User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatoff9530 View Post
Thanks jeff for your reply, yep thats where Im at I think at this point, looking for a owner operator for owner operator exp. Ive thought of selling many things I have to buy a truck, but then am left with where to go from there, d.o.t. numbers, plates insurance and where to find loads. yet I think I'd be jumping the gun alittle so to speak, and think I should team up with a owner operator to learn the ropes, I know I will do this, it's just a matter of where I will be starting. Alot have told me I could drive milk trucks etc. yet this doesnt get me the experience I need for over the road O/O, So yeah even if I had the cash in hand and could buy this 20k Pete I have my eye on, I dont know where Id go from there, sure insurance and my d.o.t numbers etc, but where to find loads etc.
I am glad I came to this site as I figured I needed to talk to those in the industry if for nothing else ideas to get the ball rolling. Im pritty certain I could come up with the cash and figure out alot on my own, yet hands on exp. with a owner operator that has been there done that I think is my best solution, could save me alot of time and money to learn the ins and outs from someone that I wish to be.
But yeah thanks for your reply.
I do think you'll be better off getting some experience first. The thing that shocks a lot of guys when they go to buy a truck is the cost of insurance. Also, if you have limited experience, you will often find that the insurance company will only give you insurance within 300 miles of your home for a while.

I see lots of ads for drivers around here- usually smaller operators who would be willing to give someone with your background a chance- but usually they will want someone who is willing to stay out for 3 weeks at a time. If you are willing to do true OTR all 48 for a year or two I suspect that doors will open for you.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Rookie

yep, maybe thats what I left out, I don't need to come home, I can stay out years, if thats what it takes, I've heard alot talk about missing home and the wife and kids etc. I won't have a problem with that, whats more important is security, in time maybe a few years down the road I will take a month off to breath. In loosing my investments and properties, a half million worth, and having to file bankruptcy it took my breath away. Yet I did it once I know I can do it again only faster, success takes hard work and determination, I have what it takes I know that. Many times in life when by either my ignorance or because of my ignorance doors have been slammed in my face, instead of getting mad and giving up I choose to keep at it, it's served me well. I've found there are alot of great people out there and to find them you have to ask, humility has served me well. Im not a complainer, Im willing to do what ever it takes to get to where I need to be. I hear so many coming with their demands of home time and want higher pay etc. I know what its like to start on the bottom and I wouldn't have it any other way. Things that are just given to people are seldom appreciated, things that are worked for are. I've never been one to take handouts, there's been times in the last few years that I went hungry because of my pride.
I set out to this carreer change with both eyes open and expected what I've experienced so far. Trust isn't given its earned, I will work my butt off and will succeed, and look forward to the new friends I meet along the way.
Thanks again
Coming to this message board I guess was my way of trying to open more doors as I seen so many closing, Im glad I did, look forward to updating you's on my progress, and for anyone else in my situation that may read this, to not give up.
But yes, experience first, as just jumping in can be costly, and I'd be making mistakes that I could have avoided if I'd of taken the time to apprentice under someone to learn the ropes.