User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which companies really give you the advertised pay rate?

I don't want to end up getting in with a company that messes with the pay, actually paying you less than the advertised cpm regardless of their reason. And I am not talking about the miles... I am talking about saying you'll be paid $.xx/mi and then tell you some horsecrap about the real pay being reduced because you're getting per diem pay. Evidently Schneider pays like that, from what I have read.

What companies will take a driver who is fresh from training and not hose around with the pay? And what will be the result if you can get a company that deals with you straight on the pay? Less miles?

Has anyone checked out the claims made by the (supposed) driver at richtruckdriver.com ? Says he makes over 50 cpm and sleeps at home every night, driving only 5 days per week. I know for an OO, that's not much to brag on. But, for a company driver that doesn't want the headaches that come with repair bills and accountants, that's pretty good pay.

All knowledgeable input appreciated. = )

Last edited by AsphaltVoyager; 05-29-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I have not been in the market in a long time till now, so ill keep what you said in mind (thanks!)

Per diem is what you claim on your tax return as a deduction, companies try to frame it as something else but never allow a company to calculate an advance on your tax return into your pay- ever! This has been discussed on this forum before and i dont remember how it works out but if im not mistaken you end up being taxed on an advance to your tax return if you accept a per diem from your company! You end up paying more tax in the end, maybe even owing tax at the end of the fiscal year. Do not deal with a company that forces you to take a per diem. I say again: Per diem is not additional pay, not to be added to your cpm.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that most carriers pay what they advertise. If not they would be getting sued on a regular basis. Not all carriers pay per diem. Those who do usually offer it as an option. Most carriers are not going to pay drivers $0.50/mile. I would seriously doubt that this guy makes that much and is home every night. However, some LTL carriers do pay drivers pretty well. You have to look at the average miles that a driver runs along with the mileage pay to get an accurate picture of his actual income.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Default Thanks, GMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think that most carriers pay what they advertise. If not they would be getting sued on a regular basis. Not all carriers pay per diem. Those who do usually offer it as an option. Most carriers are not going to pay drivers $0.50/mile. I would seriously doubt that this guy makes that much and is home every night. However, some LTL carriers do pay drivers pretty well. You have to look at the average miles that a driver runs along with the mileage pay to get an accurate picture of his actual income.
As I recall, it was not an "option" with C. R. England, but that probably comes as no surprise.

He shows his paystubs on the site, minus a considerable amount of information that's been blacked out. But, weekly, monthly, and annual (YTD) pay are shown both in gross and net. Who knows whether they're authentic or not, though. As for the guy's miles, even at $.50/mile, to make $1544 in a week, he'd have to drive about 3100 miles. Now... given that he says he drives only 5 days, that gives him only 55 hours to drive those miles, meaning he doesn't log any time for fueling, scales, meals, or loading/unloading. Ummmmm.... I think I call B.S. on his claim. Not saying it's impossible... just entirely unlikely. I mean... how many 100% drop-n-hook companies are there, anyhow? And... what company gives you 2 days off on weekends?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Senior Board Member

They aren't going to lie about the pay. It's all the stuff they DON'T tell you...the amount of time sitting at shippers/recievers....waiting to find loads...and a whole bunch of other little stuff you only learn thru experience. Coming into the industry EXPECTING to make $50k per year right off the bat is where a lot of disillusionment originates.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
They aren't going to lie about the pay. It's all the stuff they DON'T tell you...the amount of time sitting at shippers/recievers....waiting to find loads...and a whole bunch of other little stuff you only learn thru experience. Coming into the industry EXPECTING to make $50k per year right off the bat is where a lot of disillusionment originates.
this is spot on.........
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
That's true... Then again, I DID gross over $50k in my first and second full fiscal years of trucking (am on year 3 now). I just wasn't expecting it.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
That's true... Then again, I DID gross over $50k in my first and second full fiscal years of trucking (am on year 3 now). I just wasn't expecting it.
VP...what do you credit your numbers to?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Board Regular

Jeez, I have been doing this 7 years now and still haven't cracked 50k yet But my local job does give me the most lifestyle for my money tho so I guess I can't grumble too bad.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet1 View Post
VP...what do you credit your numbers to?
The $40/trailer unload pay, $11/16/16.50 stop pay (They changed it on us a couple times), and better than average mileage pay. While I don't run many miles, I average 4-5 trips per week ($160-200 for unload pay alone), and 10-15 stops ($165-247.50 in stop pay), and 1500 miles ($645). Some weeks are better, some worse.
That's all due to me being on this particular dedicated account. When I was running 48 state, I was barely doing 2000 miles a week (at $.26/mile).