User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default not new but need help

ok i have about 20 months otr experiance but here is my problem.. in 2008 i had 2 majors and 1 minor. due to the 2 majors in 36 months my liscense was suspended for 90 days. now i have been out of a truck for over a year. i am getting turned down from all companies big and small.. there has got to be something i can do or a company that will work with me and give me a chance. does anyone have any advice for me or know of a company or owner operator that would be willing to let me drive for them.. thanks for the help and advice anyone gives
Old 04-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Did you have 2 major and 1 minor accidents or tickets? You need to provide more details. How long since the suspension?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Rookie

sorry it was 2 majors 1 15 over and 1 improper lane change which was an accident.. the minor was left hand lane violation (HOV Lane).. those tickets were all in 2008 and the suspension was in Aug 2009 for 90 days due to the 15 over and improper lane change.. any other questions just ask or any help.. also I have been out of a truck since Feb 2010.. Thanks again
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Those are serious violations. You will probably need to wait until they drop off your record. Most only go back 3 years when they pull your MVR. The HOV will probably not hurt you, but the 15 over is usually an automatic killer. You might get by with the improper lane change. Most carriers would allow up to 3 moving violations until about a year or so ago. Some will now only allow up to 2 violations. A 15 over on the speed will disqualify you with most carriers. If it had only been 5-10 over it would probably not make as much difference. The problem we all have as carriers is getting drivers past the insurance company. My insurance company would not touch you with a 15 mph speeding violation. Three violations tells a carrier or insurance company that you are careless and are more likely to have an accident or claim. If I were you I would make some calls to carriers and see what they say. You could find one that will take a chance. You might try some dump truck people or cab companies. I have a good friend who was in your situation. He could not buy a job in this business. He finally found a job driving a limousine and charter bus. Those violations should come off your MVR this year. When the time gets close it might be easier to get past the insurance and safety people. It is the 15 over that is causing you the most problem. You cannot get away with being careless in this economic environment.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Rookie

yeah i have learned that the hard way about being careless.. the 15 comes off the 20th of this month and the improper lane change comes of the 6th of next but now more then anything i am getting is the fact that i have been out of a truck for over a year.. the reason i have been out of a truk is because of these violations. i have learned a lot in the past three years as far as tickets and how important it is to keep a good record. all i need is someone to give me a chance to prove myself.. i know that kind of sounds dumb because like you said people look at it as i did it once i will do it again but i have been trying to get back in a truck for well over a year and not been able to so i can honestly say that it has taught me a lesson in this business. all i have wanted to do was drive a truck and when i found out i couldnt it has really been like a knife stabbing me in my back.. yes you can tell i am a little young i am 27 but still trucking is in my blood and want back in one.. thats why i was hoping maybe i could find an owner operator that might be able to do something.. i have a good friend thats record is way worse then mine and still drives he hauls cattle for an owner opp so i know its possible just have to find the right person.. thanks for the help though gman
Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If I were you I would wait until the two tickets come off and would get a copy of my MVR to make sure the tickets are off. It is only a few weeks. Once they are off you can more easily find something. You didn't mention how much driving experience you have, but you might either find a smaller carrier who will take a chance (once the tickets come off) or see if you can find one of the training carriers and get into a training program. They might put you with a trainer for a few weeks to make sure you know what you are doing. If you have at least 2-3 years driving experience you should find a carrier once these drop off your MVR. The bullhaulers sometimes are a little more liberal with their hiring requirements, but they also push the envelope a lot, too. Once these come off your record you really need to make sure that you guard your MVR so that you don't get in this situation again. Remember, CSA is also looking closer at drivers. Whatever might have been on your CSA drops off after 3 years, too. If those tickets were in a commercial vehicle there is a possibility they could affect your score. They stay on your CSA for 3 years.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Rookie

yeah i only have a total of about 20 months experiance.. let me ask you this also, something else that has been said about me getting a job from a few companies are because of the 90 days suspension. it was in aug 2009 would that need to fall off before i will be able to do anything or just the 2 majors which is less then a month.. not sure if you will know or if it will be different companies different rules type thing.. but thanks for all the help you have given and trust me there will be a lot of changes in my driving when and if i can ever get back in a truck. i have definatly learned from my past
Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The suspension will probably stay on your license for 3 years. If it were me, I would wait until the other offenses drop off and then get a copy of your MVR and check for yourself. Some states may not show a suspension if it came from another state, but I would not count on it. If it is still there then you should be prepared to explain what happened.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Rookie

when exactly do tickets "drop off" off ones mvr? from what i can tell by my own mvr tickets dont ever "drop off" or vanish from being listed on there. i say this because i have a speeding ticket for going 15-25 over (got caught going 80 in a 65)from august of 2007 that is still clearly and plainly listed on there nearly 4 years later. i got this ticket before i was trained and got my class b cdl for driving a school bus and have had no infractions since but it is still there. i ask because i was giving serious thought to attending the local cc to get my class A but if this infraction will render me unable to find work after i complete it then it would be a waste of my time.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most insurance companies and carriers only consider your last 3 years. You could check around with a few carriers, but that is the norm. Most states usually don't show anything after 3 years unless you request a longer time period. Most driving schools assist graduates in finding jobs. You could check with them and see what they say.