User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink In search of experience building opportunity

Hi All!

I have wanted to be a professional driver for a long time and am trying to find a way to get a foot in the door and get the wheels turning. I believe I can be a solid asset to any company willing to give me a chance, I'm just having trouble locating that opening. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Hi All!

I have wanted to be a professional driver for a long time and am trying to find a way to get a foot in the door and get the wheels turning. I believe I can be a solid asset to any company willing to give me a chance, I'm just having trouble locating that opening. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated!
Do you have your CDL?? That is where you start.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Rookie

Perhaps I should have opened with a little bit more of my background which is as follows:

I've taken the knowledge tests and have a class A CDL permit with endorsements for doubles/triples, tankers, and hazmat.

I am looking at schools to give me some hands on training but the schools are expensive so I am trying to build some credibility in order to get a pre hire that would help me obtain funding to attend a training program.

I applied for my HTAP background check and was fingerprinted at the end of March. The TSA has told me to expect the check to be done by the end of April. So I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome of that hopeful it will give me some leverage to open the door.

I have maintained a clean driving record for over 6 years now. During 4 of those years I was a survey crew chief responsible for driving a company pickup truck and running a three man survey crew, however the local engineering field went down the drain and I was cut loose about a year and a half ago.

Truck driving is something I've always wanted to do and I'm trying to figure out just how to get in the door and behind the wheel.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Perhaps I should have opened with a little bit more of my background which is as follows:

I've taken the knowledge tests and have a class A CDL permit with endorsements for doubles/triples, tankers, and hazmat.

I am looking at schools to give me some hands on training but the schools are expensive so I am trying to build some credibility in order to get a pre hire that would help me obtain funding to attend a training program.

I applied for my HTAP background check and was fingerprinted at the end of March. The TSA has told me to expect the check to be done by the end of April. So I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome of that hopeful it will give me some leverage to open the door.

I have maintained a clean driving record for over 6 years now. During 4 of those years I was a survey crew chief responsible for driving a company pickup truck and running a three man survey crew, however the local engineering field went down the drain and I was cut loose about a year and a half ago.

Truck driving is something I've always wanted to do and I'm trying to figure out just how to get in the door and behind the wheel.
If you were laid off....check with the state employment agency and get them to pay for your driving school. You have to get that out of the way. Or know someone who is willing to take responsibility for you and will train you.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Rookie

I fall into the dislocated worker category and should qualify for the state WIA funding. Main obstacle I'm seeing is obtaining a pre hire from a company that I'd like to work for. There are just so many out there to sort through. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:06 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
I fall into the dislocated worker category and should qualify for the state WIA funding. Main obstacle I'm seeing is obtaining a pre hire from a company that I'd like to work for. There are just so many out there to sort through. Thanks for your time.
That is how I got MY CDL.... from scratch. You are way ahead but you DO need to get the driving school somehow. I forgot about the prehire requirement.... but it wasn't a problem. Have you TALKED to the WIA counselor at your JobBank, employment office...whatever? They can HELP you! Mine suggested several schools but (with a wink) told me THIS one could easily GET the prehire so I could get the funding. You see.... it's just a formality. They don't even have to hire you after graduation... [And YOU don't have to take the OFFER!] ... but SOMEONE will!

The other method is to contact the Mega-Carriers that HIRE FROM YOUR REGION (they don't have to BE in your area....) With your MVR and "credentials" (permit and endorsements) ONE of them will want you to hire on and PAY (through payroll deductions) for your "additional training." Six months to a year later.... you are free to pursue your career in ANY fashion you desire..... provided you haven't had ANY kind of bump or accident in their truck!

Or they will give you a raise and you keep driving for them if you LIKE them. It's not a bad way to get your foot in.... especially for someone like you who HAS the permit and endorsements, but just needs some training time in a truck!

Hope this helps.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Check the company listings on this forum. Many of the larger carriers are listed along with hiring requirements. Some will hire those who are inexperienced. You may check to see if you have a driver training program at a local community college. It will be cheaper than a private school and some grants or student loans may be available.