User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need help please, recent grad 10wk/43hr a week truck driving student

Hello and thanks for reading/ consideration and your help.
I graduated 11/04/11 from fox valley tech college truck driving school, a 10 week/ 43 hr a week program. I had streight A's. Drove 6speeds, 8speeds, 9speeds, 10speeds, super 10's and 13 speeds. had van, flatbed, loaded, doubles and tanker training.
prior I was and still am a self employed tattoo artist for 20+ years now prof.
With the down turn in the economy I lost all my properties, ended up homeless living with my wifes parents, after bankruptcy we opened another shop to get buy, but as expected the economy kept getting worse.
She went to school for criminal justice and I went to be a truck driver. I passed my course and graduated on top.
I am 42 years old now.My problem is this, at 16 years old 1986 I got my first felony, party to a crime of armed robbery, long story short, I gave a couple older guys a ride to a gas station for some beer, and one of them ran out with the cash register, I had another felony in 1996 for throwing a brick through a gas station window, atempted buglary they called it. On top of that I have 5 dui's. My last one was in 2003, sitting on the tailgate of my truck drinking a beer believe it or not.
Needless to say I am really ashamed of this and dont need anyone else beating me up over my past.
As you can imagine Ive been turned down by every company I applied at and I understand their reason, being my past. I know it's going to be hard getting into this business and few care to hear about my life, my past is my past and I am a different person, yet getting into this industry with my past is proving near impossible.
At this point Im thinking the best way is to look into becoming a owner operator which is my plan for the future, however I am still a rookie/grad.
I think Im looking for a owner operator to give me a chance, to teach me what I need to know to become a owner operator, show me the ropes so to speak.
Im willing to take anything at this point, I don't need to have off time or time home, Im willing to prove myself and pay my dues. Whatever it takes.
If I had the cash Id buy myself a truck and try getting into this from that angle.
I had a 3.87 in business and understand professionalism. Im by no means lazy or a criminal type person, yes I made my share of mistakes and I've paid dearly for them, still am, I except that, yet realize I need help really bad to get into this industry.
I've never had a accident, have my fed med card, skid pad training, know the laws and what I need to do to run legal, its why I went to what I was told was the best truck driving school in the country. Fox Valley Tech. College in Appleton Wi.
I knew going into this I was going to have problems, just never thought I would have literally every place tell me no.
All tell me that I am looking for a small ma/pop place or an owner operator to help me out. I need a chance somewhere, I need that 2-3 year experience all ask for. Im hoping someone on here that reads this understands where Im coming from and is willing to give me a shot. I WILL NOT let that person down, and will be forever greatful. I understand mosts hesitations, yet get irritated at all the ones that say Im not worth your time.
Yeah Ive made mistakes, yet Im not a person that can't be trusted, Im not a child molestor or murder is the way I view it I guess and at the same time am angry with myself for the mistakes I did make in my life, believe me, I have to live with me. At the same time I know I will be great at this if given the chance.
So in short, I need help please, if anyone knows anyone that could use a guy like me give them my email. It's [email protected]
OR if anyone out there knows of another way I can get my foot in the door in this business let me know, what ever it takes is the way I see it. I know all have to start at the bottom in this industry, I just have to start alittle lower I guess. If need be I would buy my own truck if I somehow could, I do have collateral , Id put up my harley and all I own up to get into this business. Any help you's could offer would be appreciated.
Thank you for your concern, comments and reading.
Sincerely
Brian Flatoff
Hortonville Wi.
[email protected]
Old 11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Who are the companies that have turned you down? That is the big question. The things you have listed for your past are all just that......things in your past. IF the last DUI was in 2003, it is dated and not subject to rejection by most of the "starter" companies.
There isn't anything that you have stated that would keep you from obtaining a Haz-Mat endorsement or TWIC card. The DUI's hurt you because you can not go into Canada, and being as you live up north, Canada is something companies you hire on with will want you capable of entering.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Hello, thanks for your reply, yes I understand I can't go to canada. Some of the companies have been Wel trucking out of depere Wisconsin, Snider, Performance, crete, CR England, and many of the recruiters that called me, they all say they take dui's after 5 years but their cut off is not more then 2 of them. When I was in school we had to listen to all the recruiters, many said they took guys with dui's, but when I spent my weekends driving all over the state, all gave me the same message, no more then 2. All told me to find a ma/pop outfit or owner operator.
Again thanks for your reply. Yes I understand my past is in my past, I grew up hard you could say. Ive done many great things since then, just trying to find my start in what I plan on doing to retire someday. Man I can't wait to be out there with you all, I look forward to having a big ol' Pete!
Again, Many thanks for your reply.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Wow. You were rejected by CR England? That is hard to believe....They are usually ready to drag you into their truck if you have breath in your body.

