User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian roberts View Post
you jumped on this like a bunch of vultures. how about this one: Do you float the gears or double clutch? What do the carriers expect when you road test?
:bigthink:

Squawk Squawk Squawk!!

:bigthumbsup:

I can't reply as to what a "carrier" expects, by whether I float the gears or double clutch depends entirely on the situation.

All things being equal, I float the gears 99% of the time. But there are times where double clutching has to been done. Of course.......floating when you're dragging a tank is different than floating when you're dragging anything else. Sometimes, if the liquid is running fast, you're gonna skip a couple gears catching up with the surge.........that is when floating is especially useful. But......That's when you're dragging a tank. :lol:
Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 AM

I used to know a girl who worked under the table. She could wrap her............. never mind.She got paid also.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Brian, I float the gears! What do the carriers expect, double clutching? I know how to double clutch up but not down, this is why I have to go to cdl school!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
Brian, I float the gears! What do the carriers expect, double clutching? I know how to double clutch up but not down, this is why I have to go to cdl school!
Im the same way. I can not double clutch going down. Been driving for 9 years. I always told them on the road test that i dont use the clutch. It was never a problem. As long as i didnt grind the gears.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Every road test I've had, the test person has always told me to drive the truck the way I normally drive, which is floating. As for grinding the gears, you should've been in the truck when I did my road test for Celadon. After 3.5 years in an autoshift, I had damn near forgotten how to change gears at all. When I explained it to him, he said he definitely understood and saw that it was all coming back.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Rookie
Default double clutch

:bow:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
:bigthink:

Squawk Squawk Squawk!!

:bigthumbsup:

I can't reply as to what a "carrier" expects, by whether I float the gears or double clutch depends entirely on the situation.

All things being equal, I float the gears 99% of the time. But there are times where double clutching has to been done. Of course.......floating when you're dragging a tank is different than floating when you're dragging anything else. Sometimes, if the liquid is running fast, you're gonna skip a couple gears catching up with the surge.........that is when floating is especially useful. But......That's when you're dragging a tank. :lol:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
You do it the exact same way as you up shift.

Let's say you want to go from 10th to 9th. What you do is push in the cluth take truck out of 10th release clutch rev engine up push clutch in and go to 9th release cluth and there you go. If you need to till you get used to it just rev the engine up to wide open befor you push the clutch and go to the next gear. It is always better to go into gear with the rpms droping instead of climbing.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
It is always better to go into gear with the rpms droping instead of climbing.
Not to split hairs (or gears), but it's actually better to go into gear when the rpms MATCH, but I understand what you are getting at. I think you meant it's better to not slam into a gear with torque being applied to the engine. That's not floating anyway... that's stupidity.