User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Nowhere to park trucks for 10+ hrs anymore......

I drive OTR, and most nights I continue to run into the problem of not being able to find a parking spot at a truck stop or Rest Area past 9pm. This is really starting to get frustrating, since you are required by the stupid government regulations to find a safe place to park your rig for 10 straight hours (assuming you aren't doing a split), and your 11 hrs are up or your 14 hour clock is up, but yet every truck stop in the area you're in is filled up after 9pm. Then you try to park on an on-ramp and they will give you a parking ticket. You try to park in a Wal-Mart and they will call the local police to make you move your rig. This is crazy!!! How can they have all these government regulations in place and enforce them when they don't have the infrastructure (enough places to park trucks) for doing so?!?

If you exceed your 11 hrs to continue looking for a spot to park the truck for the night, they will still ticket you for a log violation. We just can't win. This is all total nonsense.

I'm sure all of you guys have been in this position before. My question is, what do you guys usually do once your 11 or 14 is up and you have to park the truck for the night, but there is nowhere to park? What advice can you give me which will not result in a parking ticket or log violation? I'm really out of ideas here and would appreciate any input you can give me.

I blame all these truck parking problems on the stupid 14 hour rule. All the rule does is causes a majority of the trucks to be on the road at the same time and off the road at roughly the same time. Therefore you have 100 trucks vying for 15 available parking spots. DOT just doesn't understand this I guess. If safety is what they are really concerned with, how is it safe to have most of the trucks all on the road and off the road at the same time?!? The 14 hr rule forces more drivers to drive while tired so they can get to where they need to be before their 14 runs out. This leaves them no time to take a nap if they get tired and need one. Instead, they are forced to continue driving through the fatigue so they can stay on schedule and get to their customer on time.

So does anyone have any tips for parking the truck for 10 straight hours when your time is up and you are struggling to find any spots open at truck stops or Rest Areas? What should you do if this is the case? What CAN you do without getting a parking ticket or log violation? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189 View Post
I drive OTR, and most nights I continue to run into the problem of not being able to find a parking spot at a truck stop or Rest Area past 9pm. This is really starting to get frustrating, since you are required by the stupid government regulations to find a safe place to park your rig for 10 straight hours (assuming you aren't doing a split), and your 11 hrs are up or your 14 hour clock is up, but yet every truck stop in the area you're in is filled up after 9pm. Then you try to park on an on-ramp and they will give you a parking ticket. You try to park in a Wal-Mart and they will call the local police to make you move your rig. This is crazy!!! How can they have all these government regulations in place and enforce them when they don't have the infrastructure (enough places to park trucks) for doing so?!?

If you exceed your 11 hrs to continue looking for a spot to park the truck for the night, they will still ticket you for a log violation. We just can't win. This is all total nonsense.

I'm sure all of you guys have been in this position before. My question is, what do you guys usually do once your 11 or 14 is up and you have to park the truck for the night, but there is nowhere to park? What advice can you give me which will not result in a parking ticket or log violation? I'm really out of ideas here and would appreciate any input you can give me.

I blame all these truck parking problems on the stupid 14 hour rule. All the rule does is causes a majority of the trucks to be on the road at the same time and off the road at roughly the same time. Therefore you have 100 trucks vying for 15 available parking spots. DOT just doesn't understand this I guess. If safety is what they are really concerned with, how is it safe to have most of the trucks all on the road and off the road at the same time?!? The 14 hr rule forces more drivers to drive while tired so they can get to where they need to be before their 14 runs out. This leaves them no time to take a nap if they get tired and need one. Instead, they are forced to continue driving through the fatigue so they can stay on schedule and get to their customer on time.

So does anyone have any tips for parking the truck for 10 straight hours when your time is up and you are struggling to find any spots open at truck stops or Rest Areas? What should you do if this is the case? What CAN you do without getting a parking ticket or log violation? Thanks in advance.

