User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You are not going to be driving for 20 hours straight. We are restricted to driving no more than 11 hours or working for no more than 14 hours before having to take a 10 hour break. Most OTR drivers should average about 550 miles per day, depending on where you are running. If you are running from coast to coast or in the western states then you may be running more miles per day due to the higher posted speed limits and fewer cities to slow you down. The average driver should driver around 2,500-2,700 miles per week over the course of a year. Teams will put more miles on the truck. A team operation can run 5,000-7,000/week.

If all we had to do is drive, then we could put more miles on the truck. The problem is that we need to load and unload and that can often kill 2-4 hours. Some carriers do a lot of drop and hook. In other words, we take an empty trailer to a shipper and drop it either on their lot or in a dock and pick up a loaded trailer. On the other end we may drop the loaded trailer and pick up an empty to take and load at a different shipper.

No two days are alike. When we run otr we run irregular routes, for the most part, so our schedules are different from day to day. It is important to try to find your own body clock and see what works best for you when trying to get some rest. Accidents, bad weather and slow shippers can slow the process and throw us off our schedules. Planning is key in this business. When I pick up a load, I plan my trip. In fact, I usually have a good idea of my plan before picking up. I set a goal each day as to how many miles or hours I will drive and try to plan my stop for the night. Being irregular routes, that doesn't always work out the way we plan, but often it does. We need to do much more planning our trips when we run otr. Having a good Rand McNally for trucks is critical. Some use a GPS, but those can get you into trouble in this business, especially if yours is not set up for truck routing.

When I am in the truck I have seven mirrors two sides and the road ahead that I must constantly monitor. My eyes are constantly in motion. You never know when someone will sit in your blind spot or go around and cut you short. You must be alert at all times. It takes time to build your endurance. It sounds simple to get in the truck and drive all day. It can wear you down dealing with rush hour traffic in Chicago or anywhere in the northeast.

If you are doing your job, you won't have time to kill sitting in a truck stop playing video games. There will be time when you can relax. But, the number one thing you need to do is make sure that you plan well so you can get to your destination in a timely manner. Most carriers will allow plenty of time to make a delivery, especially when you first start with a carrier. Most planners or dispatchers should schedule your run at 45-50 mph average for the hours you have available to drive. That usually give plenty of time to make your delivery or pick up. It can be a demanding business. Some loads are very time critical. You cannot be late. That can put additional pressure on the driver. Most are not as critical, but when you have an appointment 2,500 miles from your pick up you need to plan accordingly.

We are required to take a 10 hour break each day. That should be more than enough time to relax and get your thoughts together.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:46 AM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If you get through school fairly soon I may have line on an excellent job. When are you going to school?

Orange all I get is a decent rating I'm offended. I only have 4.5 years experience, but I am a third generation driver and have been around the industry all my life. Hell I was brought home from the hospital in a truck.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
If you get through school fairly soon I may have line on an excellent job. When are you going to school?

Orange all I get is a decent rating I'm offended. I only have 4.5 years experience, but I am a third generation driver and have been around the industry all my life. Hell I was brought home from the hospital in a truck.

Ooooooooooooh. Don't be offended! Yer just a kid. :lol:

4.5 years experience??? Get 3 more years and you can just about match how much time I have in REVERSE!!!!

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Seriously though. If I stop now....you can catch up to me in....29.75 years.

I do plan on stopping....in a few years.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 AM
crb

I want offended I'm just messing with you.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
For me Sharlie is one of the Unknown"s". But..............still spot on right.
Been called worse, but Thank you!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
Been called worse, but Thank you!

Yer avatar weird's me out.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whycantitbeeasy? View Post
When it comes to OTR, what is a typical week like? It can't be all driving. When is there down time, and for how long? I love time alone, but just like anybody else I need a little bit of down time daily to reflect or just relax. If I'm spending 20 hours straight driving... then I dunno.

As far as searching for work in comparison to searching for answers on this site... at least searching for work brings back appropriate results. Search for say "customer service" and getting results that are with regards to nursing is pretty much the same type of results I got on here when looking for my answers. A lot of results that had nothing to do with what I searched.

As for my name... whycantitbeeasy? came after I tried several usernames and they were all taken so I typed whycantitbeeasy? as a smart azz and next thing you know its my name. As long as it works.

For the rest of you thanks for the info and opinions, keep them coming.

Problem with "seeing the country" you are in loading docks, or shippers, waiting with other Big Trucks. You can't leave your load and sight see, like you imagine.

The grass aint always greener and if you like an office job.... I can almost guarantee you won't like trucking.

You asked for blunt, I'll take it easier, I won't tell you 'I told ya so." later.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Yer avatar weird's me out.
Better?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
Better?
LOL......and there I was....starting to think you were interesting!!