User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default PTDI grad, no job, is moving possible?

So I'm trying desperately hard to find a job that will let me be home every 28 days for my meds, or know 2 weeks out where so I can have them at a local hospital. I was told that graduating from a PTDI course almost guaranteed me a job most anywhere that took little experience. Most companies have nothing leading out of the eastern shore of Maryland. I've been wanting to move to Oregon for sometime and was figured I'd do that after all of my debts were paid, money saved up, and the company had an opening over there. I've been thinking about trying to get a job there and moving. Does anyone know if this is possible? I also wanted to say that I graduated from my class December 12th. I've been told that I'm too old of a graduate to be considered a student. Does anyone know if that's true?

Thank you! I'm really trying to get things straight so I can start doing what I love!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Moving will help with some Co. but make sure you don't go frome one dead zone to another. The length of time from graduation is getting to be a BIG problem. Start calling and put app with everyone! You can start here on this site and hit hundreds at a time BUT many Co don't even look at them they only consider there own app's. BOL and keep looking
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiJami View Post
I've been told that I'm too old of a graduate to be considered a student. Does anyone know if that's true?
how old are you? If you have your CDL most of the big ones will take you.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Default PDTI Grad

"every 28 days for my meds, or now 2 weeks out where so I can have them at a local hospital" What's this about? When you move, you'll probably have to change your license to the new state you reside in. Could be the "meds" thing is offputting for potential employers. BOL
Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
how old are you? If you have your CDL most of the big ones will take you.
I'm almost 24. I meant that I graduated in December and now it's February. I'm being told that I'm not a new enough graduate to be considered as such. I've put in individual apps, used this site twice, bubbajunk.com, and called around for local stuff. 2 companies said they'd work with me to be home but neither like to return my calls/emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord View Post
"every 28 days for my meds, or now 2 weeks out where so I can have them at a local hospital" What's this about? When you move, you'll probably have to change your license to the new state you reside in. Could be the "meds" thing is offputting for potential employers. BOL
I'm positive the medicine if offputting. But if I don't take it, my health doesn't do as well. Considering how much I've improved being on it, I need to stay on it. I have multiple sclerosis. I have no problem changing my license from state to state.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 AM

You know that old saying 'it's a full time job looking for a job'. My husband and I just moved to Southwest Florida, we really like it here and want to stay here. People told us that we wouldn't be able to find a company to hire us out of this area. So I got busy and in one day, 6-8 hours of being on the phone, I found a handful of companies. The caveat for us was not just out of this area, but also fresh out of school and also we want to work as team drivers, so only 1 out of 5 or 6 companies said they would hire us. So my point is, call call call, don't stop calling, I believe there are enough companies out there for anyone to get hired from any area, you just have to put in the work and find them.

Do you have a truck stop or a Peterbilt dealership near you? I found tons of trucker magazines at both of these places, that really helped me to find the companies to call. Trucking Jobs Guide 2010, truckjobseekers.com, team drivers and women in trucking, Independent Trucker Jobs...

Oh and as for the medical thing, I don't know maybe you can leave the details out until after you get hired, just look for a company that can guarantee home time when you need.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'm almost 24. I meant that I graduated in December and now it's February. I'm being told that I'm not a new enough graduate to be considered as such. I've put in individual apps, used this site twice, bubbajunk.com, and called around for local stuff. 2 companies said they'd work with me to be home but neither like to return my calls/emails.

I'm positive the medicine if offputting. But if I don't take it, my health doesn't do as well. Considering how much I've improved being on it, I need to stay on it. I have multiple sclerosis. I have no problem changing my license from state to state.
Have you actually been told, by a doctor that understands DOT requirements for physical fitness, that you can drive truck over the road? You actually passed a DOT physical with MS? OR...did you not inform the examiner that you have been diagnosed with MS?

I don't get it. With over-weight drivers being targeted for disqualification....someone whom has been diagnosed with a muscular disease that is known to cause the inability to control the truck, is declared qualified??

I think you need to sit back and take a good hard look at the situation. IF you are telling all these carriers where you have applied, that you do in fact have MS and are on medication for it.....THAT (the MS) could be the reason you receive no response. I seriously doubt that the insurance company of any carrier, is going to allow you to be behind the wheel of a truck....even if the DOT may say you can be.

Granted...I don't know enough about which diseases are receiving medical wavers. But seriously. Can a degenerative muscular disease be wavered??

Heart disease....Yes.
Diabetes...yes

MS??

These are the disqualifing health disorders, from the FMCSA guidlines, in section;

Quote:
391.41 Physical qualifications for drivers

(3) Has no established medical history or clinical
diagnosis of diabetes mellitus currently requiring insulin for
control;

(4) Has no current clinical
diagnosis of myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, coronary insufficiency,
thrombosis, or any other cardiovascular disease of a variety known to be
accompanied by syncope, dyspnea, collapse, or congestive cardiac
failure.

(5) Has no established
medical history or clinical diagnosis of a respiratory dysfunction likely to
interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle
safely;

(6) Has no current clinical diagnosis of high blood pressure
likely to interfere with his/her ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle
safely;

(7) Has no established
medical history or clinical diagnosis of rheumatic, arthritic, orthopedic,
muscular, neuromuscular, or vascular disease which interferes with his/her
ability to control and operate a commercial motor vehicle safely;

(8) Has no established
medical history or clinical diagnosis of epilepsy or any other condition which
is likely to cause loss of consciousness or any loss of ability to control a
commercial motor vehicle;

(9) Has no mental, nervous,
organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with
his/her ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;
MS is a "neuromuscular" disease. How can even a young man or woman, whom has been diagnosed with it, receive an exemption??

