User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking to get back into driving

Hello,

I'm currently looking to get back into driving truck after being away from it for 3 years. I quit then to go back to school, and now that I finished it my job prospects are very few and far between. Besides, I really don't think I want to work in the field I graduated in. I could make more money driving truck again for certain, and I'm a single 25 year old guy with no wife or kids, so driving wouldn't be too bad of an option for me. At least I know what I'm getting into.

I drove for Swift back in 2007 and got 9 months of OTR experience. I would really prefer to not drive for Swift again (they are too big, you're just a number) but I'm leaving all my options open. However, since my experience is 3 years old, I'm worried companies might not count it when deciding whether to hire me or not. I'm definitely willing to go out for 5 weeks or so with a trainer if the company would require me to. It could never hurt to get back into the swing of things.

I would really like to find some dedicated account or steady run if possible, however I realize it's unlikely I'll be able to jump right into that position and might have to go OTR again.

This all brings me to my question: Do you guys know of any smaller companies (NOT megahaulers) that are good to work for who are looking for drivers at this time? Can anyone just throw some company names out there for me? And is there any advice you would have to someone who wants to get back into driving? I live in western PA if that matters.

I know it's not the greatest job in the world, trust me. I have lived it before, even though it was kinda brief. But in my situation right now, I'm starting to think it might be the best option for me right now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Did you leave Swift on good terms? If so, I'd go back to them and get rolling again. You know what to expect and whats expected of you. The Target and Sears accounts are steady enough and I'd think either would be a great way to reacquaint yourself with other companies running where and how you want to run. I think you'll find it's a lot easier to get hired away from Swift as a current driver rather than because you used to work for them.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I left Swift on good terms. I offered to give them two weeks notice, but they said that wasn't necessary as long as I returned the truck to my terminal, which is what I did. I didn't make any enemies there, and the terminal manager even told me that if things change and I want to come back sometime to give them a call.

However, Swift was horrible at getting me home to western PA on time, and I would never be home for more than 1 1/2 days when they did. They didn't ever have much freight in my area, so it was hard to get me home and even harder to get me a load leaving home. This is my main concern with going back to them, but I'm still keeping that option open. However, I would like to try to get in with a smaller company if I can before resorting to going back to Swift. Does anyone know of any companies that are smaller than Swift that have a good reputation?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Try PGT Trucking. They are out of western PA....I do believe.

PGT Trucking Company, Flatbed Trucking, heavyhaul trucking companies

another would be Smith Transport

Smith Transport - Dedicated To Excellence

and yet another might be DMBowman

D.M. Bowman Inc. - About Us
D.M. Bowman

That ought to keep you busy for a few minutes.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you very much for the suggestions. That was just what I was looking for!

Last edited by tjv189; 03-02-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189 View Post
Thank you very much for the suggestions.
Por nada.

Now.....if ya wanna slip me 20 bucks...........
Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I can give you some insight into this one, Tom.

For various reasons, I, too, have been out here in the real world for three years now myself. I've spent the last two trying to get back driving off and on. The whole concept of "recent experience" is a real bother for someone in our situation. It starts to go away after 12 months, and after two years, almost nobody will look at you.

In my situation, I am in the end stages of closing the deal on a new job that I hope to be bragging about loudly in a few more days. This guy just looked at me like I had potatoes growing out of my ears when I suggested that it might be a problem since I hadn't driven for three years. "You don't really expect to have any problems, do you?"

No, of course I don't, but tell that to a laundry list of companies who passed me over for exactly that reason. It starts to grind a man down, Tom. I almost had a fantastic job about six months ago, but it fell apart over the "recent experience thing."

I'm looking at this with 11 years under my belt and a spotless record. Considering how rough this has been for me, I think you as a nine-month driver should probably just accept up front that you've got to start at square one with a company that takes inexperienced drivers. If you want to go back after it sooner, rather than later, that's definitely the way to go. I held out for a really good job, because I feel like I deserve one with my track record, but this was the hard road, and the deal is still not, as yet, signed and dotted.