 20. My wife was slightly under age, almost 18. Like I said, it was Misdemeanor, and the person I spoke to at the driving school said it's fine, they've had similar cases come through. I had a felony when I was really young (about 11) though he said it was so long ago, and when I was a juvenile, it wont matter. I have been driving for 8 years, never been pulled over or had a single traffic infraction at all. She's never had anything on her record at all, criminal or driving history. Anyway, any advice from you guys/gals? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Senior Board Member

You can make a lot of money as a team, but what are you going to do with a two year old ? Expecting him to sit quietly for 20hrs aday isn't really going to happen. As far as school goes the last VERY LAST way is the company paid training! Do some research on here and read some of the horror stories. If you pay for the training $4-6 grand then get hired most likely you will be away for OTR training for 6 weeks or so and then get to "see the country" for 2-4 weeks at a time with 2-4 days at home before heading back out. Also keep in mind re; seeing the country, I drove past the Grand Canyon & Hoover Dam many times. All I ever saw of them was signs pointing the way! Remember your being paid to deliver a load on TIME in a BIG LONG HEAVY truck thats not always welcome in parking lots or even some streets.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
You can make a lot of money as a team, but what are you going to do with a two year old ? Expecting him to sit quietly for 20hrs a day isn't really going to happen.
Repete:
Those are the first thoughts I had. After rereading KM's post, I'm thinking that the child may be from a previous relationship, which would leave KM and his wife to run team. Now, the question is "Can a rookie husband/wife team's marriage survive the stress of being cooped up in working and living accommodations that are roughly equivalent in size to a small walk-in closet??"
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Rookie

Coming from the deep south, I've lived in much worse conditions, growing up rather poor. She has also lived in some less then desirable conditions as well. We've been inside of a truck before, to check it out and see if it's something that we could handle, space wise. I've lived in a small camper on the back of a truck before, not the big ones that hang off the side about 2 feet on each side. No, this is one that fit on the truck, was pretty small. Especially for me being 6 foot 6, I'm no small guy. Though it was doable. At one point when we lost our place (Oregon has a no cause eviction standard; they don't have to have or give you a reason for asking you to leave. Didn't do anything wrong, it ended up they wanted the place for there brother-in-law). Anyway, we've lived in bad and and small for long periods of time. The child is our child, and no, we don't expect him to be with us. We have local family that is willing to watch him for us while we are away. I hate leaving my son for extended time, I really, really hate it. Though when I look ahead at what I'm trying to do for him as a Father, it's more important. I never had a house growing up, we lived in a shack. During the rain, when the wind came through, the support wall actually moved, like the house was breathing. When we left the entire structure was deemed unlivable, was pretty bad. I think that any parent wants there child to have and experience more then they had, that is exactly what I want. If it takes me not being there as much as I like for a couple years, though I get to give him a house, normality, I would do that. I can't say for sure it would work out living in a truck and driving together, though we have also worked together too, where we set next to each other for 10 to 12 hours out of the day. It's a different situation entirely, though from working together, sharing a very small quarters, all of this worked out well so far. This wouldn't be a permanent thing. The idea would be to do this until we have enough to get into the house, to get everything that would be needed for the house, a vehicle or two, a college fund started, etc. At this point I would want to switch to something more local. In the area I live in Knife River is a big company, you see them everywhere, and there are a lot of logging trucks too, so ether would be fine with me. They both allow you to come home at night. My main idea keeps coming back to how would I pay for it? Right now, with everything I know and have done, I'm only qualified to protect someone, tattoo someone, do construction, or work minimum wage at a fast food restaurant. I can't tattoo, do to state regulations, and I can't work security or personal protection, also do to state regulations and licencing that's needed. Also, I'm in a very small town (slightly less then 16k people), so security gigs are hard to come by. From all the schools I've called, it's all credit based. From what I've looked up online, no schools will let you use FAFSA. I mean, I get that going to the companies that pay for it are a bad idea, that they own you for it. Though, if someone doesn't have any other means of financing, are there other options available? Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
Repete:. Now, the question is "Can a rookie husband/wife team's marriage survive the stress of being cooped up in working and living accommodations that are roughly equivalent in size to a small walk-in closet??"
Sounds like we need DR. Phil!