Young man or lady...I don't want to sound cruel....but you need to talk with your doctor and get more in-depth information about your health........and learn more about the stresses this profession places on a healthy body, let alone one with a condition such as you have admitted to having. I can appreciate that you love to travel. I love it myself. But...........you have to be realistic with yourself too.

I have a nephew whom is more than 50% disabled, with Cerebral Palsy. He absolutely loves to drive. BUT.........He knows that driving TRUCKS are beyond his physical capability. He is 28.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Strawberry, I understand. I've been going over my minutes for 3 months now making calls. My family thinks I'm annoying companies by calling so much. But this is my dream, and hopefully soon, my livelihood! I don't know of a Peterbuilt dealership near me. There is a truck stop, but it's quite small. I've been in there and they had some pamphlets; nothing along the lines of what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Have you actually been told, by a doctor that understands DOT requirements for physical fitness, that you can drive truck over the road? You actually passed a DOT physical with MS? OR...did you not inform the examiner that you have been diagnosed with MS?

I don't get it. With over-weight drivers being targeted for disqualification....someone whom has been diagnosed with a muscular disease that is known to cause the inability to control the truck, is declared qualified??

I think you need to sit back and take a good hard look at the situation. IF you are telling all these carriers where you have applied, that you do in fact have MS and are on medication for it.....THAT (the MS) could be the reason you receive no response. I seriously doubt that the insurance company of any carrier, is going to allow you to be behind the wheel of a truck....even if the DOT may say you can be.

Granted...I don't know enough about which diseases are receiving medical wavers. But seriously. Can a degenerative muscular disease be wavered??

Heart disease....Yes.
Diabetes...yes

MS??

These are the disqualifing health disorders, from the FMCSA guidlines, in section;

MS is a "neuromuscular" disease. How can even a young man or woman, whom has been diagnosed with it, receive an exemption??

Young man or lady...I don't want to sound cruel....but you need to talk with your doctor and get more in-depth information about your health........and learn more about the stresses this profession places on a healthy body, let alone one with a condition such as you have admitted to having. I can appreciate that you love to travel. I love it myself. But...........you have to be realistic with yourself too.

I have a nephew whom is more than 50% disabled, with Cerebral Palsy. He absolutely loves to drive. BUT.........He knows that driving TRUCKS are beyond his physical capability. He is 28.

I have passed a DOT physical with the physician knowing full well of my MS. I also had a note from my neurologist stating my medication and that I hadn't had an attack in 3 years. Nothing has been hidden.

MS is not a neuromuscular disease. It's classified as an auto-immune disease. I've studied it my entire life since my mother has it and I'm now the third generation to have it. I drove quite often while in school and had no problem. I've not had any company say they have a problem with the fact that I have MS. It's getting the Tysabri through their medical department. There's no side effects of it and it takes 3 hours to administer, so I don't know why companies are taking so long to decide. But I'm in that stage with a number of them.

Before I spent all of the money I spent to go to school, I talked with my doctor and I thought on it long and hard. I'm not a person to make decisions lightly, oh and I am a young lady.

Last edited by SamiJami; 02-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Other than the possible reservations about your disease, your age can also be a factor with carriers. Some will not hire drivers who are younger than 25, mainly due to insurance requirements. There is a company listing on this forum. You can check minimum hiring requirements and can fill out an online application that will be sent to those carriers which match your qualifications. There are a handful of carriers who do hire inexperienced drivers. Swift, Roehl and Millis are a few. You can find others on the company listing section of this website. All companies set their own policies when it comes to hiring drivers. I think that anything that has the potential to affect your muscles will be a factor with most carriers. If you can find a company that is interested, you may need to jump through a few hoops to get cleared to work. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Strawberry, I understand. I've been going over my minutes for 3 months now making calls. My family thinks I'm annoying companies by calling so much. But this is my dream, and hopefully soon, my livelihood! I don't know of a Peterbuilt dealership near me. There is a truck stop, but it's quite small. I've been in there and they had some pamphlets; nothing along the lines of what you're talking about.

Quote:

I have passed a DOT physical with the physician knowing full well of my
MS. I also had a note from my neurologist stating my medication and that I
hadn't had an attack in 3 years. Nothing has been hidden.

MS is not a
neuromuscular disease. It's classified as an auto-immune disease. I've studied
it my entire life since my mother has it and I'm now the third generation to
have it. I drove quite often while in school and had no problem. I've not had
any company say they have a problem with the fact that I have MS. It's getting
the Tysabri through their medical department. There's no side effects of it and
it takes 3 hours to administer, so I don't know why companies are taking so long
to decide. But I'm in that stage with a number of them.

Before I spent
all of the money I spent to go to school, I talked with my doctor and I thought
on it long and hard. I'm not a person to make decisions lightly, oh and I am a
young lady
You came back with more information. Thank you....Young Lady. See....for years I have thought MS was "neuromuscular" degeneration. Way back in grade school, one of my teachers had it. When I graduated high school (circa 1975), Mz Phillips was reduced to a shaking shell sitting in a wheel chair. So........as a driver with 33 years behind the wheel.........I naturally cringed when I read that you have MS, and that a PDTI certified school actually took your money, knowing that your MS would keep you from getting a driving job. The big hurdle you have to over come, is all those trucking company managers, whom think the same way I did.......that it is a neuromuscular disease. That...and the images of how MS afflicted people are portrayed on TV and in the movies.

That is what you have to get beyond young lady. People whom manage trucks get very nervous when they think about a truck being driven by someone whom could lose control of their muscles........or body. MS is viewed just the same as Epilepsy, when it comes to Trucking Company managers.

Good Luck to you.