User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Needing Help/Assistance/Advise

Have just been informed that my position in a Finance Dept. of a small city government will in all likelihood be eliminated within the next 45-90 days, due to budget cuts. I'm 52yrs old, wll turn 53 here in May, and for at least the last 20 years I have wanted to become a semi driver and haul freight. Don't ask me why, other than the fact I love to drive, love to travel, and love being on my own and working. Also I am a family man and want to continue the level of annual income and benefits that I have provided my family these last several years.

I am seeking advise as to where to start in this new venture, how to go about talking to and dealing with trucking companies, what kinds of things I need to ask, what not to ask, and what I can expect between the time I start school the time I finally get my own truck to run. I'm guessing that being a newbie I'll be better off trying to get my CDL on my own, look for tuition reimbursment, and not limit my opportunities to just one company by having them train me and then own me for a period of time.

My home is just north of Columbus, OH, and not far from several terminals in the Central Ohio area. For me, income, benefits, and hometime are pretty much all of equal importance to me. I have looked at several company websites, but I know enough from the message board here that they tend to not tell you the whole truth.

I would greatly appreciate any and all information I can get from you experienced drivers. I want to be able to make a well-thought out decision as to where to go and who to go with before the situation here is no longer. For those of you who do respond, I thank you VERY much and depending on the outcome of my situation, maybe someday down the road I'll be able to buy you a meal or a drink.

Thank you all again for at least taking the time to read this post.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsclinger9869 View Post
. . Also I am a family man and want to continue the level of annual income and benefits that I have provided my family these last several years . .
You do understand that family man and trucking are incongruous, correct? Also, where would you need to be, roughly, with wages and benefits? How quickly will you need to get there?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to become a truck driver I would suggest you check around your area for community colleges or state vocational schools to see if they offer a driving program. You could be eligible for retraining through the state since you will be losing your position.

First year drivers are not the best paid. I would expect you to earn around $30,000 or so the first year. You could earn as much as $35,000 with the right company. You should see an increase beginning the second year. Although business is picking up now, we don't know how long that will last. We usually see an uptick in this business in spring.

I would encourage you to call several carriers to see what they may have to offer. Most carriers will keep drivers out 2-3 weeks, especially starting out. Some could keep new drivers out longer. Most carriers will do their best to get you home when needed, however, it is no guarantee. If you need specific times to be home then you will need to either alter your thinking or count on missing some home events. I am not trying to discourage you but offer you some reality. This is not a 9-5 business. There will be times when your carrier simply cannot get you home at a certain time. You do live in a good freight lane. Ohio is usually a good freight area. It is often easier to get drivers home when they live in good freight lanes.

There could be some regional opportunities where you live. That could enable you to get home more frequently.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Rookie

CD and GMan, thanks for your responses. CD, as to your question as to income and benefits, in just a few weeks my wife's youngest will be graduating high school and wants to move out on her own, knowing very little as to what lilfe is REALLY all about, but hey she's a kid. So by mid-June it will just be the Mrs and I so benefits, insurance, vacation, etc. will be a little less of a burden to need as my wife also has her own position. Now that being said, I'd like to be able to make between 35-40K my first year with increases as years go by, also that isn't figuring in any bonuses I may qualify for.

GMan, I have thought about obtaining my own training through either Roadmaster in Columbus, OH or through Southern States Community College Truck Driver Academy in Obetz, OH. Both have good programs, but Southern States is about $1K less in costs and they both also have placement programs. I just don't know if it is better to spend my own money, digging into Savings, or to have it paid for by a company. I know I would be indebted to any company that paid for my CDL training, but I do have the opportunity to either work it off in total or to do a portion of it by working for them, thus lessoning my out of pocket costs.

There are a lot of larger companies with terminals either in Columbus, OH or close by. Schneider and Swift are located in Columbus, while both US Xpress and Werner are within about 50 miles, so I believe I would have opportunities for various runs. US Xpress even has a dedicated run out of the Kroger (Circle K) Distribution facility right in Delaware, OH where I live and they are always running adds for drivers there. Guess I am just concerned that once I get my training completed and 6 months or so under my belt, that they won't have any more openings.

