User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Possible Newbie with A LOT of questions...

Let me preface this post by first saying if I offend anyone, my apologies, that is not my intention. I will be completely blunt and honest with my opinions/questions, and I'm sure I will get the same in return. My questions would best be answered by recruiters/managers/people in the hiring process as well as tenured drivers, but all responses are welcome. I searched for the answers first but didn't find answers to everything and some answers were old and maybe outdated.

A little background... I live in Indianapolis, IN, I'm male, 29 yrs old with NO experience driving a truck. As everyone knows employment opportunities aren't their best right now and while I've usually skipped over ANY job posting saying anything about a CDL I decided to take a look.

When it comes to finding a job at this point I'm just trying to find something where I can make decent money in a position that will be stable all in an attempt to go back to school. That being said I don't intend (right now anyway) to be driving a truck for years and years and years as a long time career, even though I'm sure it would be great money.

What I'm looking for whent it comes to a job driving a truck... something local... or at least something that would have me home every night. A dedicated route... or deliveries that would take 8-10 hours to drive there and back and still go home at night. I don't think I'd enjoy having to sleep in the cab or shower at truck stops and things like that. I don't need a brand new fancy truck... let it be beat up a bit or whatever. As long as it drives and runs properly then who cares as long as I'm not on the road for days on end.

When I see listings for trucking companies who are willing to send you somewhere and pay for your training in exchange for committing to work for them for a year... it makes me think about joining the military. (no offense) I always thought of the military to be one of those fall back plans after high school for some people... if they can't get a job, oh well, the military will take them. And that's kind of how I always saw listings like this. Seems that all these types of opportunities will pretty much leave you to being one of the companies b!tches. By that I mean... there are no opportunities like this where they will pay for your training and then let you work for them on local routes/deliveries... only OTR. It would make sense I suppose. You're new so you have to put your time in and pay your dues. Where as somebody with a CDL and experience can go get a job driving locally or somewhat locally.

Or.... I can try to get a small loan to pay for training to get a CDL and then try to find a job. Then therein lies the problem... everybody wants 2 years experience or 50,000 miles of experience, etc. Well that's understandable, but the age old question is what do you do and where do you go to get that experience?

What are the ins and outs of getting started in this industry? I've heard alot of horror stories especially with a company you hired on to sending you to a school to "pay" for your training. Which really means they will pay up front but take money out of your pay check each week til its paid back.

Is this an industry that would be good to get into right now? I would assume that with the "economy" (typical issues) being the way it is right now... people are out of work or not making as much which means they are buying less which I would think to an extent would have an effect on truck driving. Companies moving their work overseas to save money... etc.

What can and should I expect as a newbie?

Is there any way that I can get hired on with a local driving position right after training or do I pretty much just have too high of hopes and I would be almost guaranteed to have to start with OTR and alot of time away from home?

I would think OTR wouldn't bring much profit to a company because of gas prices and that local deliveries would be more profitable on average.

I dunno... thoughts?

Of course I'd much rather work in an office but sometimes you have to do things you don't wanna do. Since the average starting salary is aroune $35,000 a year I thought it would pretty good money to do the job for awhile to be able to further my education.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Board Member

very well written mate and i hope sum 1 like gman or roadhog jump in and help you,it different in our country where you can get a chance in a small truck then work up over 2 yearrs to full licence without all this training school rubbish,just sit your different licences as you go.you can get them all at once if you over 20 and none of school stuff you got to put up with
Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Rookie

Thanks. I'm hoping somebody can give me good and truthful insight and wisdom. I know what I can do, and what I can't do. And I know for a fact my personality will not let me be away from home for days on end at a time and driving across the crountry. Regional I could handle maybe... driving in the surrounding states and home maybe every other night? Local and/or home every night would be ideal but... I'm not the MVP so I wouldn't go in to a prospective employer and make demands on what I need in order to work for them. That doesn't look good in any industry. So I just need to know if what I can deal with is even attainable as a newbie.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Starting out with a local gig is possible but highly unlikely. As far as being a "bitch" it is what you make it. Just from what you wrote I don't think umm no I know that you won't like OTR and will most likely drop out after or during training and end up oweing $4-5 grand. My advice? Keep looking for that office job. What ever you do , good luck
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most local driving jobs will require otr experience. There have been a few who have been able to find something local right out of school, but it is very rare. If you want to be home every night, then you will not like otr driving. You might find something driving a dump truck or local delivery truck for a furniture company. Those are usually straight trucks. You could check with your local state employment office and see if they could assist you.

I agree with repete. With your attitude you are likely to have problems adjusting in this business. Nearly everyone will need to go on the road for at least 1-2 years before getting a local driving position. There are carriers who will pay for you to go to their school, but it will require that you make an agreement to work for them for a year (usually) and drive otr. You either need to pay for your own training or sign a contract with one of the training carriers. If you choose to go with a training carriers and leave before your work committment is completed, you will be responsible for paying the carrier for your training.

Unless you enjoy being away from home and earning an above average income this is not a career that would be a good fit for you. Starting out with any otr company you will likely be on the road from 2-3 weeks at a time with one day home for every week out. If this is not something you can live with then I would find a different career path.

