User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
You came back with more information. Thank you....Young Lady. See....for years I have thought MS was "neuromuscular" degeneration. Way back in grade school, one of my teachers had it. When I graduated high school (circa 1975), Mz Phillips was reduced to a shaking shell sitting in a wheel chair. So........as a driver with 33 years behind the wheel.........I naturally cringed when I read that you have MS, and that a PDTI certified school actually took your money, knowing that your MS would keep you from getting a driving job. The big hurdle you have to over come, is all those trucking company managers, whom think the same way I did.......that it is a neuromuscular disease. That...and the images of how MS afflicted people are portrayed on TV and in the movies.

That is what you have to get beyond young lady. People whom manage trucks get very nervous when they think about a truck being driven by someone whom could lose control of their muscles........or body. MS is viewed just the same as Epilepsy, when it comes to Trucking Company managers.

Good Luck to you.
Thank you for the luck. You're the first elder to take my correction kindly. Might you have a suggestion as to how I can do that with companies? Or how I can even voice it when there's no box for explanations online, and recruiters won't talk to me until the application is approved? My grandfather thinks I should omit telling about my MS. But I feel that it's not telling the truth on my application, which I have to sign it is, if I don't state it. I've applied to so many places and the only 3 companies gave me a call back; Werner, US Xpress, and CRST. US Xpress was who I wanted to go for while in class so of course I went for them. They've had my file in front of their DOT physician since the beginning of the year and they're still waiting, I'm told. I find it hard to believe. But I spent all of January not applying because I was assured everything would be fine. CRST offered to take me with the Tysabri, but now they won't return my calls. And Werner said they won't guarantee me home every 28 days. I'm still applying. I'm still looking like crazy. I just don't get why I don't get call backs. I have a clean and clear background and driving record. I'd go in with the best score possible for the company. My instructors said I would have it easy. I know I've got what it takes for the entire dealings when it comes to the life. I just wish someone else would see it and hire me! /rant
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiJami View Post
Thank you for the luck. You're the first elder to take my correction kindly. Might you have a suggestion as to how I can do that with companies? Or how I can even voice it when there's no box for explanations online, and recruiters won't talk to me until the application is approved? My grandfather thinks I should omit telling about my MS. But I feel that it's not telling the truth on my application, which I have to sign it is, if I don't state it. I've applied to so many places and the only 3 companies gave me a call back; Werner, US Xpress, and CRST. US Xpress was who I wanted to go for while in class so of course I went for them. They've had my file in front of their DOT physician since the beginning of the year and they're still waiting, I'm told. I find it hard to believe. But I spent all of January not applying because I was assured everything would be fine. CRST offered to take me with the Tysabri, but now they won't return my calls. And Werner said they won't guarantee me home every 28 days. I'm still applying. I'm still looking like crazy. I just don't get why I don't get call backs. I have a clean and clear background and driving record. I'd go in with the best score possible for the company. My instructors said I would have it easy. I know I've got what it takes for the entire dealings when it comes to the life. I just wish someone else would see it and hire me! /rant
Well....first off....anyone unwilling to be corrected........or properly informed .........shouldn't expect their opinion to account for much.

That said, I really do not have a decent suggestion for what you can or should do. Hiding the MS when applying is not a good idea. Once it is found out....and it would be found out, I assure you......You would be toast....as far as "Hire-ability" is concerned. Your instructors at school explained how DAC works I would assume.....and DAC reports can be the "Kiss of death" in this profession.

Hang in there with USX. Pester them as much as you can afford to pester them (use landlines and their toll free numbers). Heck....they just may hire you because you were persistant.One of their sister companies might be worth a look too. Abilene Motor Express...out of Richmond Virginia.

Abilene Motor Express -- Welcome

Another you could try....that doesn't pay as well while you train...but is a sight better than CRST or Werner would ever be....is Knight Transportation. Their nearest terminal to you would be Carlisle PA.

Home | Knight Transportation

Young lady.....I have to admire your determination....But I am also going to be really blunt here. You are looking at a huge mountain to conquer here....and you are standing at the base, looking straight up the cliff, with your head tossed back.

I just googled the medz you are taking. Just the warning label is enough to give any trucking recruiter that can read and comprehend, shivers. I am sure some of the "Medical Revue Officers" are having fits when they see this stuff.

After them....you are scaring the bejeezus out of any insurance officer...or safety officer...that is asked to revue your app....IF it made it that far. As if your medical condition isn't enough for them to contend with....You are young....and female......which I am certain has some of these people breaking out in a sweat. Young...they can deal with. Female...that they deal with happily....but a young female with what can be foreseen as a dibilitating illness, pestering them for a driving postion.......THAT most likely scares them to the core......(if they have one!!) Ignoring you is the only way they get to keep their butts out of trouble.

Again.....Good luck to you.