User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Team driving question

For those of you who drive teams, but aren't married to the other driver, do you like driving teams? What do you like about it? And what have you experienced as drawbacks to it?

The only "team" experience I've had is while I was with my trainer and I found it was hell trying to sleep with someone else driving, that bunk rocking and rolling along the way. : (
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove team Monday and Tuesday with another o/o to hlp him get a run done and I hated it. We both didn't sleep well and got on each other's nerves in 20 hrs.

Not a fan of it
Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Board Icon

I've been driving team since I started my career nearly 5 years ago. First, let me say that I LOVE going solo now and then, but not sure I want to do it full time.

NOT being married to the co-driver may be the BEST thing. My brother and his wife team, and they aren't always happy about it. I've had some co-drivers that I didn't like, but could always get rid of them and get a new one. Try doing that with your WIFE! :lol:

My current co-driver is 23 yrs younger than me.... about the age of my estranged daughter. He has a DAD my age. We cut up and kid each other constantly! "old man.... young pup.... how can you stand that music.... gettin' some/gettin' none...." That kind of stuff! He's really easy to get along with and, contrary to what many believe, SO AM I! :thumbsup: THAT makes all the difference in the world... and makes the day go by quicker!

Things I LIKE about it:

1) As noted above... I have a friend. One who shares most of my "job related" concerns. One who brings skills (or youth) to many of our tasks and works with me as a TEAM to confront every "on the road" problem or concern that comes up. (and LAUGHS to boot!)

2) I can go West coast and back in a week, be grilling in my backyard on EVERY weekend, and get constant miles. (The west coast ain't getting any CLOSER to NC anytime soon!) Now... SOME team jobs keep you out for weeks. I don't think I'd really like THAT.

But, MANY more are like "dedicated runs" (actually dedicated ACCOUNTS) and are mostly longhaul, freeway miles with one or two deliveries/pick ups.

[look into REEFER companies bringing produce back to the east coast, or YOUR area, from Cali and AZ.]

3) I get an equal HALF of the CPM paid to the truck, regardless of how many miles I "actually" drive (and EVEN when I'm sleeping.) Some weeks I might drive more than my buddy.... some less. I once cheated logs and drove for me AND my buddy (all but one shift he did of 9 hours,) when he got sick on the west coast... and we wanted to get home! He made it up to me over the next few weeks.

4) Waking up in a different locale EVERY day of your life on the road! The weather changes, the scenery changes. And you're making PROGRESS towards your delivery (and/or HOME) at an amazing rate!

[A SOLO driver wakes up in the same spot he shut down in. And often has to make it an onramp due to needing to maximize his miles for the day.]

5) Visiting favorite T/S's or favorite areas of the country, that "normally" would be out of reach, on a weekly basis (and often at your OWN discretion.)

... I should ADD here that team driving gives one the option of even SEEING the rest of the country while getting home regularly/weekly... as opposed to either having to stay within a REGION, OR staying out until you get bored with yourself!

6) Many won't understand or agree... but, having a bad back, I like the vibration of the moving bunk under me. It actually "adjusts" and moderates my spine and helps me get to sleep (think "magic fingers beds.)

I've also always loved the sound of rushing wind as I sleep..... so I open my side vents a bit. This also helps drown out the sounds of the radio or phone calls my co-driver engages in. Alot of THIS just comes down to your sleep habits. Can you sleep on an airplane or a bus? T.V on or off?

This also brings up the question of the objection of so many "solo's" that they have to sleep next to noisy reefers, idling trucks, exhaust fumes, urine smelling lots baking in the sun.... I have NONE of this! :clap:

7) Going back to reason #1.... someone to talk to. Someone to have dinner with (or see a monument with.) A "friend" while on the road. If you're married and are away from your spouse (whom I KNOW you love spending every minute with,) it would be someone to share these moments with, and not feel like you are ALONE out there... away from your wife.... and your LIFE! It takes your mind off HOME and how homesick you might be.

Okay... enough of that. Let's see if I can come up with anything to fit...

Things I DON'T like about it:

1) FARTS! Not his... MINE! I don't feel comfortable "ripping one" unless he is in the sleeper with the curtain closed, I have the windows down, and I'm sitting on my "fart pillow!" On those RARE occaisions when we BOTH have to sleep in the dual bunks of the condo sleeper, I feel the need to "restrain" myself. [This is somewhat akin to blueballs.] :lol2:

2) CONTROL issues. Face it... we are almost ALL "control freaks" in some way or we wouldn't BE truckers! There were times when I was the "lead driver," and there have been times when I WASN'T! IF you are responsible for making the decisions... for you AND another driver.... you need to have what it takes to BE IN CHARGE without being a domineering A*Hole! :hellno:

And if you are NOT the "lead".... you need to be paired with someone who you trust enough to do the job right! I have been lucky in this regard in MOST cases in my career. From the time I was in training, to even NOW when I consider my younger friend to be the "lead" because he was on the truck before me. If you TRUST the other driver, and you are PARTNERS in this venture, it can be a "breeze" to just DRIVE and not have ALL the responsibilities of a "supervisor or trainer."

