User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Microwave/watts/converter question, what do you suggest?

I am going broke eating at truck stops. Company will install microwave for me as long as I buy equipment...

Any suggestions on a good microwave? What kind of converter do you suggest? What am I looking at about 700 watts? I have not really looked but do they have lower watt microwaves?:hellno:

I am looking at the lowest possible watts/converter combo that will warm up simple canned foods etc..

Last edited by Lost_in_Ohio; 10-12-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd say a minimum of a 1,500 watt invertor. I have a Cobra one that I used for years with no issues. As far as a microwave, just go to Wal-Mart and get a basic one.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Board Regular

We have what I can tell is a 1500 watt inverter.. says ingersoll rand on it (company provided) and we have a 900 watt Emerson micro from walmart.. works flawlessly. We also use a hamilton beach water heater for multiple purposes (cooking spaghetti, coffee, oatmeal, hot water so the lady can wash her face), an HB electric skillet we use for cooking everything under the sun. We had a 1350 watt toaster oven/convection oven we used for a long time but it was bulky so we took it off the truck for now but we're considering putting it back in. If you need/want a fridge check out Truckfridge.com. We got one that we installed in our company cascadia at the last company for about 500.00 and worked well.. now we're sporting a Volvo 780 and have no need since this one came with a fridge.. but its a good suggestion if you keep burning out coolers.

Look around here, youll find a ton of hints to use for cooking.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

My parents have a microwave that also has a toaster oven-like feature. It'll actually bake food. Might be worth checking out.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

MRV2012UL - PowerVerter RV Inverter/Charger - Quiet Mobile Power for RV & Camping Applications

I've had this for over 2.5 years in my current truck and it kicks butt. 4000 peak watts, 3000 for 60 minutes and 2000 watts all day long. When I get home, I plug an extension cord to the externally mounted outlet and the unit conditions and maintains my batteries for me. Probably not something for a company truck, but if it's your own truck... this thing kicks butt.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Had the same type setup on a company truck for 3 years and it ran the micro, tv and dorm fridge/freezer. Worked great, but of course we got lucky that the company didn't care about the inverter size.