User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Partially-disabled newbie driver looking for work

Hi everyone.

I got my CDL (including passenger and school bus endorsement) back in August of 2010 and I've been driving schoolbuses since that time. I wanted to drive trucks but I had to take the bus jobs because they were local and I was wrapping up the sale of a business I owned near my home. Now I want to find a job driving OTR, dumptrucks, intermodal, etc; anything with non-touch freight.

But the problem I keep running into is that I need to drive automated/automatic trucks because I can't use my left leg in driving (due to a prosthesis). However, all the companies I have applied to tell me that, even though they do have automatic trucks, they will not hire anyone unless you can drive both automatic and manual transmission.

Can anyone point me to some companies where this would not be a problem or give me some advice? I need to drive a truck because bussing does not pay well enough for me to pay my bills.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Board Regular

Their excuse is just that. They are buying auto-shifts and putting newbies in them because they know they have them captive due to their inability to shift gears. Do you have your medical waiver yet?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfg View Post
Their excuse is just that. They are buying auto-shifts and putting newbies in them because they know they have them captive due to their inability to shift gears. Do you have your medical waiver yet?
Thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstood my question. I WANT to drive only automatic transmission because I can't use my left leg for manual. But companies are telling me that they will only hire drivers who can drive automatic AND manual. This is even though many of them do have automatic trucks.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Interstate Dist. was mostly auto-shifts but is going back to manuals. U.S. Express I think is still auto-shifts.

Tags
automatic, disability, disabled, newbie