User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who will hire drivers with very little experience? ??

Just recently obtained my class A, have had my class B since 96. Anyone know of a company that would hire a new guy?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
Just recently obtained my class A, have had my class B since 96. Anyone know of a company that would hire a new guy?
werner shift scheinder watkins & sheppard. avoid cr england at all cost they will driil it in your head to lease there trucks no thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Rookie

Pays seems to be 100$ a day. Is that what to expect starting out? Doesn't seem like a lot of money to be gone 11- 14 days. Leasing the trucks are bad? Fill me in.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Pays seems to be 100$ a day. Is that what to expect starting out? Doesn't seem like a lot of money to be gone 11- 14 days. Leasing the trucks are bad? Fill me in.
as far as leasing trucks as a newbie is bad because they prey on people with no experiance to lease and brain washing em into how much more money you can make. when your responsible for the truck you pay for just about everything and if you break down forget it!! fuel and tires are not cheap let alone everything else that goes along with a truck. as a newbie you should work as a company driver for a year gain your experiance and make sure that driving is what you wanna do as your career. bust your butt and save every penny you can and buy your own truck!! pay will be low at first but once you get a year in then you can move up like any other career! and don't job hop if things get bad stick it out as it will look better on your work history! lease programs are desighned to mainly benifeit the company and the driver if your lucky most L/O wind up going in the hole and being a company slave. another thing on a lease most won't let you take the truck else where if things get bad some won't even let you buy the truck out right. do you have a laywer as you will need one to cover your ass as no one else will!! take the contract to a lawyer to see who it benifeits them or you!! how much bussiness sence do you have if you have little to none then don't bother getting into a lease purchase as you may loose everything including your ass!! as for being a newbie you should honestly learn the bussiness first as thats a lingo in itself. how good is your credit as you may need it out there? how much do you have saved up? if you don't have eathier of these then you have no bussiness leasing or even owing your own truck. and as a newbie go tear up someone elses crap for your first year not yours. and just curious why do you want to lease a truck? is it home time you get to go where you want to? got news for you on that even if your fully independant it's still not all about the driver they still have to stay out months at a time to make ends meet and they don't always get to vaction where they want.

Last edited by ground_pounder; 02-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Rookie

spend the money get your own authority and find reputible brokers to get your loads from. I use Internet Truck Stops point system and almost always get paid for my loads.It is a little more headache but it is worth it in the long run you choose what you want to do and what you want to pull if it doesnt pay good dont take it.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar rabbit View Post
spend the money get your own authority and find reputible brokers to get your loads from. I use Internet Truck Stops point system and almost always get paid for my loads.It is a little more headache but it is worth it in the long run you choose what you want to do and what you want to pull if it doesnt pay good dont take it.
i twnd to agree with you. why be a company slave??
Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
You can't really look at it as how much am I making per day? Some days you will be able to drive 500 miles at a rate of say $0.27 per mile while other days you might only get 150 miles at the same $0.27 per mile depending on a delivery being made or a traffic tie-up etc. It will be different everyday unless your running a specific route everyday.

Are you looking for OTR, Regional, Local? Want to pull a van, flat, reefer, tanker?

Whether your new driver or experienced, stay away from leasing. Basically, your paying the company to rent equipment they already own outright. If your going to pay for equipment your better off buying your own instead of "leasing" it from a company. You then have more options at your disposal than leasing. In a lease they will tell you that your paying for the truck and at the end it will be yours, complete lie. You may get a truck but it won't be the truck you've been driving and supposedly paying on.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Rookie

I spoke with Werner, they seemed willing to hire. Anyone know about Werner new hires? I live in Va not sure how close they are.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Board Icon

Buddy I grew up with went with them right out of school, he liked'em. He moved on to what he thought was greener pastures only to realize that Werner wasn't so bad at all. He just went with EPES out of Greensboro, NC and seems to like them thus far as much as he liked Werner.

Werner has a terminal up in Allentown, PA and another in Atlanta, GA, those are the closest 2 to VA. I see them running up and down both 95 and 81 all the time.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I spoke with Werner, they seemed willing to hire. Anyone know about Werner new hires? I live in Va not sure how close they are.
Depending on the part of VA, you may have to go to Allentown, PA for orientation (I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone) or they may give you the option to go to Springfield, Ohio. Go to Springfield, if possible.
Werner does have the Dollar General account out of South Boston (which is what I do), and the Family Dollar account in Front Royal. Pay is good on both accounts ($800 or more weekly), and hometime is weekly there. DG just took on a few new guys, but may be taking more in a few months, since the delivery area may be changing. There's also the Perdue [reefer] account on the eastern shore and at Strasburg. I don't know how good the pay is, but it's not what you'd make at DG/FD, and the hometime is every two weeks. If you want to know anything else about them, ask me. I'll do what I can do answer.