User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Reputable OTR Companie

All,

A question if I may. Am retired & bored. Wife says find something to do. Took & passed Community College CDL A course 18 months ago, hold doubles-triples, tanker, hazmat, school bus & passenger endorsements, TWIC card, passport & current DOT physical. Am used to international & national travel and shift work, 30 days on/5 off, etc

Have been driving on-call, as a substitute, school/activity buses concurrently for two school systems(they keep me busy) since 9/2008 and was with my last full time employer for 32 years. Also a veteran.

No tickets in six years, no arrests, no DUI/DWI & no at-fault accidents ever.

Any suggestions on reputable companies to which to apply for OTR?

Some of the recruiters with whom I have spoken are blatantly pie in the sky and pushing leasing. Pigs will fly before I lease a truck in an industry about which I know so little.

If this new career gig does not work out, I will go do something else, but would like to try OTR at least until the itch is out of my system. I have itchy feet and like to travel.

Any suggestions, advice, etc would be welcome & most appreciated.

My sincere thanks,

Guampaul
The Outer Banks of North Carolina
Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guampaul View Post
All,

A question if I may. Am retired & bored. Wife says find something to do. Took & passed Community College CDL A course 18 months ago, hold doubles-triples, tanker, hazmat, school bus & passenger endorsements, TWIC card, passport & current DOT physical. Am used to international & national travel and shift work, 30 days on/5 off, etc

Have been driving on-call, as a substitute, school/activity buses concurrently for two school systems(they keep me busy) since 9/2008 and was with my last full time employer for 32 years. Also a veteran.

Some of the recruiters with whom I have spoken are blatantly pie in the sky and pushing leasing. Pigs will fly before I lease a truck in an industry about which I know so little.

If this new career gig does not work out, I will go do something else, but would like to try OTR at least until the itch is out of my system. I have itchy feet and like to travel.

My sincere thanks,

Guampaul
you will have to go with a training company, since you have no experience
Swift, JB Hunt Us Xpress, Werner,Crete Carrier to name a few, I purposely left out CR England
staying away from lease purchase is a very wise move
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 AM

All the OTR carriers are very poor places to work.
2 days off for every 14 out.
Most pay on HHG miles...about 10% of your hub miles will be unpaid.
Irregular shifts.
No pay for waiting, no pay when the wheels aren't turning.
Worthless health bennies with high co-pays.
Hometime a roll of the dice.
7th most dangerous US occupation.
No overtime.

Let me put it to you like this: I made .28 cpm as an OTR driver in 1993.
Today in 2010, the big McMega haulers like Werner are starting drivers at .25 cpm.

Basically, you'll live on the job for $40k if you're lucky.
Works out to like 8 bucks an hour.

These are nothing but slave jobs.
That's why OTR companies are constantly advertising, hiring, and training new drivers.
They can't keep the drivers they have.
Why?
Anyone with 1/2 a functioning brain leaves...

Last edited by Joey Shabadoo; 03-05-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
All,

My sincere thanks,

Guampaul
Learn all the best fishing spots along the coast...buy yourself a good boat...and guide fisher-persons.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
Irregular shifts.
No overtime.

Today in 2010, the big McMega haulers like Werner are starting drivers at .25 cpm.

That's why OTR companies are constantly advertising, hiring, and training new drivers.
Why?
just because you worked for a crappy company doesnt mean they all are
Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have itchy feet and like to travel.

My sincere thanks,

Guampaul

Try traveling down to the local CVS or Walgreen's . . this ought to do the trick . .

Tough Actin'® Tinactin®
Old 03-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers are reputable. Much of the denigration from drivers comes from either a lack of communication between the driver and his dispatcher or the driver not getting his way about something and throwing in the towel. There are some bad dispatchers, but a little communication can usually resolve most problems.

Your lack of experience will limit your options in the beginning. Most carriers need at least 1-3 years experience. The main reason is insurance. It is very difficult to cover a driver with no experience. Your school that helped you get your CDL should have some contacts to assist in finding a job. There is also a company listing on this website where you can check out some of the larger carriers and their requirements.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
Irregular shifts.
No overtime.

