User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree with Luzon, Try not to get him "involved with too many home problems. He will probably get home sick pretty darn quick. Also take it easy with the " I miss you's and the " I wish you were here with me". Sitting behind the wheel give a person to much time to think some times. You don't want him to start second guessing his job choice this early into it.. As with alot of people on this board, you didn't put were you live. Depending on were you live, i was thinking that after getting a year or probably two under his belt that he could find a local job paying more money then an Over The Road job.. :smokin:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I am having a serious issue with his Trainer.... why can he not talk to you on the phone about whatever he wants when they are stopped? As you stated, this isn't the military, and he is a grown ass man. I think some of these trainers get a huge ego when in themselves are usually rookies. I would seriously question this guys rules. Sounds like a lot of BS to me.

he should be able to call his family when ever he wants to (well not while driving I guess) but there is absolutely no reason he can't call everyday and chat. If I was you, I would call his company and bring this up to them. IT IS NOT ETHETICAL OR COMPANY POLICY
+1, me too!!

We should clue her in on the alternative uses of a cheeseburger. :lol:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
+1, me too!!

We should clue her in on the alternative uses of a cheeseburger. :lol:
NO NO NO.... thats a bad idea, Just ask the Rev
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Rookie
Talking Re: Husband New to trucking .....Help me understand please!!

Hello,
@Gman, Thank you for your information, it is very helpful “If he is pulling a van then the only time he will be out in the elements is when he does his pretrip, fuel or to open or close the doors on the trailer while loading and unloading.” Ok, thanks for this info, I was watching Ice truckers on TV and it looks like some serious hard work and it was cold, but there in Alaska, actually my husband called me yesterday he said he has too much clothes and he is sending his bag home through the mail. (The recruiter from western express told him to bring 2 wks worth of clothes) Oh and he just got his first pay check, it was a little small because he took an advance but we can pay his cell phone bill….
@Golfhobo, We live in Virginia, he said he will be out of “Emporia” I’m not sure, and he will be “regional” I am assuming that this from Virginia to like Maine? I don’t know exactly. Im not sure if he knows that information yet.
@steel horse cowboy, You sound like me I was angry at first then I just let it go, I’m just grateful to hear from my husband at least once a day, I call my mother-in-law and tell her that her son is doing great. My husband never calls me when he is driving nor does he text, I even recommended that he turn his phone off when he is driving so I can leave messages. I actually got mad because he wouldn’t tell me where he was but he said; he could tell me I guess that’s not information that truckers are not suppose to give out or something, but getting mad at him doesn’t help him, so I just pray on it…lol.
@Luzon and Freebird This is really funny that you said this “" I miss you's and the " I wish you were here with me". Sitting behind the wheel give a person to much time to think sometimes.” UUUmm my husband will not hang up the phone until he hears me say I love him and I miss him, (we just got married in January 2010) Luckly the house is doing great my son is doing great so I do not tell him about any problems we are having (although bill paying is having some problems) I want him to learn how to be the best Trucker he can be he wanted to do this since he was a little boy, I will not mess that up for him. (he is 40 something) Hes old job was not making him happy but this job is making him happy and I am happy for him!!! Again Thank you all for your awesome advice I feel much better talking to you!!! Please keep the advices coming!!!!
Again, thank you
And God Bless!!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Lydiae said:

Quote:
(although bill paying is having some problems)
Trainee pay does suck. Only about 300 -400 / wk. Depending on the trainer and his eating style it could take most of his pay check just to get by. Give us more details and maybe we can help with his personal situation and save you guys some $. This is the kind or ***** I (and others) LOVE to help with. Find out what he can and cannot have on the truck. ( Inverter, cooler ect...)

A quick primer: Get a cooler ( $40-$60 at Wal-Mart) Plugs into cig. lighter. Will pay for itself in one week. When you cook, cook like he was there and make him a plate in a microwave safe dish and pop into the freezer. When he leaves from home time back out, stick in the cooler and they will last for a week or more. He can warm it up in any truck-stop microwave.( They don't mind at all ). Always stock the truck up at home when you can but there is always ( well almost always ) a Wal-Mart that has plenty of room for a big truck. Also stock up on plastic forks, knifes and spoons. ( Wendy's has the "heavy duty" ones...lol ).

That's just a start and I'm sure MANY others here will have some good advice for you. It is a kind of learning process, but I need not be painful.

Ridge
Old 10-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Lydiae said:

Trainee pay does suck. Only about 300 -400 / wk. Depending on the trainer and his eating style it could take most of his pay check just to get by. Give us more details and maybe we can help with his personal situation and save you guys some $. This is the kind or ***** I (and others) LOVE to help with. Find out what he can and cannot have on the truck. ( Inverter, cooler ect...)

