User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

All,

My thanks to all who responded for the good advice. Additionaly, my thanks to golfhobo for his detailed response. It is very much appreciated on this end.

Golfhobo wrote:

" May I ask what type of job you retired from after 32 years? "

Here is a brief career summary in chronological order:

US Merchant Marine, sailed deep sea 3 years; went to sea @ 18 years old.

USAF flight line (operating specialized vehicles) & Air Weather Service 6 years

US Navy civilian employee (high voltage electrician) operating diesel electric power plants overseas in Pacific Islands, 5 years.

National Parks Service, motor vehicle operator, trades instructor & safety officer 2 years.

US Dept of Education, program analyst & correspondence writer, including DHS temporary assignment for Hurrican RITA disaster relief. 18 years.

The numbers do not add up to 32 because all figures have been rounded to the nearest whole year, up or down.

FWIW, I still have a valid mariner's document and considered going back to sea, but that industry is as depressed, and, hard to believe, even more regulated than trucking.

To reiterate, trucking appeals to me, but at the same time I do not want to jump in blind.

The experience I have gained driving a school bus is priceless and the most amazing/dismaying thing is the number of inattentive drivers who do not see the bright yellow bus with red lights flashing.

Even worse are the drivers who deliberately ignore the flashing red lights to pass while children are loading/unloading. That concern is the biggest worry I have operating the bus.

Once again, my thanks to all who responded. I truly appreciate it.

Guampaul

NC Outer Banks.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guampaul View Post
I have itchy feet and like to travel.

I would like to suggest a tube of Cruex and a new Harley Davidson. Those should cure all which ails you.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Rookie

A very good prescription, but in actuality I have a Triumph Bonneville and I doubt that I can get permission from SWMBO to bring home another bike. I would have a better chance of bringing home another wife.

Rgds,

Guampaul
NC Outer Banks
Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I believe the outfit Golfhobo referred to was Tidewater Transit, and they're based around Kinston, NC somewhere. They run flat-top and daycab Volvo's with bulk tanks and liquid tanks.

That being said, even some of the mega-carriers have their niches. In less than 2 years, my pay increased by 13 cents a mile (and it's about to go up another 4). Choose your battles wisely, and things will work out.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Rookie

have a similar question myself, Just got my CDL with a school that will also be giving me about 10,000 miles driving experience by June.

I was wondering what the best OTR company would be for Northern California no US experience?

Triumph Bonneville, good taste in bikes :thumbsup:
Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guampaul View Post
Am used to shift work, 30 days on/5 off, etc
Having never been in the military I am not familiar with their definition of "shift work," but the trucking industries definition entails getting up at 6am, wating all day for a load, and at 10pm when your tired and ready for bed, getting a load that has to be 600 miles away in the morning. Yes... 24 hour days are common in the trucking world cause God forbid your sleep interferes with a 19 year old dispatchers 8 hour day... after all he has a date and your life damned sure better not interfere with his chances of getting laid.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

[quote=Guampaul;476349]
The experience I have gained driving a school bus is priceless and the most amazing/dismaying thing is the number of inattentive drivers who do not see the bright yellow bus with red lights flashing.

If you can handle a bus load of screaming kids, you should have no problem driving an 18 wheeler.

Even worse are the drivers who deliberately ignore the flashing red lights to pass while children are loading/unloading. That concern is the biggest worry I have operating the bus.

[quote]

There are problems with inattentive drivers when you are in a big truck. You need to be on your toes all the time.