User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hazmat?

I just got to thinking, I've had my hazmat endorsement on and off since I started driving, but have never hauled the stuff. There's a pretty good chance my load in the morning will require placards. Are you required to pull into all open scale houses to show paperwork like you would an oversize load?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgrl View Post
I just got to thinking, I've had my hazmat endorsement on and off since I started driving, but have never hauled the stuff. There's a pretty good chance my load in the morning will require placards. Are you required to pull into all open scale houses to show paperwork like you would an oversize load?
No, some scales like in Georgia have a sign that says all hazmat loads to the rear, but you only have to stop and go inside if they tell you to, otherwise, just do it like you would with a normal load.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Cool, thanks for the reply. That takes a good deal of stress out of messing with it for me, and even more so once I get my permits and my PrePass application back in.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Remember that in some states.. the placarded hazmat load "trumps" the green light of the PrePass-- in other words, when hauling Hazmat- you have to act like you have NO PrePass.

Remember, to secure your placards against wind getting under them with duct tape or clear tape. And especially, remember they are checking your "blocking & bracing" be sure to have it secured. Also remember to always leave your bills & hazmat response book on the seat when you're not in the cab. And within arms reach while driving. And remember, all tickets count double points when hauling hazmat. And remember, stop for railroad crossings.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
Remember that in some states.. the placarded hazmat load "trumps" the green light of the PrePass-- in other words, when hauling Hazmat- you have to act like you have NO PrePass.

Remember, to secure your placards against wind getting under them with duct tape or clear tape. And especially, remember they are checking your "blocking & bracing" be sure to have it secured. Also remember to always leave your bills & hazmat response book on the seat when you're not in the cab. And within arms reach while driving. And remember, all tickets count double points when hauling hazmat. And remember, stop for railroad crossings.
HMMM learn something new everyday! I never knew about the pre pass or double points Thanks HB, I've been driveing now about 4 yrs and never had a haz mat load yet (and don't miss it)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

not true about the double points, ask me how I know. the pre pass comes with a paper that tells you which states you cant bypass in, it's only a few,but will probably increase
Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

You know......I stopped at the Arkansas scales on I-30 NB, there at Hope, and the Ohio scales on I-71 NB, south of Jeffersonville, and asked the question.....do I pull into the scales with a haz-mat load every time, even with a green light??

Both scales told me to follow the instructions. If the light is green...GO...if it is RED...or NO LIGHT, enter open scales. Idaho scales, I-84 WB at Boise told me the same thing. So....for the last 3 years have been going by scales with no problem what so ever.

Louisiana told me that if the Pre-Pass gives the GREEN light and the roadside electronic signs say "Truck enter scale", to follow the Pre-Pass and GO also.

If you are not sure.....stop and ask the question. Most of the folks in the scales are very reasonable and accomodating.

"Blocking & Bracing"........dammit boy!!! That is why yesterday's load beat the holy crud out of me.........I forgot the "bracing & blocking"!!! :tears: :tears:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Board Icon

How do the coops know if you are hauling HAZMAT?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
How do the coops know if you are hauling HAZMAT?
I'm guessing if your placards are properly displayed for all to see, or if you get randomly pulled in.

Other than that, it seems very easy to slip by if you had the nerve to do so.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Board Regular

Make sure while driving you always leave your paperwork and hazmat response book within arms reach especially in Georgia. I have been pulled over and inspected 3 times already in Georgia alone while hauling hazmat. Never got a ticket though.

Also, be careful when you open the doors to back up to a dock. Sometimes the fumes can be pretty noxious.