A quick primer: Get a cooler ( $40-$60 at Wal-Mart) Plugs into cig. lighter. Will pay for itself in one week. When you cook, cook like he was there and make him a plate in a microwave safe dish and pop into the freezer. When he leaves from home time back out, stick in the cooler and they will last for a week or more. He can warm it up in any truck-stop microwave.( They don't mind at all ). Always stock the truck up at home when you can but there is always ( well almost always ) a Wal-Mart that has plenty of room for a big truck. Also stock up on plastic forks, knifes and spoons. ( Wendy's has the "heavy duty" ones...lol ).

That's just a start and I'm sure MANY others here will have some good advice for you. It is a kind of learning process, but I need not be painful.

Ridge
I just re-submitted my app with this company as well and am going to touch base with them come Monday.
If all goes well, I'll probably do the same, or at least get started on the PB/J+Powdered milk regimen that served me right back during my Swift tenure.

Yeah, fast, or tasty food is good as a treat, but it's better to treat it just like that.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Senior Board Member

There are many good meals that can be stored at room temp and be microwaved. Dinty-Moore has several. Also with a cooler he can keep fresh fruit and veggies longer. He needs to eat healthy. Driving a "big truck" is hard work (on the mind if done properly) but not on the body.

More later,

Ridge
Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Red face

Lydiae how's things going with the transition ? If you need to mail anything to your husband - find out who his dispatcher is and give them a call and explain to him he needs warmer clothes and is it possible for you to send it to a Terminal to be waiting for him ... which this coudl be gamble because being a trucker .... there's no guarantee where you'll be heading after dropping off a load and etc. ... his best bet it to buy an extra warm 'long johns' to wear under his clothes till he gets back home ...he can buy these at truck stops ... yes they cost more ... but unless he can get his trainer to pull in to a Walmart for 20minutes ... oh well.......

As your grocery shopping look for items you know he'll eat and won't be a chanelled to prepair in the truck .... sardines, crackers, tuna, jar of pickles or hot peppers ... they help make that bland sandwich a bit more enjoyable ... small squek top mustard and mayo ... quality ziplock bags to store items in his cooler he doesnt want to get wet or dry out ..... small indvidiual packs of salty peanuts and flour torilla shells make a good sub for bread with sandwiches ,,, they don't spoil as fast as bread .... cheese crackers, beef jerky ... many items ... and dont forget those small bottles of juice .... need for him to try to keep a healthy eating habit ... but these items will help keep him feed if he gets stuck in a snow blizer or traffic has stopped on top a mountain due to to much ice on the hwy ..... and always should carry 1-2 gallons of water .... mostly for him to drink but if need be he'll have it there for the truck if it over heats ... and this time of year .... carry a couple extra blankets .... just for snow storms that he has to pull off the road for and stay put until the roads have been reopened - - most the time the company's will take extra money if he idled his truck while being stuck in the ice storm and etc .......extra change of boots so when 1 pair gets wet .. he can put on a dry pair ..... extra pairs of gloves .... most trucks have side boxes .... put extra gloves on both sides of the tractor so he won't have to walk around on the ice and snow to pull out gloves ...... There's so many things he'll have to carry once he was been assigned his own tractor ... tools, rubber mallet, hammer, the list goes on ,,,,

But in the mean time .... be the patience Wife you agreed to be and this profession could turn out to the best things for your whole family ............... the last thing he needs to know is the daily break downs that happen in a home ... screen door broke and so on ... he needs to hear your voice and be assured that you trust his decisions and support him this time apart won't last forever ....If there is anything I can do for you or you just want a view point from an ex-trucker female ... feel free to pm me and I'll so everything I can to help you ....................

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'

Last edited by 4roses; 10-23-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
Driving a "big truck" is hard work (on the mind if done properly)....
...dag... maybe that's where I screwed up.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Lydiae said:

Also stock up on plastic forks, knifes and spoons. ( Wendy's has the "heavy duty" ones...lol ).
Ridge
Wendy's plasticware is the bestest!

If he likes tuna, that Starkist tuna in the pouches is really awesome. I especially like the lemon-pepper. The best part about the pouches - no cleaning or can squeezing needed. Just rip it open and start eating. It's hard to find a healther meal than tuna, assuming you don't add a quart of mayo. Those pouches are a little more expensive than the cans but the convenience more than makes up for it. Bumblebee also has some similar tuna but in a small can, again, ready to eat. They're much easier to eat out of but harder to find.

Last edited by Luzon; 10-23-2010 at 11:32 AM.