Why?
Stop holding back Joey and tell us what you really think :smokin:
Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Board Icon

Guampaul said:

Quote:
Took & passed Community College CDL A course 18 months ago, hold doubles-triples, tanker, hazmat, school bus & passenger endorsements, TWIC card, passport & current DOT physical.
Okay.... I'm impressed! You've put alot into this already, and didn't take any shortcuts. Sounds like you are serious! But, if you are.... you need to act SOON. 18 months and the clock is ticking before you would have to start all over. Heck.... the DOT physical is about to expire!

Quote:
Am used to international & national travel and shift work, 30 days on/5 off, etc..... and was with my last full time employer for 32 years. Also a veteran.
You're halfway there.... and don't listen to "Sha-Scoobydoo." He was a spoiled child and obviously NEVER in the military. The OTR life will not be such a problem for you. May I ask what type of job you retired from after 32 years?

Quote:
This will be a big plus for you, along with your history of longevity with your employer. If you read the threads on CSA2010 in the "DAC, oh my" forum, you'll see that people like you will get the attention of recuiters and safety directors at MOST companies.

Quote:

ANY recruiter who pushes leasing is a dead end! THESE are not the companies you should be applying to. SOME here may disagree with me, but I think you should set your sights higher. Consider OTHER companies besides the "mega carrier - starter companies." Although you MAY find one who treats you right and gives you a chance, they are not the ONLY way to get into trucking.

Mom and Pops are a good place to try. SMALLER companies with dedicated contracts often do their OWN "training" in an OJT style. MANY here think this kind of "team training" is bad, but it worked for me... and I think it would for you. I walked right out of CDL school into a small 30 truck company who believed in me* (and needed drivers) and had a trainer check me out for a month or so before making me a full team member. Team driving is a GOOD way to get into this business.

That being said.... check with Tidewater Transport. They're down there somewhere. I don't care WHAT their ads or website say about experience.... go TALK to them! If THEY can't help you, they may give you better advice as to where to start than any of US can. If I lived on the coast, I'd like nothing better than to haul tankers out of there and back. Hometime on the beach! That's what I'm talking about!

* this means I SOLD myself to them as a responsible OLDER driver with experiences beyond just shifting and steering, AND the confidence to take on such a job without needing a bunch of "hand-holding!" Like you, I didn't have alot of DEMANDS, and I sure didn't act like a deer in the headlights!

Quote:
You've invested ALOT into this for such a cavalier attitude. If you REALLY want to drive big rigs on the open road, see sights most people only see on T.V., and be somewhat in control of your future.... this is for you. If you have to start out with someone like Swift, Roehl, or Schneider to get started, it is worth it. Successful truckers find a NICHE company to work for.... one that does what you want to do. I went team to the west coast and back every week, got EVERY weekend at home for 2-3 days, and made steady miles and pay. My dispatcher left me alone to DO THE JOB, and the owner knew me by name. Before they hired me.... I'd never driven a truck professionaly.

Oh.... NOW.... after paying my dues for just under 3 years with that company, I got a 50% pay raise (with my next job) and I'm STILL making my own decisions. I've never slept in a rest area unless I wanted to, NEVER been out longer than 8 days, and been all over the states EXCEPT NYC.... which I won't do!

Here's more questions for you that could help us help you: Just WHAT type of OTR would you like to do? Really.... how many days out? Van, Reefer, tanker or flatbed? Team or solo? Hard, physical work.... or not? Routine... or Random?

What makes you want to drive a truck? What do you want to DO with this new career? And how old are you?

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

As a side note, most insurance companies look at the time you have had your CDL. Since you have had a CDL for 18 months that may be a plus. The down side is that you have not pulled anything with a trailer during that time. With the longevity of your CDL and the fact that you have been driving a bus for over a year could help with some carriers. However, many carriers don't consider anything local or without a trailer as having any experience. I would just keep knocking on doors and see if something falls into place for you. With the new CSA 2010 rules coming into place this year many drivers could find themselves out of a job. I spoke with a guy who works for a carrier with 500 trucks the other day and he told me that it is expected that over 160,000 drivers will lose their jobs. As the economy picks up this could create a good opportunity for those with a clean background and some experience.