User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question SAP Question

I made the decision to get back into trucking after a 30 year absence and decided to go back to a trucking school. This past year I was on disability for a serious illness and due to the medication the doctors prescribed I had really bad side effects. The docs tired all kinds of medication and nothing helped. They consequently prescribed medical cannabis 9I live in CA) which helped with the side effects. As the doctors stopped all medication I too stopped the cannabis. Total time used was 3 1/2 months.

When I registered for trucking school I had to take the required DOT drug test. I tested positive and had to go through the SAP process. I was denied admission into the school until I completed the SAP program. I have since completed the program and test negative but the school is requiring me to find an employer willing to consider hiring me before they will re admit me to school. Before the drug test I had received 4 pre hire offers but the school is saying I now will have a hard time finding an employer even though the SAP counselor has said my case was unusual and not indicative of someone with a drug problem.

My question is whether anyone knows a company that might give me a chance as I have an excellent work history and owned my own trucking company in the past, am reliable, hard working and ready and willing to work.

Also is this really going to be a deal breaker for me getting back into the industry?
Thanks
Peter
Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Its going to make things a lot harder, why didn't you wait till the pot was out of your system before going to school?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Rookie

I did wait 42 days and thought I had another 2 weeks before the actual start of school but the school schedule me for the test the day I completed registration. No excuses and it is my responsibility and had I known how it would have turned out and potentially how it may impact my employment possibilities I would never have done the pot and just lived with the pain.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

How many test do you need to do in the next 12 months? Big liability for a carrier to accept.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Rookie

I'm not sure because that is information the driver doesn't get. What I do know is the SAP counselor felt after we finished our assessment that in my specific situation I did not have a problem but fell within that gray area where the DOT regulations don't have provisions for medical situations. He suggested no further action is required verbally to me and also said he would personally speak with any potential employer who might consider me or who has any questions concerning my results. The DOT regulations state that I have to do a minimum of 6 drug tests within the next 12 months which I am willing to cover the expense do to.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member

If you plan on ever driving make sure you do the tests even if you don't get a job. Otherwise you'll have to start all over with the SAP.

Tags
drug test, employers, job, sap