[Okay.... how did that end up being a POSITIVE???] :lol:

3) SPACE! You got TWO people sharing the space designed (really) for ONE! I really can't speak to how teams that stay out for weeks do it. I never HAVE. But, if you're only out for 4-6 days.... it just becomes a "coordinated dance" like synchronized swimming!

You move your personal belongings, logbook, snacks, etc. around in a circle that rotates one driver to the cab, and the other to the bunk area. And you ONLY bring what you need for those few days during which you either DRIVE or are "off duty."

MOST team trucks will have a "shared" T.V. and maybe a fridge. You each find cubbyholes that you claim for your own "stuff." It's not so much different than being "roommates" in an apartment.

4) TRUST issues. This seems to be one of the biggest "fears" I hear on CAD from those who have never DONE it, or didn't do it for long (like training.) ... "I can't sleep behind a driver I don't TRUST to not KILL me!"

I don't know.... maybe it's just ME! I've never really had this problem to any great extent. I used to fly missions every day in the A.F. where my LIFE was 38,000 ft up in the air... and at the mercy of a pilot that I TRUSTED. LONG before that, as a KID, my father drove us cross-country twice a year, and he held my LIFE in his hands. I slept like the baby I WAS!

You can DIE at ANY minute on the road whether in a truck or in a car, and whether you're driving or just a passenger. LIFE is built on TRUST! Now... I agree with Reagan that we should "TRUST but VERIFY." Even my trainers stayed awake and in the other seat or with the curtains OPEN until they "verified" that I had learned what I was taught in truck driving school... and that I could HANDLE the rig I was in control of.

After that? They closed the curtain and went to sleep! I was actually "signed off on" within 3 weeks out of a possible 8... got my FULL pay after that... and became 2nd seat until I became a LEAD about 6 months later. Yes, this was a REAL company that used the "team trainer" method that so many here despise! They NEVER suffered an accident from a trainee (in fact, the 3 I'm aware of were from the older, more experienced drivers.)

Now... there was ONE co-driver I had... I was actually "recruited" to take him out and SEE if he could drive, or had other problems. It didn't take me long, no matter HOW much I tried to help him, to realize that he was a danger to MY life.... and all those around us! I submitted a fair and balanced report.... and had him fired!

I'm BRAVE, but I'm not STUPID! And I think that sums up the requirements for a TEAM driver. For someone with a family? You might not have the leisure to be as "brave" as me. I understand that and would never judge your decisions. But, if you make GOOD decisions, you can be as SAFE as any SOLO driver. .... And probably get MORE hometime AND money! :thumbsup:

[Damn! I turned another one into a positive!] :thumbsdown::lol:

5) That's pretty much IT! I'm out of "negatives!" If someone has a question about a SPECIFIC aspect of teaming, I'd be glad to opine. Wait.... one more. I like being able to stop and take a nap anytime I LIKE (when I'm solo) without the pressure I THINK the guy in the bunk is putting on me.

Summary:

I LIKE teaming! I drove solo for several months WHILE working for my first (TEAM) company (A perk that comes with standing and RELIABILITY,) and enjoyed it very much! BUT.... I was TRUSTED by my company to get the job done, and usually only spoke with them 2 or 3 times a WEEK! It was a small company with a "niche" market that made our runs somewhat "dedicated."

I drove solo for a few months for an "outlaw" type company, where the boss tried to "micromanage" my entire trip! THAT got old quickly! We butted heads constantly... and he was always LOOKING For freight! I kinda liked being alone... but, he never LEFT me alone (as team companies usually do!)

SOLO drivers are usually considered "movable assets," and OFTEN those "moves" don't PAY you for your miles. [and the life can be lonely.]

TEAM drivers are USUALLY "required" only for contracts that are specific and can't be accomplished under the HOS by ONE "solo" driver. So, the miles are usually GOOD and constant.

Again... I don't think I'd like being TEAM on some kind of "48 state" WILDBOARD situation. I don't want to be out for weeks at a time with two people in a cab. But.... that is only the MEGA carriers! Nearly EVERY other company who runs teams have dedicated LANES and trips.... and get you home weekly.

I've always SAID.... (look at my sigline) .... that trucking is not for Wusses!

TEAMING... is for the brave and the confident. And perhaps, for those who might can consider it a JOB and not just a "lifestyle." :lol:

Signed: HOBO... who is sitting at HOME this and EVERY weekend, alive and making more money for LESS work and TIME than most drivers in the business.

:smokin:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Very good post Hobo.

I've been a solo my entire career, but also been a "team member" per se running household goods with my dad in the summers since I was a lil lumper

I talked to a budd of mine that left United and runs team for a competitor and said after 2 weeks ya get used to it.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Hobo and his co-driver.
Notice Hobo isn't wearing his seat belt again.

I prefer being a solo driver, but the times I've teamed were a blast and a lot more fun.
I can easily sleep in the bunk, while rolling. It's like rocking the cradle.