This can be a good career for those who enjoy being alone with their own thoughts. There are some carriers who run team, if you prefer more companionship. You will likely start out with a trainer after school. I have earned a good living in this business. There are still a number of job openings, but carriers have become more selective due to some changes in regulations and reporting by the feds (CSA 2010). Drivers with too many violations on their record are being replaced by those with good records or new drivers. There will always be opportunities for good drivers. If you have a good MVR and work history you should always be able to find a job in this industry.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

My old man is getting back in the road and he lives in Indy. The local job market is scarce in Indy honestly. As previously mentioned most want some OTR or regional experience. My suggestion is to go OTR or regional for a year to get experience and watch for local positions. After 6 months to a year a lot can change and Indy is a good place for local jobs quite a few Ltl carriers there. C1 is supposed to be a decent school and they have financing available. You might check marten they were hiring regional and local guys about 3 months ago.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whycantitbeeasy? View Post
I will be completely blunt and honest with my opinions/questions, and I'm sure I will get the same in return.
Goes without saying.
Quote:
I searched for the answers first but didn't find answers to everything and some answers were old and maybe outdated.
If you are looking for work like you searched for answers to these questions. I'm guessing you are going to be SOL

Quote:
Of course I'd much rather work in an office but sometimes you have to do things you don't wanna do. Since the average starting salary is aroune $35,000 a year I thought it would pretty good money to do the job for awhile to be able to further my education.
Day dreaming is good, but IMO(whatever thats worth) trucking is not going to be for you.

In answer to your user name, whycantitbeeasy? Because if it was, then it wouldn't be called work. Have a good weekend.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

See.......I always get leery about post's like this. Sometimes I wonder just how real they are.

Quote:
Gman said;
Most local driving jobs will require otr experience. There have been a few who have been able to find something local right out of school, but it is very rare. If you want to be home every night, then you will not like otr driving. You might find something driving a dump truck or local delivery truck for a furniture company. Those are usually straight trucks. You could check with your local state employment office and see if they could assist you.

I agree with repete. With your attitude you are likely to have problems adjusting in this business. Nearly everyone will need to go on the road for at least 1-2 years before getting a local driving position. There are carriers who will pay for you to go to their school, but it will require that you make an agreement to work for them for a year (usually) and drive otr. You either need to pay for your own training or sign a contract with one of the training carriers. If you choose to go with a training carriers and leave before your work committment is completed, you will be responsible for paying the carrier for your training.

This can be a good career for those who enjoy being alone with their own thoughts. There are some carriers who run team, if you prefer more companionship.
All valid information. Gman is speaking from an OTR operation owner's perspective.

Quote:
Repete said;

Starting out with a local gig is possible but highly unlikely. As far as being a "bitch" it is what you make it.
Again....good honest opinion. From an experienced driver point of view.

Quote:
crb said;
The local job market is scarce in Indy honestly. As previously mentioned most want some OTR or regional experience.
Decent opinion from one of the newer drivers in the workforce!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
Goes without saying. If you are looking for work like you searched for answers to these questions. I'm guessing you are going to be SOL

Day dreaming is good, but IMO(whatever thats worth) trucking is not going to be for you.

In answer to your user name, whycantitbeeasy? Because if it was, then it wouldn't be called work. Have a good weekend.

For me Sharlie is one of the Unknown"s". But..............still spot on right.

:smokin: Now some advise from an old grizzled truck driver.

YOU can find a local driving position. One that will in fact pay quite decent money and bennies. BUT.....YOU have to search that position out. It will not come to you, and your not gonna find it on the internet.

You said your age is 29. That makes you reasonably settled. You should have your "foolishness" exhausted, and be reliable now.

So........Before enrolling in a local driving school.....Go out and about, talking with some of the companies most likely to hire "Local drivers". Con-way Freight, YRC, Pepsi, Coke, as well as any Beer Distributor. Talk with the "Truck Bosses" and get their opinion. Go to fuel distribution companies like Keenan and Atlas Petroleum....talk with them.

If you are dressed presentable...not ragged but not "Managerial".....You are going to impress the managers you talk with and they will remember you. They will also give you straight and honest information. The jobs are out there....but managers are not going to consider anyone deemed "Unprofessional" (re; dressed like they could give a chit less").....OR dressed like they could take said manager's job title away from them. Both categories of dress style can get you dismissed without second glances.

Knock on doors and impress people. Don"t mention your educational goals. THAT is personal information best left sitting on the bureau in your bedroom.

Companies will hire you to haul package freight and fuel 9gasoline) right out of school. BUT.....You have to impress the chit out of some people.

BOL

sometimes I wonder if Belpre is lurking and posting under "Mult".
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Rookie

When it comes to OTR, what is a typical week like? It can't be all driving. When is there down time, and for how long? I love time alone, but just like anybody else I need a little bit of down time daily to reflect or just relax. If I'm spending 20 hours straight driving... then I dunno.

As far as searching for work in comparison to searching for answers on this site... at least searching for work brings back appropriate results. Search for say "customer service" and getting results that are with regards to nursing is pretty much the same type of results I got on here when looking for my answers. A lot of results that had nothing to do with what I searched.

As for my name... whycantitbeeasy? came after I tried several usernames and they were all taken so I typed whycantitbeeasy? as a smart azz and next thing you know its my name. As long as it works.

For the rest of you thanks for the info and opinions, keep them coming.