LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelman View Post
Teamster Union Update:

Have been talking to several KAG drivers and found out some more information. The company ARCO drivers are also Teamsters so ARCO dropped the carrier that went Teamsters in the event the Teamsters ever go on strike they will still have carriers to deliver thier fuel. Kag has parked 25 trucks from the L.A., INLAND EMPIRE area from the loss of this contract. That's 75 drivers out of work!!! The remaining drivers are still working but if you were pro union you are getting short shifts to starve you out.

Two solutions have been floating around,
1: wait 1 year and vote the Teamsters out.

2:Kag has bought several local smaller companies over the last couple of years and are still operating under thier old name, just close the doors and reopen under a different name and boot all the pro union drivers.

Interesting to know that one KAG driver collected all the names of the pro union drivers and sent this list to all the local carriers informing them not to hire these drivers.

SPECIALKAY,,,,,,
1: 75 HOURS X $22/HR=$1650/WK
2: 36 HOURS X $25/HR=$900/WK

Don't know about you but I prefer making the $1650/wk rather than being able to say "I'M A TEAMSTER"

Peace Out,
Fuelman
I am a little confused, my understanding is that Arco is the West Coast version of BP-AM/PM. I know for fact that Corporate BP has sold most of, or all of their corporate convienence stores nationwide and if they had not sold by June of 2010 they planned on a management company coming on board to run the stores until all were sold. The drivers who were employed by Corporate BP (East Coast) Arco (West Coast) took an early buy out before the actual sale of the stores. So I cant see any of them wanting to join the union knowing that their jobs would be elimenated once the stores sold?? Maybe you are talking about other carriers who are delivering product to the Arco AM/PM Stores but I don't think they are corporate Arco drivers, ( maybe I didnt understand your post?)
I am with Snowman here on the hours of work, this last week I only worked a three day week about 35 hours (by choice) and I will gross $850 the rest of the week I spent with my father on a short road trip one that will live in my memory banks for the rest of my life, much more enjoyable then 75 hour work week and a $1600 paycheck. I work to live not live to work... Life is to short.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy the big checks as well but there is no way I would want to work a 70+ hour week every week for that kind of check you have no life. We work 4 on and 2 off so our weekly hours vary but for the most part we work 10 to 12 hour days, and my gross checks have been as low as $750 to as high as $1724. Quality of life is much nicer then a big check..
Just my opinion what works for me may not work for others.

Timberwolf
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

36X25 work better for me.....
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Just MHO but I had much rather work for what I am WILLING to accept and the company is WILLING to pay, than working for a company that despises what that they HAVE to pay me because of an outside entity, that really has no dog in the fight, except to collect dews from the members to pay their own payroll.

I'm somewhat of a businessman. I except a certain ROI ( Return On Investment ). The more risk, the more ( we hope ) rewards. The above company, private or public, has to get a certain ROI. either for their self or the share holders, or they will take their ball (money) and go elsewhere. I have my money spread out in several different things. When one doesn't give me the ROI I expect for the risk involved, then I take my ball (money) and go elsewhere. You either perform or you die. It's kinda like life.... You work or you starve. ( No Government there to save me from my mistakes). In my eyes...again, this is just MOH, any company that is union and staying alive is just RIPE for another company to come in and compete.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Snowman,
The B.S. you smell is the pant load you are sitting in!! California regs allow intra-state tanker drivers to log 80 hours every 8 days so it's not too hard to legally log 75 hours in 7 days.
Check your facts before calling B.S.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 PM

Kentla93,
Can't say what is going on with Arco nation-wide. All I know is that in the L.A. area there are still Arco company drivers that are teamsters. They probably only deliver 10-20% of all deliveries. The rest are all delivered by carriers. One large carrier voted in the teamsters so that is where the problem is. Arco gave the carrier the boot in the event the Teamsters go on strike Arco will still have enough carriers to take care of deliveries.

Peace Out,
Fuelman
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM

I understand everyones comments on the quality of life issues with working 75-80 hours a week. Delivering fuel is not for everyone. Many drivers come and go for this reason. There are not many driving jobs out there with the possibility of making 70-80k a year. My kid is grown up and my wife is a professional who is gone 60 plus hours a week. At 49 I'm just trying to maximize my earning potential and the reality is that if you force an employer to pay overtime, you can expect the overtime to be limited, Economics 101.

Peace Out,
Fuelman
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Snowman,
The B.S. you smell is the pant load you are sitting in!! California regs allow intra-state tanker drivers to log 80 hours every 8 days so it's not too hard to legally log 75 hours in 7 days.
I stand corrected. 75 hours a week has to take a toll on you. Doesnt make any sense to me why you would want to, or why it would be legal. But I guess if you got sleepy its not like you're hauling anything dangerous.:whistle:Of course from what I hear about California you probably have to do that to make a living. The only reason they dont pay overtime is because you guys let them get away with it. If you ALL took a stand they would have no choice. 70-80k is good money for sure but you're basically working the equivalent of two jobs to get it. Where I work guys make that doing 55 hours. The guys who work 65-70 make 100k. I work on average 45 hours and I'll make 65k. And no the company doesnt hire more drivers to avoid overtime. Its cheaper to pay overtime than to pay for the benefits, workers comp ins, and payroll taxes of another employee. they will actually layoff and still pay the overtime to those remaining. The guys you work with who voted in the union probably have families, children at home, and a regular life and dont want to be worked like dogs just to get by. There will be a struggle at first and opposition from your employer and even coworkers like yourself but they are trying to make life better for themselves and for you. It can work but not if your are divided. Nothing worth getting comes easy. I'm sure I wont change your mind but just give it some thought. what if your union coworkers got it right and the system actually worked?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Snowman,
*sigh*

I was gonna stay out of this...........But dude........You aren't seriously gonna tell these folks that you are working for BP/ARCO and working 75 hour weeks as a driver are you? If so....When did BP make the change? Especially with the fact that most of the guys I know...who still have jobs at ARCO (which I admit are not very many anymore)..........are only working 40 to 45 hours a week...for BP/ARCO. As an ARCO driver................especially a "Legacy" driver..................you know that the company policy for a driver's work week "is" (or was) 60 hours maximum, even in California, the same as I do (7 years out the door)..........Right?? Been there...................did that..............Have the check stubs to prove it.

Is Ben Martinez still at Southgate?? Or did he take the BP walk too?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
*sigh*

I was gonna stay out of this...........But dude........You aren't seriously gonna tell these folks that you are working for BP/ARCO and working 75 hour weeks as a driver are you? If so....When did BP make the change? Especially with the fact that most of the guys I know...who still have jobs at ARCO (which I admit are not very many anymore)..........are only working 40 to 45 hours a week...for BP/ARCO. As an ARCO driver................especially a "Legacy" driver..................you know that the company policy for a driver's work week "is" (or was) 60 hours maximum, even in California, the same as I do (7 years out the door)..........Right?? Been there...................did that..............Have the check stubs to prove it.

Is Ben Martinez still at Southgate?? Or did he take the BP walk too?
I guess we'll never know Stan...nothing but crickets here...............
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member