User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The truck you drive?

Been reading alot about different companies and the equipment they use. How important is the truck you drive to being a happy,comfortable,employee? Given all things equal, loads,route,pay,home time,good working relationship with the company, how important is the truck you drive, Amenities,power,reliability,looks,etc.....is it worth looking into companies that have older decked out trucks as apposed to newer bare bones trucks? and lastly am I over thinking this?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Board Icon

YES!!! :lol:

Seriously, you'll never FIND "all things equal." IF they were, we'd ALL like the perfect truck. I'm just saying the other things may be more important.... especially if just starting out.

Remember... not ALL OTR jobs require you to "live" in the truck forever. I've been in some nice XL Classics that were "worn out." I currently drive a decent Volvo condo.... but, I prefered my Columbia (both about 3 years old.)

That being said, I b!tch almost daily about not having a STRONGER truck! It all depends on what you are looking for. I'm looking to be IN FRONT of the "pack of trucks" easing down the road in their elephant train!

I also want my coffee mug holder to fit my reach AND my type of coffee mug! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I pulled mostly reefer, and noticed I cared more about the quality of my trailer than I did my truck.
I loved a new/newish Great Dane with a whisper quiet ThermoKing, with air slide. If I had that, I was a happy driver.

But then I'd glare at every forklift operator like a jealous lover.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Having a nice truck does help, but it's not the end of the world. After all, I made a chunk of money with crappy, beat-up Century's. My current ride (a decently kept 387) is tolerable, but I'd LOVE to be able to run 65 or more again, and to have more pulling power (mostly the pulling power). That being said, I'll stick with it, because there's more to it than just the truck... But that doesn't mean I'd turn down a chromed out, chicken-lit, T800H with a powerful engine and a Rockwell transmission either.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Driving a GOOD MAINTAIN TRUCK... means the most to me.. I dont care if one company pays more than the other, if that better paying job has beat up crappy trucks then i refuse to drive em.. I just take pride in what i drive and i would like to drive for a company that take pride in there trucks.. So far i've only had one of them out of the three companies i've drove for in 2 years of driving, and they got everything fix that broke on the truck right away..
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWarden View Post
Been reading alot about different companies and the equipment they use. How important is the truck you drive to being a happy,comfortable,employee? Given all things equal, loads,route,pay,home time,good working relationship with the company, how important is the truck you drive, Amenities,power,reliability,looks,etc.....is it worth looking into companies that have older decked out trucks as apposed to newer bare bones trucks? and lastly am I over thinking this?
Had brand new freightliner and also a brand new prostar which I currently drive. But when I 1st started with this company I had a litttle volvo, everybody called it a fancy daycab lol. But I enjoyed that little truck in tight spots and plus it was ungoverned. I guess If I had to pick I would prefer a well maintained truck with just the basics that could at least do 73-75.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Board Icon

I'd like a truck with compartments to put my stuff in as I have zero right now, a real seat(my current is like a jump seat and it wears my back out if I'm in it all day long driving as it has little support,) a tiny bit more power(I put 24K behind me and it's like I have 50K back there.) I would also like a quieter cab, I have to turn the radio all the way up to hear even slightly hear it over the road noise and engine. Maintenance isn't very high on my list, any work that needs to be done I help with it so if it breaks it's on my shoulders if it was something I overlooked while servicing it.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Two years ago I was issued a 08 Pete with a funky JM trailer. I used it for 2 loads and told my boss I wanted to move back into my old 02 with the cortrell. They are about ready to take away my 02 again because it's acting up.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Board Icon

Put me in a long nose Pete, that can run 70 uphill and downhill, and I'm grinnin like a possum eatin umm... you know what.
I believe it all depends on your tastes. What you like, and how you like it. Unfortunately, company drivers can't just find a truck at the dealer, and tell the company which truck they want.

As far as looking into a company due to their equipment? Use your common sense and good judgment. I wouldn't want to drive for someone that had junk. You can't judge a book by it's cover, but I've seen some trucks that make me wonder how they keep rolling. There are some companies that have real nice equipment, and there's others that have the 'plain jane' equipment. For the most part, most of the larger companies do have decent equipment, but may not have all the 'bells and whistles'. That's understandable. They are looking for a truck that picks up and delivers, not going to a truck show.

As far as horse power? Seems like company trucks don't have enough. Why?? I have no idea. It always seems like you are struggling to climb a hill, grossing less than 80,000 and every owner operator is blowing your doors off. Most companies like to invest in trucks that save fuel, and get from point A to point B. They don't put much into the motor, nor accessories.

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 08-18-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Board Icon

Hey, Wabbit! All that talk about hoods/noses and horsepower makes me wanta see that avatar with your TRUCK in it! I'm about tired of this "shadowy" pic of a COMBINE! :rofl:

Come on... whaddaya say? ..... Can I see the TRUCK again??? :bow::bow:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.