User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Tanker-yanking vs....

It appears inevitable that I am going to have to go back to trucking since the computer world has yet again let me down. Been seeking a decent computer job for 26 months now, almost ever since arriving in Kentucky. No luck. Been unemployed since August '09. : (

Previously, I ran reefers -- C. R. England, then K&B. However... seems to me that my wasted hours could be considerably lessened if I ran tankers. No sitting at a Wal-Mart for 2-6hrs waiting to unload or 30+ hrs at a meat packing plant waiting to get loaded.

Is tanker-yanking a better life than van or reefer? I know I wouldn't even think of running a skateboard. I'm not one for being out in rain and high winds trying to tarp a load and rain had a habit of following me most places I went while driving.

And, is it me, or are trucking companies offering a GREATLY smaller average miles/week now? I mean... 1900-2400?? Sheesh! That totally BITES. I really need a company that will give me a lot closer to 3k/wk.... at least a 2800 mi avg. I've got a new fiancee and she wants kids, so income is a top priority. (We can work the kid thing in on my infrequent home time... lol).

Oh, and would a company consider me a newbie if I wanted to pull tankers since I've never done that before, in spite of 2.5 yrs exp?

edit: DOH!! Forgot one detail.... I gave up my Texas class A CDL when I moved to Kentucky. It's been since Jan. 08 that I drove. Anyone foresee any problems there? I'll be moving back to Texas the middle of June, apparently. I wish it was a heck of a lot sooner.

Last edited by AsphaltVoyager; 05-23-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Unfortunately, you might have to back to school, unless you can find a small mom and pop to drive for.

If you have other options I would at least explore them, some drivers I talk to complain of wage cuts and low miles.

Read this
Old 05-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Talking thanks. : )

I don't know of any mom n pops operations around the Dallas area. If I end up having to go back for a "refresher", might as well go Pumpkin. That way, I can go to the tankers, if I decide to do that, with them. Nothing says I gotta stay with them for a lifetime.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow! You have 2.5 years experience? Is that in total?? Is it consecutive??

Where at in Texas you gonna land?? Austin maybe??? If so.........

try......... Dell.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post

Wow! You have 2.5 years experience? Is that in total?? Is it consecutive??

Where at in Texas you gonna land?? Austin maybe??? If so.........

try......... Dell.
Unfortunately, Michael doesn't need my assistance. He puts PCs together. Good quality PCs, mind you. But, not my area of expertise. I can build you one from parts and a bare case, but what my work experience is in is the huge computers. As for where I'll be going.... home, back to Dallas. I'll probably live in the Garland or Richardson area.... north and northeast side of town.

Yes, 2.5 years OTR, total, and consecutive. All reefer. *ugh*