To get your foot in the door, there are some choices....none of them greta.

CRST; Join CRST Expedited

Decker; Decker Truck Line, Inc. Official Company Website.

TransAm; Homepage | TransAm Trucking

PAM; Pam Transport.com - Home

Paschall; Paschall Truck Lines, Inc.: Welcome Customers, Drivers, and Agents

A mom & pop operation might hire you....that I can't say as I have never worked for one. Once you get your foot in the door, and prove you can do the job (two tears at one company will help), you will find it much easier to get through the doors at the better driving jobs with your past. Lot's of drivers out there have done what you are trying to do. They didn't have as many hurdles as you will have, but a driving job is possible.

You can also check out some of the vacuum truck driving jobs available in North Dakota / Eastern Montana.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for your reply, yeah, CRST told me no too, but will get on it right away with the others you posted.
Many thanks again.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

It may be a long shot, but you could also try the "human angle" Write up a cover letter similer to your OP and use that as a cover letter. You are getting booted without even getting your foot in the first door. You need to find a way to get past the sentry robot sorter and get to some one that has the power to take a chance on you.
failing that you could always start looking into dump trucks ( bad time of year) and other local type stuff, Salvation Army pick up,Rental stores, ect. Your CDL has a shelf life so don't wait! Also go back to the school and talk to them they may be able to help. It's gonna be tough so good luck
Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Again thanks for your reply.
Yes I have been trying the human angle, I go right to the places in driving distance, explain myself best I can without offering excuses and am told the same thing. I've been told to check into dump trucks etc. and I guess worse case scenario I'd look into that, my opinion on it is that I went to the best school I could to drive semi.
I know the new cdl has a shelf life, am told max 7 months.
Thats why Im kinda freaking out, getting on all message boards, filling out online aps etc.
And school I talked to and have the recomendations of 4 of the instructors I had, they were all impressed with me, told me I was made for this, but that because of the "new standards" I would find it hard to get my foot in the door.
Again I understand companies concerns as I would probally have the same.
I know someone is going to be happy they found me when they do.
Im hoping maybe a owner operator would take me on for a bit, till I can afford my own truck.
I pride myself at being pritty good at business as I have been self employed 20+ years with over 40 national awards and many people I taught the business to around the country. Money or a decent living just isnt in tattooing in my area anymore.
I think truck driving, after you put your dues in and prove yourself, that you are paid accourdingly, In tattooing with this economy, it doesnt matter how good you are, people practicing in their houses get paid about the same. Im tired of fixing it all lol.
Just going to keep filing out aps. till someone says yes.. then Ill be off and running.
Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Rookie

The guy I work for had many of the same issues you have (in fact he's on probation still) and his solution was to save up, buy an old truck, and then haul grain locally for almost a year to get up some more money. Then he and I teamed the NE and midwest for a while. Now he's up to two trucks, a full time driver, and me. I drive part time, usually 2wks on 2wks off. It's worked out well for all of us, and is a good example of how you can succeed in this business even with some serious hurdles in your past. If you don't feel your able to take the time to save up and buy a truck etc, then I'd suggest you ask around local truck shops for o/o who might be willing to take you on, perhaps as a team driver until you prove yourself. The good news is that once you get that first shot, it will get easier from then on, as you will have verifiable experience.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Thanks jeff for your reply, yep thats where Im at I think at this point, looking for a owner operator for owner operator exp. Ive thought of selling many things I have to buy a truck, but then am left with where to go from there, d.o.t. numbers, plates insurance and where to find loads. yet I think I'd be jumping the gun alittle so to speak, and think I should team up with a owner operator to learn the ropes, I know I will do this, it's just a matter of where I will be starting. Alot have told me I could drive milk trucks etc. yet this doesnt get me the experience I need for over the road O/O, So yeah even if I had the cash in hand and could buy this 20k Pete I have my eye on, I dont know where Id go from there, sure insurance and my d.o.t numbers etc, but where to find loads etc.
I am glad I came to this site as I figured I needed to talk to those in the industry if for nothing else ideas to get the ball rolling. Im pritty certain I could come up with the cash and figure out alot on my own, yet hands on exp. with a owner operator that has been there done that I think is my best solution, could save me alot of time and money to learn the ins and outs from someone that I wish to be.
But yeah thanks for your reply.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Things that make you say hmmm,
Wow, woke up this morning with 7 places in my email, I can't help but believe it's because of my posting on here, what a way to start my morning!
Will keep you posted and thanks all for your replies.