User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yes there is a big difference in DRL and headlights most of the time. There is also a relay in the fuse panel the driver can pull out to disable DRL. Screw the company policy a real driver does what they have to, to avoid blinding passing drivers. I have yet to see a truck that can't shut off their cab clearance lights. That actually works really well also, because if you flash your clearance lights I know you have DRL and enough common courtesy to work around it without blinding people.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Board Icon

I can't shut off my clearance lights by themselves. Mine are wired to my headlights. My only option is to either blink all my lights or blind you but since I rarely drive at night I always blink my high beams. It's easier than reaching for the switch on the dashboard when I can just hit the foot switch without removing either hand from the steering wheel.

Now on my personal pickup, there is zero difference between my DRL and actual headlights, they are the same brightness and I cannot make them cut off and on because they are wired in with my parking brake. As soon as it comes off the lights are on whether I want them to be or not.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Yes there is a big difference in DRL and headlights most of the time. There is also a relay in the fuse panel the driver can pull out to disable DRL. Screw the company policy a real driver does what they have to, to avoid blinding passing drivers. I have yet to see a truck that can't shut off their cab clearance lights. That actually works really well also, because if you flash your clearance lights I know you have DRL and enough common courtesy to work around it without blinding people.
What a jerk...

The headlights on my truck come on as soon as I release the parking brakes. This includes the headlights, tail lights, clearance lights, etc. This is ALL controlled via the Body Control Computer. So, should I take a hammer to the computer? After all, it's a company truck, not my own.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I can see Joe is gonna make friends pretty quick around here :lol: :lethimdie: :smokin:
Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Now thats real professional.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Joe Dirt ???
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Rookie

Alright here's the deal. I've got an arachnoid cyst behind my right eye. It creates pressure between my eyes and causes massive headaches. Which are exaggerated by bright lights. Doctors have tried me on all sorts of trucker friendly migraine meds and nothing helps. I see my eye doc once a year and my eyes are perfect. Bright lights at night time seem to not only be a trigger for these headaches but make them much much worse. Surgery is more risky than just leaving the cyst and monitoring it through ct scans. Now I know most of you don't give a damn about any other drivers on the road but your self. But I have lots of trucker friends all over the country and will help out any other drivers at any time. My cb is always on and although I'm only 27 I only participate in respectful conversation over the cb.

How is saying "Screw the company policy a real driver does what they have to, to avoid blinding passing drivers." Being a Jerk. Most of these companies don't give a damn about what their drivers need. And a real driver will do whats necessary to be courteous to other drivers on the road. Flashing your brights at a passing driver who you know is looking directly at your headlights is being a jerk.

I came here with a major issue I see more and more often. When I drive during the day I look to see how many trucks have headlights on and it's very few. Mostly the company trucks that require their drivers to run with them on all the time. The majority of drivers flashing high beams to signal DON"T have DRL. They are just to lazy to reach all the way to the headlight switch and shut them off. They are the real jerks on the road.
I live in Indiana and we have a law that says you can't use your high beams within 500' of another vehicle. I am going to start e-mailing the Indiana state police and the cmv enforcement division about this issue. Maybe if I'm lucky they will see how unsafe and lazy the drivers that use high beams to signal are and start enforcing this law when they see it.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I came here with a major issue I see more and more often. When I drive during the day I look to see how many trucks have headlights on and it's very few. Mostly the company trucks that require their drivers to run with them on all the time. The majority of drivers flashing high beams to signal DON"T have DRL. They are just to lazy to reach all the way to the headlight switch and shut them off. They are the real jerks on the road.
So you are saying that during the daytime it is not OK to flash your brights to signal a truck it is ok to pass?
Because you can't be speaking of at night since you can't tell who has or does not have DRL when everyone has their headlights on......

But anyways, sorry about your condition. Maybe driving a rig isn't a good job for you?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Board Member

I hate the hi beam flash too and wish drivers would just do nothing instead of blinding me.
Joe, I'm kinda surprised your company even lets you drive at night! I bet if the insurance co found out about your condition that would be the end of that! As far as email the police, come on grow up and don't be a tattle tale.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Rookie

I'm not being a tattle tale by e-mailing the police. I wont be calling them on drivers who bright light other drivers. However I don't see any reason for them not to enforce this law either. Maybe if it becomes public knowledge that you can get a ticket for flashing your high beams and blinding passing other drivers those who do it will stop.

As far as my "condition" I'm perfectly legal to drive a truck. It is listed on my DOT physical which my company has a copy and so does the state of Indiana. It's not a disability, and while my sensitivity to high beams is probably more severe than most others. I still don't believe there is ever a reason to blind a passing driver.

"Maybe driving a rig isn't a good job for you?"
I'm starting to think your right. Too many a**holes out here. Too many distracted truck drivers. Too much B.S. to have to deal with. I think I'll start studying now for changing my career path. Maybe something in the law enforcement community specifically commercial motor vehicle enforcement division. I could write tickets to those idiot drivers then instead of coming here to talk about it. Hey someone has to do it.