User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Live in Ohio. Looking to get CDL training from company

Hello:

I am new to the board and am seriously considering getting into driving. I have been a nurse for 24 years (I'm 48) and am absolutely burned out. I get emotionally sick, depressed, etc., about my work (when I am working) and need a job where I can be by myself, worry only about what I am doing and also able to see new people daily. My concerns about trucking are more about company dispatchers making your life hell, making you sit and fighting against rather than working with you to get your weekly miles, and the companies trying to rip you off of your deserved pay and or flat out lieing to you on a constant basis.
I have read this board and others, but due to so many differing opinions, I am as confused as ever. I will probably try to get into a company sponsored "free" ..ahem...CDL program, and get into a program where the school trains drivers for companies that have a lot of runs through Ohio. I have no illusions that my first year+ in a sponsored program I will make much money. I accept that and the fact that that first year will be for experience and learning to deal with the "hard knocks" and how to deal with dispatchers, etc.. My goals that first year Will also be to learn to drive and try to learn how to cope with the lifestyle.
Anyone have suggestions for sponsored training programs that you were happy with..i.e..Swift, USA/Pam, Werner, others? My goal (like the majority of drivers) is to eventually get a dedicated local or regional job..........some day.
Any constructive suggestions are appreciated.

Don