Where was that Walmart that called the police to make you move your truck??? Except in NJ/NY/CT.......most every Walmart allows truck parking, as long as the truck is on the perferal areas of the lot. There are quite a few Walmarts that have truck specific parking. The biggest detriment to trucks continuing to be able to park at Walmart.......Is the drivers themselves. The same drivers who can't walk inside a building at Truck-stops to use the restroom, have the same problem at Walmart. They think that the parking lot is their toilet and their garbage dump.

As far as parking the truck at truckstops......You have to plan your day and your route to allow yourself to be able to find "Room at the Inn". The I-95 corridor is always tough to find safe truck parking. So.......stay away from the I-95.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Start your day early and end it early. You say all the trucks are pulling off to park at whatever time then pull in before that and be the first out in the AM, Or just drive at night.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I've been to Wal Marts all over the country that won't let you park on their lot, even to go shopping, let alone for 10hrs. Examples, I66 - Staunton VA, I70 - Indianapolis IN, I70 - Columbus OH. There's 3 examples not on I-95. But, I don't blame them, either. It's their property.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM

The Wal-Mart that called the police to come and make me move was in Coffeyville, KS.

I always try to start my day early and end it early when possible, but your appointment times and other things usually don't make this possible all the time. I wish they did, but they don't, at least not for me.

How about parking on the on-ramps in rural areas? Has anyone here ever had to do so? If you have, did anyone give you a ticket or make you move? I know on-ramps aren't the safest places to park a truck for the night, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

How about any other places where you have parked for the night? How about a Lowe's, or a Home Depot? They usually have big lots. Has anyone ever parked at one of those places for the night when they had no other options?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some have signs which don't allow for truck parking. Most places will allow parking as long as you don't interfere with customer parking. I have also see a number of Walmarts that have "NO TRUCK PARKING" signs on the lot. Most don't seem to mind. I hope that those who do park will not leave their garbage or urine on the lots. If a business is nice enough to allow you to park, then don't abuse it by leaving the lot in a mess. If you have garbage or urine, either use their garbage or wait until you can dispose of it without littering.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Like repete said, drive at night or if u are at a customers lot and just got loaded, sat there for 3 hrs already, might aswell make it 10 and start with a fresh clock and plenty of hours. drive into the night. Parking is always available between the hours of say 4am and 4pm... Parking on ramps is nto as dangerous as they say, the further you are from civilization the better, just make sure the state you are in allows it. In GA its a $140 fine.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I think part of the parking situation is too many drivers parking in truck stops and going home. My personal opinion is find a place other than a truck stop to park while at home so drivers needing their break have a place to park. What is up with drivers parking everywhere in a truck stop or rest area except the marked spots. I understand when the lot is full but when it is empty and they park on the end of the scale and go to the bunk its annoying. We have a hard time parking as we pull doubles I want to go take a shower and everybody has taken all the non marked spots and the lot is half empty although I can't get in the spots with doubles. Can guys just not back?

Sorry rant OFF!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Rookie

A little pocket truck stop guide can come in handy. It has a lot of smaller truck stop locations that always have parking available even late at night. Most prefer Flying J, Pilot, Petro and TA but I have pulled in some of the smaller lots after midnight and found parking.

An exAmple would be Stanton, Tn exit 42 on I 40 eastbound. There is a Pilot there that is a dam sardine can. It fills up by 5pm. Just down the highway 5 miles to the east is another Truck stop at the 47 with PLENTY of parking even late at night. Just look for that truck stop guide and go to smaller no name truck stops.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
I think part of the parking situation is too many drivers parking in truck stops and going home. My personal opinion is find a place other than a truck stop to park while at home so drivers needing their break have a place to park. What is up with drivers parking everywhere in a truck stop or rest area except the marked spots. I understand when the lot is full but when it is empty and they park on the end of the scale and go to the bunk its annoying. We have a hard time parking as we pull doubles I want to go take a shower and everybody has taken all the non marked spots and the lot is half empty although I can't get in the spots with doubles. Can guys just not back?

Sorry rant OFF!
I agree pull through spots should be reserved for the doubles trucks and trucks should park in designated spots when available... It seems some are lazy, some are rookies too afraid to try and back in.