User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about JB Hunt.Thinking about going with them.What to expect at orientation
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok what do you want to know. I spent many years working in the corporate office ( I dont any more). Tell me how much experience you have, what your DAC looks like...why you are thinking about going with JB...and what job you "think" you are getting after orientation.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Rookie
Default jb hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer View Post
Ok what do you want to know. I spent many years working in the corporate office ( I dont any more). Tell me how much experience you have, what your DAC looks like...why you are thinking about going with JB...and what job you "think" you are getting after orientation.
I have 7/8 yrs experience clean Dac clean mvr.Have been dealing thru 3rd party recruiting co.My problem is I live in the philippines because of time difference is only way to accomplish anything.I retired here 21/2 yrs ago so that time out of trk limits me to who will hire me.I have not heard many posotive things about JB while i was on road but i ignored because i had no plans to work for them.Have not discussed any particular job but i want OTR solo driver
Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Are you planning on using the truck for home time?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Rookie

anything- are they good/bad to work for.Not looking to get rich but want to stay busy.I have read they will still not have all paperwork done during orientation and still not hire some.I understand the process that a lot will not give proper info,some fail drug test Etc.In my case i am coming from the philippines not a cheap flight so i hope all is done before i leave here and i will have a job
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunton228 View Post
I have 7/8 yrs experience clean Dac clean mvr.Have been dealing thru 3rd party recruiting co.My problem is I live in the philippines because of time difference is only way to accomplish anything.I retired here 21/2 yrs ago so that time out of trk limits me to who will hire me.I have not heard many posotive things about JB while i was on road but i ignored because i had no plans to work for them.Have not discussed any particular job but i want OTR solo driver
Yes, you are kind of at the point where you have to get back in a truck and get some recent experience. And for that reason, JB hunt will serve its purpose. Get some recent time, and them move on. Now, here is the potential problem I see. I havent worked at JB corporate for a few years, but when I was there, verifying the work or checking the criminal history for someone thats been out of the country for a few years was so much of a pain in the ass, it would just not get done, and that person would be refused. I remember getting a great driver who had been living in the Virgin Islands for 6 months. Everything was great on him, but we just had the hardest time getting his criminal record from them. After hours and hours of trying, we just gave up on him. Im not sure if things like that are still going on. But it could very much be a possibility. If you are dealing with a third party recruiter, like I am, he wouldnt be the one verifying your work history. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to just submit an ap, and see what happens. As far as whether or not its a good job or not. I will be honest with you. I hired many drivers there who enjoyed it....one the other side of the coin, I hired many drivers there who hated it. Just like any other job, there are a lot of factors that go into it. You could get a good fleet manager, you could get a bad fleet manager. You might be someone who likes it over there, you might hate it. I dont want to step on another recruiters toes ( hell, I might know them) but you might ask the recruiter if he also recruits for US Xpress. You might be able to get on there. Ive been putting a lot of drivers over there lately, and they have been calling me back saying they are doing great. Still not the best company in the world, but I feel its better than JB.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes, thats been known to happen. Here is the thing about that. From what I saw, yes, a lot of things dont get verified completely before orientation. But in reality those are things the driver should have known about and been honest about them on the ap. What tends to happen is say a the job requires 6 months experience. The driver puts the dates on the ap, and the ap shows 6 months. The driver goes to orienation and they finally get that verification back, and in reality, the driver has 5 months and 29 days......thats the guy that gets sent home.
One of the big things I saw happen when I was there with drivers getting sent home from orientation. Say a driver quits or gets let go from a job, immediately applies at JB, JB runs the DAC, everything looks fine. But the reality was, the driver did something like abandoned a load and quit, it just isnt on the dac yet. Once in orientation, JB finds out about that....then sends him home.
Here is what I would do if i were you and decided to take JB....Once you start talking to the recruiting dept over there, before you buy an expensive plane ticket, ask to talk to one of the recruiting investigators in the office. Tell them your concerns. The investigators are not commissioned based employees, like us "evil recruiters"..lol....They will have no reason to lead you on.
And once again, ask your third party recruiter if he hires for US Xpress, too. If he doesnt, then he doesnt work for the company I think he does, and I dont mind stealing you away from him...lol. Then email me at [email protected] I will see what I can do for you
Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Rookie
Default jb hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer View Post
Yes, you are kind of at the point where you have to get back in a truck and get some recent experience. And for that reason, JB hunt will serve its purpose. Get some recent time, and them move on. Now, here is the potential problem I see. I havent worked at JB corporate for a few years, but when I was there, verifying the work or checking the criminal history for someone thats been out of the country for a few years was so much of a pain in the ass, it would just not get done, and that person would be refused. I remember getting a great driver who had been living in the Virgin Islands for 6 months. Everything was great on him, but we just had the hardest time getting his criminal record from them. After hours and hours of trying, we just gave up on him. Im not sure if things like that are still going on. But it could very much be a possibility. If you are dealing with a third party recruiter, like I am, he wouldnt be the one verifying your work history. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to just submit an ap, and see what happens. As far as whether or not its a good job or not. I will be honest with you. I hired many drivers there who enjoyed it....one the other side of the coin, I hired many drivers there who hated it. Just like any other job, there are a lot of factors that go into it. You could get a good fleet manager, you could get a bad fleet manager. You might be someone who likes it over there, you might hate it. I dont want to step on another recruiters toes ( hell, I might know them) but you might ask the recruiter if he also recruits for US Xpress. You might be able to get on there. Ive been putting a lot of drivers over there lately, and they have been calling me back saying they are doing great. Still not the best company in the world, but I feel its better than JB.
I do thank you very much info you have given will be very helpful.I understand the likes and dislikes.Everyone has there own so no one can can answer if it will be good or bad other than that person.I do have an open mind and reasonably flexible.I just don't want to be sent home[no home]on wednesday with no place to go.I prefer USXPRESS and did apply was posotive until my address popped up [FLORIDA] I'm willing to get my CDL changed to ARKANSAS where my brother lives but now no response.Its very difficult to do much from here but i will keep trying.I have your email add and did send you a message.I have to give the other party a chance since they seem to be trying to find me something.Thanks again
Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunton228 View Post
I do thank you very much info you have given will be very helpful.I understand the likes and dislikes.Everyone has there own so no one can can answer if it will be good or bad other than that person.I do have an open mind and reasonably flexible.I just don't want to be sent home[no home]on wednesday with no place to go.I prefer USXPRESS and did apply was posotive until my address popped up [FLORIDA] I'm willing to get my CDL changed to ARKANSAS where my brother lives but now no response.Its very difficult to do much from here but i will keep trying.I have your email add and did send you a message.I have to give the other party a chance since they seem to be trying to find me something.Thanks again
No problem
Good luck and let us know how it works out.