User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks G-man for your insight. I am old enought to realize that I'm not going to be making top dollar out of the shoot, without any experience. I do know that I am a very hard working man and will do what it takes to get the job done and also to take care of my family. That being said, I believe I'm down to just a couple of companies that I may go with for training, or I'll get my own training and CDL and then look for a better company to finish with and try to get tuition reimbursement from..
Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Default food 4 thought

As the guys said above, first year earnings are going to be a challenge to reach 35k. However, as GMAN points out, you do live in good freight lanes. The frustrating part about driving is the part where you AREN'T driving, but still eating the week's hours up (There's only 168 of them.). Hours spent sitting at a customer waiting to load and unload... hours spent sitting at a truck stop because there isn't a load ready in the area for you to haul.... hours spent sitting in the terminal to get a repair done.... safety meetings that eat up hours as well... and, since you're nearly my age, unscheduled visits to dentists and doctors along the way...

Your first year, you'll likely find that the days off the company is willing to give you aren't going to appeal to you as much as getting out there to run more miles and bring in more money. The amount you'll get paid isn't enough to cover all the things you want to have, so taking off any excess days (i.e., over 3 each 6-8 weeks) is NOT an option.

Oh... and the nights on the road? Those bunks are about as comfortable as sleeping on logs. So, you'll get worn out due to poor or uncomfortable sleep if you don't take measures to make the bunk more comfortable. My solution was to get an air mattress to put under the "bedding" they provide you with. Of course, if you team with someone, then sleeping while the rig is moving becomes another whole issue. I couldn't do it. Some folks can.

To keep the food expenses down, try to keep PBnJ and a loaf of bread handy, as well as some sort of utensil to spread the PB. I know it will get old, but truckstop chow is NOT cheap. Food will be your biggest expense item every month.

For some reason, trucking is REALLY hard on shoes and jeans. Get a good solid workboot. I got Wolverines and wore them for two years trucking, plus another 2.5 yrs since then and am very happy with them. As for jeans, Target carries Wranglers cheap and they're fairly durable. A word to the wise....

Last edited by AsphaltVoyager; 05-23-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Personally, if I were starting out today, I would prefer to pay for my own training and not have the obligation to a certain carrier. If you leave a carrier who trains you then you will still be on the hook for the cost of training. One thing that I don't understand is that the government is also paying these training carriers to train new drivers, yet they still charge the driver. Go figure!

If you do decide that going with a carrier who will help you obtain your CDL then I would make my mind up to at least spend the length of time to honor my contract. Some stay on with these carriers beyond their training period. I met a driver who started with Swift and is still there after a number of years. Sometimes, it is a matter of your attitude.

If you stay with this for at least 2 years you should see a dramatic change in your income. If you maintain a good work history and clean mvr, you can go pretty much anywhere you wish. Of course, the first step is getting your CDL and experience. A new driver has little value to a carrier. However, one who has a good work history, clean mvr and a few years experience is valuable. That value will escalate with the new rules coming down the pike. Those who move around every few months will find it much more difficult to find employment. There is much turnover in this industry. Those who find it within themselves to work through issues with dispatchers or other problems with a carrier are highly valued.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I recently met with a young couple he's new (7mo) and she was riding along. He went the company paid training and is now getting paid a whopping .26 CPM! Not only is he being shortchanged on the cpm but the company is capping weekly miles to aprox. 2000!! WOW he's grossing $500 a week. BUT WAIT it gets better. I met him in the lounge at a I-H dealer he had been there since Thursday night (it was Mon.) and I left out on Tues. evening and he was still there getting paid NOTHING while his cheap azz Co argued over the price of parts.
Moral of the story - IF AT ALL POSSIBLE PAY FOR YOUR TRAINING YOURSELF!!

Check out Crete/Shaffer they have a fair sized terminal there in Columbus and they've always treated me good. I don't know what the starting pay is but I do know it's MORE THAN .26 geez can you believe it?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I guess I'm outta touch. I started driving in 1997 and have never made less than $50k a year. My first job was averaging about 3200 miles a week, 28 cpm, $35 cash per day for per diem, $20 a stop (about 16 stops a week). I guess things have really changed. Why would anybody want to enslave themselves in this industry for $30k a year when you can wait tables at Denny's or IHOP and make more? Why not get some boring 40 hour a week desk job during the day and wait tables at night? You'll see your wife a heck of a lot more and make more money... seriously, I've done it.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I guess I'm outta touch. I started driving in 1997 and have never made less than $50k a year. My first job was averaging about 3200 miles a week, 28 cpm, $35 cash per day for per diem, $20 a stop (about 16 stops a week). I guess things have really changed. Why would anybody want to enslave themselves in this industry for $30k a year when you can wait tables at Denny's or IHOP and make more? Why not get some boring 40 hour a week desk job during the day and wait tables at night? You'll see your wife a heck of a lot more and make more money... seriously, I've done it.
maybe some guys don't what to see their wife more??
Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
maybe some guys don't what to see their wife more??
That was bad. Perhaps true for some... but still bad.