User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Verifiable experience?

What do trucking companies concider verifiable experience? I've been driving our 48' flat bed hauling logs for the past 5 yrs, local trips approx 300-400 mile round trips. Ive never had to keep a log or any documentation except my safety inspections etc... What I'm wondering is what I will need to get credit for my 5 yrs experience...Thanks...Lee
Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Give them a current MVR, and your past employers contact info. You can list your job duties, and what you are experienced doing.

Companies are required by Federal law to verify a drivers past driving history, and experience.
The investigation may consist of personal interviews, telephone interviews, letters, or any other method for investigating that the carrier deems appropriate.

If you don't have daily logs, they can speak directly with your past employer to satisfy good faith effort to comply with the law.
Drug test records, accident reports, traffic violations are also part of verifying your performance history.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks Roadhog!
Let me enlighten you to my situation!
Me-49 yr old full time professional Firefighter/Paramedic currently slated for retirement in Oct 2010. I've been driving for our family business for 5 yrs now, 2000 International 9400xi,pulling our 48' flat bed hauling logs and some palleted freight. I have a spotless driving record both personal and comercial. Ive never did drugs and have a spotless heath card. I'm happy to hear it might be as simple as a phone call to my employer, we do all our own repairs and maintenance within reason. I guess my next step might be to talk to a recruiter huh?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Board Icon

FF/EMT myself. (age 16 to 56) I was mostly Volunteer.
Regional SAR, and also did Wildland fires out in CA/AZ. Worked Michigans largest Wildland fire a few years back, and that's when it dawned on me, I'm too old for this sheit!

Last edited by Roadhog; 06-07-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Board Icon

L, I have been driving all local for my family for the last 6 years, when things got tough with the economy I started looking around. None of the OTR companies I contacted would take my experience since it was local. I pull a tilt deck flatbed that is 38 feet long moving all kinds of freight for construction. TMC and Maverick would not count it. I tried just general van companies and reefer's, Marten would not count it nor would Heartland. They all wanted verifiable OTR experience, not verifiable local.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is challenging to prove experience when you work for a family business, especially when you never had to keep a log book.

As Roadhog mentioned, motor carriers are required to verify the last 3 years employment. They are required to have a 10 year work history, whether in the trucking industry or not. It is up to the carrier how far back they want to go beyond the 3 year requirement. The first thing a carrier will do is check personal and work references. Most will use a fax to communicate with former employers. There are some who will discuss your experience with a telephone call. It protects everyone if the reference provides written documentation on your experience.

Since you have been working for a family business you may need to provide other documentation to prove your experience. I would suggest getting references from those with whom you have done business for the last 3 years. Customers and suppliers are good references. Since your experience is local you may find it more difficult to find a good fit, but I am sure that you can find a carrier who will give you an opportunity.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Rookie

Thanks GMan,
I would think that they'd be more interested in your driving record than anything else? And as far as contacting some of the people I do business with??? I pull up to where their landing the logs ,we load em up and strap em down and off we go. Now paper work is a whole nother story! Being a Paramedic for 22 yrs I know how to do paper work in triplicate and be very meticulous about dotting every I and crossing every T. Guess its best I contact a recruiter and see what they say huh?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Board Icon

.... abcdEMT. :lol:

Wall paper your whole area with resumes, and not just the national companies.

I started with a local Fruit Processing Plant that had only three rigs. I had no experience, but after a month of running the old truck regional, they saw I had skills. Then they bumped me up to the Volvo 770 that had only 120k miles on it, with a new Great Dane reefer, and sent me 48 States and Canada, hauling their frozen fruit. I made an average of $1200/week as a rookie.

They had hired me and another driver at the same time. He was experienced, and got the Volvo. Within 2 weeks, he parked the rig in a no parking zone next to a Strip joint, and the cops towed the rig off.

Experience doesn't always mean you are a top hand.
Also, I made more pay as a rookie than most guys make in a national company.

You are use to small outfits, and work camaraderie. If I were you, I'd focus in finding a job that will continue that kind of work environment, unless you think you can adapt to how these big outfits will treat you.

If you want to do OTR, you are going to have a lot of adjustments to make.
That first year is going to bring out all your demons.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Verifiable Experience

LWarden,
Before talking with a company recruiter, ensure the recruiter actially works for the company. Also find out the Safety Director's name of a company you want to go with and explain/provide him documentation of your experience. He's gonna have to convice an insurer won't get their panties in a wad. Build an advocate within the company, the recruiter doesn't make the hiring decision anyway. BOL