User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New to trucking, help needed.

Hey everyone, im looking for some advice to help me get into trucking. ive done everything right so far, atleast in my head. i went to a reputable school. got my class A license, with several endorsements (HazMat included.) the only thing holding me back is my lack of experience, and a slight hiccup in my past, going back about 2 years ago. the issue in the past is truly whats holding me back. to be forthcoming and try and get the advise i need, heres what i did. back in 09, i was in the army, got a bit depressed, lost self controll and used marijuana, got caught, and was discharged early 2010 with a general under honorable discharge. i really want to be a driver, and have put forth alot of effort and money into this already. and, while i may not be the best judge of this, i feel like im a damn good driver. im very aware, and i understand the truck, and trucking industry very well. my school marks were always above 90, only like 2 of them were 85s. all i need is an oppurtunity. where can i find this at?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Board Icon

If you got an honorable discharge, what is causing the problem? Are you answering "yes" to ever failing a drug test for an employer? Not sure you have to DO that. I could be wrong, but I don't think trucking companies can get that info from the military... just your discharge status. Does it show on your DD 214? Not sure I ever even had to SHOW that to a trucking company.

Worse case? Pay for a substance abuse eval and classes if necessary, and have that available next time it comes up. DOT regs require that you complete such a class before being hireable again, but with proof and a good result, many companies WILL take you on.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Rookie

problem is tho, its not an honorable discharge, its general UNDER honorable conditions. its one step below. and it is on my dd-214, it says on the narrative reason for seperation: Misconduct ( Drug abuse).
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Board Icon

Okay, I understand. General discharge always carries a stigma. The explicit reason makes it worse. Still... not all companies ask for a DD-214. In my case tho... it's been many years. YOU might have to provide it since it was such a recent "job."

Call some of the companies that turned you down and ask them if it would make a difference IF you could provide documentation that you had done the "rehab" that I suggested. You could actually GET that through the V.A. (I think) at no charge. Be honest with them (since they aren't going to hire you anyway.)

I'm not saying that you HAVE a 'problem.' I'm saying that you need to jump thru the hoops to PROVE that it was just a fluke... and NOT a problem.

If you haven't read the regs that pertain to a driver who fails a drug test, you SHOULD. It will give you a better foundation for understanding the mindset and the requirements.

Unlike a DUI, there is no time limit on a failed test. I.e: it doesn't have to have been X number of years ago. MANY drivers fail a test, do the courses, get a good report from the substance abuse "analyst," and are back on the job in a couple of months.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Board Icon

P.S. If I recall correctly, you are given two different copies of your DD-214. ONE shows the narrative... the other does not. You don't have to give them the narrative version unless they demand it (because of your discharge status.)

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Rookie

great advice, i will definitly try that. it doesnt matter me how many hoops i have to jump through, this is what i want. and im willing to work towards it. thank you very much for the advice.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Board Icon

Send a letter of recommendation to the mods on my behalf, will ya? :lol:

Seriously, I do want to help you all I can. I only have today off and will be gone till next Monday probably. Keep me posted on what you find out this week. I will try to give you more help when I have more time.

If you don't know where to find the regs...

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Or go to a truckstop and buy the little green book of regs.

Keep the faith. I don't think you are totally screwed. Talk to you later.

Hobo