User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Some days if all pull throughs and non spots are taken I can park in 4 or 5 back in spots if they are side by side, but I really hate doing that. I have gotten dirty looks, the #1, and cursed at for doing so but what else am I to do. I never understood the difficulties of parking doubles until I pulled them. The west coast is a little better many trucks stops have designated doubles only parking.

Happy trucking!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_in_Ohio View Post
A little pocket truck stop guide can come in handy. It has a lot of smaller truck stop locations that always have parking available even late at night. Most prefer Flying J, Pilot, Petro and TA but I have pulled in some of the smaller lots after midnight and found parking.

An exAmple would be Stanton, Tn exit 42 on I 40 eastbound. There is a Pilot there that is a dam sardine can. It fills up by 5pm. Just down the highway 5 miles to the east is another Truck stop at the 47 with PLENTY of parking even late at night. Just look for that truck stop guide and go to smaller no name truck stops.
The only thing that place has to offer is parking....unless they cleaned up the building in the last three years. Potholes and dust was all I could stand!!

There are a couple truckstops just west of Stanton, one at the 35 and another at the 38....IIRC.......that usually have parking. One is branded BP....and they have decent food.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_in_Ohio View Post
A little pocket truck stop guide can come in handy. It has a lot of smaller truck stop locations that always have parking available even late at night. Most prefer Flying J, Pilot, Petro and TA but I have pulled in some of the smaller lots after midnight and found parking.

An exAmple would be Stanton, Tn exit 42 on I 40 eastbound. There is a Pilot there that is a dam sardine can. It fills up by 5pm. Just down the highway 5 miles to the east is another Truck stop at the 47 with PLENTY of parking even late at night. Just look for that truck stop guide and go to smaller no name truck stops.
that would be my recomendation. If i'm out late at night I look for the independant t/s. Usually they have parking, if I need a shower, I can grab it the next day.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I have one of those exit guides, but what would be really nice is a book that lets you know of the smaller truck stops on US highways. Do they make such a book or website?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM
crb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I have one of those exit guides, but what would be really nice is a book that lets you know of the smaller truck stops on US highways. Do they make such a book or website?
They are in the pocket addition and large addition truck stop guide I have. They are on a page after the interstates and listed by city in alphabetical order. It can be harder to find one while rolling because you need to cross reference with a map to figure out where they are since there aren't exit numbers.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 PM

That was one good thing about driving a flatbed.Most of the time I could start early and be parked and showered before the rodeo began in the parking lot.Those were the days,sure wish they would call my number I need a shower.Oh wait I am at home.Have a great day.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 AM

It's all in the planning. If you can get where you need to be in time to find parking, great. If you're thinking you might be running a little too late, do a split: drive what you can, take an 8 with good parking, drive what you have left, then do your laundry, take a shower or grab the other 3 at your destination. That works particularly well in the winter months when the solar powered trucks are off the road by 1600.

This might help: TruckStopGuide.com It works. It has 4 or 5 different search options and It brings up a lot of the places that Google, Bing, etc. can't seem to find. If you still have doubts about parking, use Google maps (or whichever) to get a sky shot. That's also a good rule of thumb for Walmart . . look at a sky shot and see if there are any trucks (or truck stains) in the picture.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post

I picked up a copy of "The Next Exit" for when I was on vacation and it really came in handy. It lists Walmarts/Lowes/Home depotgas stations and truck stops along with food and even lists how far off the interstate.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Rookie

I look for industrial parks, alot of them allow street parking. If I know I can be gone before the store opens, I've even parked near the loading dock of a store. The couple of times I was awakened in the morning by the ship/recv ppl, I acted like I was at the wrong location and didnt realize it, for example "this isn't 123 Maine Street? d@mn, sorry I'll leave" lol, it works.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Since I run a regional dedicated gig, I have it easy. I know the truck stops in my running area, how big they are, what they offer (food, showers, fuel, scales, etc.), and when the parking circus begins. I also know which truck stops have Dollar General stores near them (that's who I deliver to). Nobody gives me a second look at Troutville, VA when I pull around the side of that DG store to do a 10 hour break. A lot of us will use stores as last-ditch efforts to find a place to park, especially if we're nowhere near a truck stop, or if we run out of hours while delivering at a store. We also can stay at our shop across the street from the distribution center when we're in South Boston.
Needless to say, I didn't have those luxuries when I was OTR.
Oh, and Malaki, weren't you referencing the Wal-Mart in Front Royal, VA on I-66, instead of Staunton?