User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Windy's comment is interesting. I don't know if all states are that way. I'm pretty sure SOME will expunge a DUI.
My wife got a DUI 4 years ago. I spent some time looking into getting it expunged from her record so that she could get behind the wheel again. I looked for the article this morning and didn't find it, but back when I was researching it, I found it. There is a law in the State of Florida that states a DUI/DWI is one of the offenses that can not be expunged. Recently, I also had a chance to ask an attorney about it, when he brought his riding lawn mower over for repair. By law, in this state, you can not expunge a DUI. It will stay on your record.

Something else I found out that I thought was interesting. The insurance companies have a "preferred list" (sarcastic, I'm sure). If you've ever had your driver's license suspended or revoked, for any reason, your name is on the list. And, it sounds like that list affects your premium rates. I don't know where it's kept on file, or just how it works, but I found out about it when I was told that my name is not on it. Never even imagined such a thing existed until I was told that.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It's amazing how PC this message board has become.
We use to fillet and skin felons here.

.... just sayin'
I think it has to do with the fact of Time 15 years ago and the guy sounds genuien about his past mistakes and not repeating them.

I for one have never had the personal exposoure to loosing someone to a drunk, but I do not tollerate it one bit, I honestly think the DUI laws are a joke and need improvments.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

DUI laws should be changed. There should not be any difference in a DUI and any other offense. My main problem with the DUI laws is the one that involves implied consent. I see no need for a DUI to follow someone more than any other infraction of the law. I understand that there is considerable liability for a carrier to hire someone with that in their background. It is more about litigation should the driver be involved in an accident. Insurance companies and carriers are afraid of the possible repercussions in court. Lawyers will look for anything to shake money from the insurance company or carrier. Think of Al Capone with a law degree. I think that when someone puts forth the effort to change their life that we should do anything we can to support their efforts. Once someone has served their time or paid their fine we need to forget about the past and help these people get on with their lives.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
DUI laws should be changed. There should not be any difference in a DUI and any other offense. My main problem with the DUI laws is the one that involves implied consent. I see no need for a DUI to follow someone more than any other infraction of the law. I understand that there is considerable liability for a carrier to hire someone with that in their background. It is more about litigation should the driver be involved in an accident. Insurance companies and carriers are afraid of the possible repercussions in court. Lawyers will look for anything to shake money from the insurance company or carrier. Think of Al Capone with a law degree. I think that when someone puts forth the effort to change their life that we should do anything we can to support their efforts. Once someone has served their time or paid their fine we need to forget about the past and help these people get on with their lives.
you CANT be serious!! you mean you think going 10 mph over the speed limit is just as bad as dwi??
Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
you CANT be serious!! you mean you think going 10 mph over the speed limit is just as bad as dwi??

You are reading something into what I wrote that I never said, Fredog. I think that people make mistakes. I believe that when people are trying to change their lives that we as a society should help them make those changes rather than kicking them in the teeth. DWI and speeding are both breaking the law. Both can result in bodily injury and death. I never stated that driving while drinking was right. All I am saying is that at some point we need to allow these people to continue with their lives. When we continue to penalize people for past crimes we encourage their bad behavior since we won't give them credit for their good behavior. I don't think that a DWI or DUI should follow someone for the rest of their lives any more than a speeding ticket should follow someone the rest of their life.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One other thing, Fredog. Without all the money these lawyers receive to defend someone charged with a DWI or DUI, you would not have seen the laws changed. What other crime can you be accused of where you are guilty for simply NOT giving evidence against yourself? The government makes millions of dollars off of these bogus laws. Lawyers make millions of dollars from the laws that they pass concerning implied consent. It is a great racket if you are a lawyer, even though it is unconstitutional. With current DUI laws, you are either guilty or you are guilty.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Senior Board Member

In Massachusetts if you have a C.D.L. nothing ever gets taken off your driving record :smokin:
Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
One other thing, Fredog. Without all the money these lawyers receive to defend someone charged with a DWI or DUI, you would not have seen the laws changed. What other crime can you be accused of where you are guilty for simply NOT giving evidence against yourself? The government makes millions of dollars off of these bogus laws. Lawyers make millions of dollars from the laws that they pass concerning implied consent. It is a great racket if you are a lawyer, even though it is unconstitutional. With current DUI laws, you are either guilty or you are guilty.
There should not be any difference in a DUI and any other offense

this is the statement that confused me. personally, I think MAYBE one dui can be forgiven IF the person gets help and learns a lesson, but multiple dui offenders should be locked up for life.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
There should not be any difference in a DUI and any other offense

this is the statement that confused me. personally, I think MAYBE one dui can be forgiven IF the person gets help and learns a lesson, but multiple dui offenders should be locked up for life.

I am primarily talking about the length of time that a DUI conviction is on your record. I might feel the same as you if current DUI laws were treated the same as any other criminal offense. I have NO sympathy for someone who drives a commercial vehicle and is convicted of DUI. I don't drink, but with current laws, someone can be convicted for none compliance with implied consent laws. These convictions are treated the same as if you were driving under the influence. For instance, if I refuse to provide a breath sample I could be convicted of DUI, whether I am drinking or not and whether I am driving or not. You don't even need to be driving to be convicted. That is the reason I feel the way I do about DUI convictions under current laws. That is the reason why I don't place as much credence in a DUI conviction as some may. These laws make about as much sense as the gun laws in New York. You can be convicted of having a loaded gun in your vehicle even if it is unloaded if the ammunition is in close proximity to the gun. That is considered a felony in New York.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

the law says your license is automatically suspended if you refuse a test, but you can NOT be convicted of the dui in this case.
that's why when a drunk is involved in a wreck, often he will run, and then when he sobers up, he will turn himself in, then they cant convict him of dui
because he will pass the test