This isn't something that I am looking at on a whim. I have been checking it out, talking to people, (not lately though) and wanting to do my entire life. I just enjoy driving, operating a large vehicle, and seeing the countryside.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that $35,000 or more your first year will be a stretch. Pay tends to be low for the first year. If you receive your training through a carrier your pay is also likely to be less. You need to plan on staying with the same carrier at least until your training is paid for, providing that is the direction you decide to go. Personally, I would not want to go through a carrier where I had to sign an employment contract. Most will charge your training back to you should you decide to leave or part company. In other words, if you quit or your employment is terminated for any reason during this time your training costs will likely be charged back to you. There are some who fulfill their contract, but it is something that you need to consider when looking at this type of program.

There are a few carriers who provide training without a long term agreement. I believe that CRST had a contract period less than a year. Most seem to be at least a year. From an employer point of view, it is much better to stay with a carrier for at least a year or two. There are way too many who will change carrier on a whim and so so several times in a year. It is becoming increasingly difficult for these people to find suitable employment.

If it were me and I could afford it I would opt to either find my own financing away from a carrier or pay for it myself. That way, I would not need to concern myself should things not work out with the first carrier. There are carriers who will reimburse you for your training over a specified period of time. To me that would be preferable than obligating myself to a carrier whom I knew little about.

By the way, most schools have carriers with whom they work to help place graduates.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
. . That way, I would not need to concern myself should things not work out with the first carrier. .
GMAN forgets. He's a hell of a guy and a fine source for information . . most of the time. The last time we beat this around (your concerns are fairly common) I pointed out the following: As far as who you pay the money to, it doesn't really matter considering the three most likely outcomes of your training:

1. You wash out, you don't like it, you and your wife decide to pursue a different course . . whatever. Most programs have a point of no return which, if you leave or get kicked out before you reach it, you're off the hook. If you get beyond the point of no return, you are on the hook but in a very good position to negotiate a quick settlement.

2. You complete the program to every one's satisfaction including the prospective employer. You will be offered a position with that company. When I trained and subsequently went to work for Swift, they "deducted" a tuition payment once a (month/week? been awhile) and at the same time reimbursed me by crediting the same amount right back to my check. My training was free.

3. You complete the program and spend some time on the road and determine the grass may be greener if you go somewhere else. GO! You're not indentured to drive for the company that trained you. Sure, you still owe money to them and they're going to demand payment in full and you're going to offer to make payments and they'll accept the offer because they have a lot of experience with getting nothing, instead. All you're doing is paying for services you contracted for and it's obvious it has value because it's keeping you working. Why ask for whom the bell tolls? It tolls for thee.

All the while, you paid nothing up front . . O P M!

GMAN's right on the money with the money. 35k, year one is ambitious but doable. Your first six weeks will be low scale training and you'll spend at least a few more weeks fumbling around as you learn the ropes. 2ND year is more likely. Maybe Kevin will chime in with his experience as his is the most recent with Swift and he runs pretty much in your area of interest. Beyond that, I guess the sky's the limit. It'll come down to how well suited you are to trucking (and vice versa) and what direction you want to take.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Rookie

Well it's now official....My current position will be ending here on 7-6-10. At least they gave them through the July 4th Holiday. Now then, I REALLY want to find a great training position with a good training company. Please, anyone who knows of a solid company so this total newbie can get safelyl on the road and SOON...then PLEASE add to this post....

I appreciate any and ALL information..
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Board Regular

What does your wife say? How many years behind a desk and do have any direct understanding about transportation?

Besides your confessed love of: driving, traveling, being on your own and working do you have any other large equipment operating abilities or skills.
I'm not sure what a small city govern Finance Dept job entails these days. One think I am sure of, newbie trucking is far.....FAR from your typical city worker positions with scheduled breaks, lunches, vacations and sick time etc.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I have noticed men tend to leap first then ask the real questions later.

Food for Thought. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Rookie

I have pulled trailers with oversized pickups before, driven a 32' Class A motorhome, though I know there are big differences I am not skiddish of driving and contolling vehicles that are bigger than the norm...cars SUVs etc.... I also started my working career working for the local electric utility and was there for about 6 years, working outside in all kinds of weather and conditions and being moble.

I appreciate and understand what you're saying I really do, and my wife was married to a former driver before and full understands the circumstances, and SUPPORTS me decision. I realize that it's not 9-5, I understand that breaks are not scheduled, life isn't scheduled, but get me on the road and I'm my own boss and can do the job to get it done...
Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Driving a truck can be a good career. I think that many people enter the business for the wrong reasons or with unrealistic expectations. The government keeps throwing more regulations on us which takes much of the pleasure away. Even with the current economy you can still earn a decent living since things have picked up, lately.