User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new to trucking

I got my cdl back in march of 2011.In July I was lucky enough to have the owner of a small local carrier go to the school i graduated from and ask if they could recommend any students,well I got hired all well and good.However I would like to do OTR and it seems what I am doing now nobody will consider me without actual OTR experience.Then to make matters worse I had several DWIs the last one almost 17 years ago,that has cost me 2 jobs as a guy was going to hire me for specialized hauling 40cpm and when he told the insurance company they said his premium would go up about 40,000$ a year.I realize this is also going to be a huge issue.I have seen you can seek to get that expunged off your record however they will always be on my driving record unless somehow I can get the DMV to also expunge them. I always wanted to drive a big rig and knew this would be an issue but i am going to keep trying until i get that chance.Are some insurance companies more lenient than others?I would like to be an owner/operator eventually would that make it any easier than trying to get on with a big carrier and as soon as they hear more than 2 dwis instant disqualification.Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.Thanks and stay safe out there
Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm afraid, insurance companies are no different than so many other businesses that will use any excuse to add dollar signs. As far as I know, trends like that tend to be industry wide. Any more, insurance companies use dollar signs to dictate who will have a job and who won't. You can research which might be more lenient, then which carriers use them, but you might have better luck going back in time and correct the mistakes.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Board Icon

diesel demon said:

Quote:
I got my cdl back in march of 2011. In July I was lucky enough to have the owner of a small local carrier go to the school i graduated from and ask if they could recommend any students,well I got hired all well and good.
It is rare to get a job the way you say it happened. Given the situation you later describe, I would have to agree that "all is well and good." Meaning, it was good that your school thought enough of your ability to recommend you, and it is good that you got hired... even if for a local job. In today's economy, any job is a good one.

Quote:
However I would like to do OTR and it seems what I am doing now nobody will consider me without actual OTR experience.
I wouldn't say "nobody" but, it is true that most OTR carriers don't consider local driving as qualifying experience. However, it IS experience and it keeps your CDL active (which is a major consideration.) Also, I would assume you are making better money than many other jobs in your area. ALL of this is a good thing, and it gives you a position from which to keep searching without starving to death.

Quote:
Then to make matters worse I had several DWIs the last one almost 17 years ago,that has cost me 2 jobs as a guy was going to hire me for specialized hauling 40cpm and when he told the insurance company they said his premium would go up about 40,000$ a year. I realize this is also going to be a huge issue.
You are right about that. But, it is not a reason to give up hope. Set your sights a bit lower. Specialized hauling has more stringent requirements than many other types of OTR driving. 40 cpm is close to premium wages for a new driver so they can afford to be more picky.

Quote:
I have seen you can seek to get that expunged off your record however they will always be on my driving record unless somehow I can get the DMV to also expunge them.
I don't know much about this except that some say they have done it. However... it takes alot of effort and may not be necessary. SOME carriers check DMV records for 10 years back or forever. But... MANY only want to see a 3 year or 7 year MVR. Your DWI's won't show up for THEIR purposes, and their insurance companies don't care about anything older. In my experience, probably 80% of all major carriers fall under this category. It seems that you picked the wrong one and have formed an opinion based on that. I believe you are mistaken... or misled.

Quote:
I always wanted to drive a big rig and knew this would be an issue but i am going to keep trying until i get that chance.
I can't say that I "always" wanted to drive trucks, but when looking at the want-ads, I would skip over trucking ads because they always mentioned having a "squeaky clean" MVR as a requirement. Suffice it to say that, when I finally was faced with the opportunity (and the need) to really give it a try, I found out that they didn't really always MEAN "squeaky clean." 17 years ago is a LONG time! Keep trying if trucking is what you want to do. I promise you... there are opportunities out there for you.

Quote:
Are some insurance companies more lenient than others?
Yes... absolutely... there are. You never know which company will be bound by a strict policy... or a more lenient one. And SOME carriers (mostly smaller ones that will get your foot in the door) are even SELF-insured. You just have to keep looking. [You might also go back to your school and see who they know that has OTR opportunities available to you!]

Quote:
I would like to be an owner/operator eventually would that make it any easier than trying to get on with a big carrier and as soon as they hear more than 2 dwis instant disqualification?
Not really. I know what you're thinking but, WITHOUT several years of accident/problem free driving (and experience,) most insurance companies would charge you through the ROOF to insure you as a "carrier." You're better off finding someone to take a chance on you... proving yourself to be safe and trustworthy... and building up years of experience before even considering being an O/O. Oh... and save up lots of money cuz you may have to insure yourself... or pay higher premiums because of your record.

I'm not saying to give up the idea of ever owning your own truck. But, I want you to put that on hold until you get to a position where you can afford it, and understand the total costs of it. There is a wealth of info on this site about what that would cost you. It is NOT a "shortcut" to getting into the industry with a bad MVR.

Meanwhile.... there are (many) companies out there that will hire you for OTR with your record as you have confessed it. It will be a good living if you can stand the time away from home. OR.... you can continue to have a good paying local job(s) because you CAN drive a truck and have a CDL... whether you ever go OTR or not. Beggars can't be chosers... and you are not in a position to completely control your choices. But, I promise you... that is not a deal breaker.

Quote:
Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks and stay safe out there.
You're welcome. And I WILL (stay safe.) Yesterday, I drove by a "turnout" where a trucker had spent his 10 hr off duty. There were at least 6 or more empty beer bottles left behind. The last truckstop (where he could buy beer) was an hour or more "back." So... against the regs, he had bought and transported the beer to his shutdown spot while ON duty! Who knows whether he had completely sobered up before getting back on the road... with ME!

I'm sure you can understand why the regs (and insurance companies) are as strict as they are. If your mishaps are that far in the past, I can guarantee that you can get into OTR. Just don't try to cheat the system. Too many lives are at stake.

Keep trying if OTR is what you want. But, also be grateful for what you have. And by all means... whatever you do... YOU be safe!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Rookie

Demon, I'm going through kind of the same thing; although I've only got one DUI from 4 1/2 years ago. I know for the state of Colorado, mine cannot be expunged. It CAN be expunged on the court level, but at the DMV level it CANNOT be expunged. Mine is different also in the fact that I got my DUI while driving my personal vehicle, but I was in possession of a CDL. That is why it cannot be expunged at the DMV level; because they always need to know that I had a DUI. With the rules and laws the way they are today, if I ever get a second DUI, I lose my license for good. 17 years is an awfully long time for those to be on your record though. The laws just recently (I'd say within the past 10 years) started changing with the DUI's and commercial vehicles. I could be wrong with that time frame, but one of the more knowledgeable gentlemen here will correct me. To me something from that far back before the laws were changing should be of no consequence now; especially since you haven't had one since. Have you pulled your own driving record to see if those DUI's are on there? Getting a DUI in a personal vehicle, while not holding a CDL, those should have fallen off by now.

As far as looking for an OTR company, most I've looked at are 5 years since the conviction date. Some companies are 7 years, some are 10 years, some are never. I had a line on one company, Total of Mississippi, that only required 3 years since a DUI, but they just changed to 5 years.

Don't know if any of this babble really helps you out, but I just thought I'd send my experiences so far.