Kaos Method, sounds like you've had a rough time of it and the fact that you've made it this far say's alot.! I think a lot of newbies that quit is because of a lack of motivation or a fallback, it seems you have all of the former and little of the later.
Instead of going deeply in debt to a training company and working for peanuts for the first year or so check with some of the local logging outfits and other places that have a couple of straight trucks. But get your cdl permit first, that will show you'r serious and tell them what you've told us. Ya jus never know! You might find someone thats looking for someone that's 'hungry' and willing to WORK!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Rookie

I've had the CDL training manual for Oregon state, I'm reading through it. I also have some additional study material to read through, some test exams, and videos I'm watching through too. I'm trying to prepare for the CLP as much as I can, the permit test is 10 dollars here, I think. Or not much more then that anyway. I spoke to two of the logging companies here, and they don't hire anyone that doesn't have extensive driving experience. Is it possible to get your CDL without going to a school at all? The guy at the DMV said it was, he just said there's a high failure rate. Also, this may be a stupid question, but the DMV book slightly confused me about it. It said that there is a restriction on Air Brakes, some of the videos I've been watching said that nearly all of the most common trucks all use air brakes. The manual said that there is a test, though is this part of the general test, something I can do with the CDL Permit, or something that is done with driving, etc? I wasn't sure.

Don't know about needing Dr. Phil, last I saw he was having some Marriage issues :P. Mainly involving another woman, heh.

I had a tough childhood, it was more racial then anything. Living in the really deep south (Pascagoula, MS), there weren't many white people there. When I was going to school, I was one of a total of less then 10, many of which were girls. I was nearly 6 foot by 10 or 11 though, so I was a really big guy. So being one of the few white people, and being huge, fights happened a lot. I ended up having my nose cauterized something like 27 times in one year. Didn't happen before that much, though the doctor said the tissue on the inside of the nose gets thinner and thinner, and eventually anything will make it bleed. Getting busted in the nose wasn't nearly the worst of it, I was thrown on the ground and stompt on many, many times. It was a lot of gang activity, no one could really do anything about it. Anyway, years later I went back to visit, because I did have about 3 people I became friends with. Most of the people that really instigated it ended up really bad off. One of the guys was dead, two of the others ended up with HIV, and a couple were in prison for something. I had it pretty bad at times, but nothing like that. They were also still stuck in that small hole of a city, which I'm extremely happy to be out of. It did make me who I am today though, strong minded, and wont take anything from anyone. I'm not violent at all, but if push comes to shove, I wont be hit on.

I guess what my biggest question with all this is how far can I go on my own? I know I can get my CLP, but will that include the use of the air brakes, or will that still be a restriction? Is it actually possible to get your CDL without going to a school? I spoke to a local school today in Portland, they wanted to see if I qualified for financing. They were sure I would, I told them I would. I didn't, I have zero credit. They asked if I could have someone co-sign, no, I can't. I don't have family that would be willing to do that. Besides my direct family, of whom have no credit (went bankrupt), most are extremely deep in drugs. They wouldn't help if they could, unless if it benefited them in some manner. I checked the local community college, though they don't offer anything at this time. Anyway, thanks everyone! Let me know what you think.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Board Regular

can you get your CDL without school? sure. It's finding someone willing to let you use their truck and burn up their fuel to get the skills to drive though. You wouldn't just expect to be able to walk into a road test for a car and pass now, why would you expect the same for a truck.

there are other school (community colleges too) that offer classes as well. Just keep looking.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Rookie

That's exactly how I passed my drivers test, for the class E Licence (that's what Florida called it at the time). I red the book, went in and passed the first part. Friend of mine handed me the keys to his car, I passed it. I was 18 and was offered a delivery job for a construction company, they had a company truck. So I had to be licensed for it. I know that this is completely different though, being a lot more to it. I'm starting with the permit first, then I'll move on from there. Reading and learning what I can. My mother in law is with a driver, and we are all fairly close. So, if things work out, hopefully he will let me go on some of the local trips with him. He often goes from Portland to Vancouver, or a bit further. I'm keeping my eye out for the schools too, for sure. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

It's possible to pass the test with out the school, but do you have any idea how to parallel park a truck and trailer? It's on the test in many states! Also most companies will not hire some one who hasn't been thru some kind of training. It's usually the insurance company that say's no.
Check with your local employment office and see if any state/fed funds are available for training. That's about all I got.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Rookie

I don't know how to do that, no. I'm not sure if it's on the test here, though I assume it probably is. And there isn't, at least I don't qualify for it. In Oregon there is a maximum that they help with, and it's a grand total of 3,000 dollars. I haven't found a school at this rate yet. I found a school in Texas that lets you use there rig, trains with you for a day, and claims to give you the answers. Sounds bogus to me though.