User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Part time OTR?

Since it's been a few months since I posted, I thought I'd come back to give an update and look for some more guidance. I came home just in time for the G20 conference and got into a private security job for that which I was expecting to roll into a full time position, but that flopped.

So, I checked with a good college here that has, in my opinion, has an unparalleled veteran's program. The catch is that the degree program that I want, they only have as a minor, but are in the process of expanding into a major. I could cross my fingers and hope that I can transfer to it before I get too deep involved in my alternative major.

I found that I may have a chance to use retraining funds to pay for a local CDL course. The program is 160 hours with road time. So, I'm going to try to see if I can manage to do that along with doing general college courses in the spring semester. I have a friend who has driven for a cement company for 14 years, and they're starting drivers at $10.95/hour, plus benefits, and he averages 50 - 60 hours/week in the winter. So I can use that as a fall back.

I still would like to drive OTR, though. I'm looking for input as to the chances I might have to get with an OTR company temporarily, like over the summer, possibly longer until the college gets my major together. Like I said, I would be getting my CDL through gov't funds, so I wouldn't have to be worried about repaying the training. Any advice?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is usually not a contract with any carrier which specifies that you must stay with them for a specific time period unless they are training you and helping you to get your CDL. If you are only planning to stay with a carrier for 3 months then I don't see that it will be worth it to go through the training. You may still be working with a trainer for 3 months. It will not help you much if you decide to go back with another carrier. If you let too much time elapse between driving jobs you may find it difficult to get with another carrier without first going through a refresher course. It seems like a waste of time for 3 months work. I would not want to go through the training unless it is something that I would commit at least a year or two. If you are going to use the training to get a job driving a cement truck then that is another matter. Keep in mind that should you later decide to go over the road any local driving experience is usually not counted as experience with most carriers. There are some companies that use yard jockey's and you might find something doing that while you are going to college. Most local driving jobs are Monday through Friday during daylight hours.

I think it is good that you want to finish your education. There are other jobs you could do that could earn yourself a living without going through all the training. I have known of some who have even delivered pizza's while going to college. Some make up to $12/hour with tips. You didn't mention your major, but there might even be something that you could do which would give you some practical experience in the industry in which you would like to eventually work.

Most college driving school programs are about 11 weeks. It doesn't make much sense to me to train for 11 weeks to only use that training for 12 weeks. If you plan on driving for at least a year or two then it would be worth the time and effort to get your CDL. If you look at this as a career then there are few professions where you can earn as much money as driving a truck with only a few weeks training. There are a number of colleges that offer on line classes. I have seen some drivers who are taking classes this way while they earn a living. You could at least take some of your lower level classes this way. Just a thought.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member

part time OTR? you might as well be a pizza delivery driver. ;-)
Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Kevin0915 would be better at that.....:thumbsup: and the roads would be safer.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The company I've been pulling for has a half a dozen drivers that are retired, and driving part-time. Two drivers are assigned to one truck. One takes it out one week, and the other the next week. Seems to me that Roehl had a program something like that too. Talk to the companies and see if it works for them. Kevin has not been in this business long enough to give any insight.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, but Windy, these driver's are seasoned drivers, with a safety record.

Most companies I think would want to see a minimum of 2 years exp, before they allow a driver to slipseat like this.

There are seasonal driving jobs around agricultural areas, during harvest. Many retired guy's in my area will drive for the farms and processing plants. I did this one year, emptying the freezer at a Processing Plant, hauling frozen fruit to a Cold Storage. I was home every night, and raked in more money doing this than OTR.
Also pulling tandem flats, hauling the fruit into the Processor.

Last edited by Roadhog; 12-21-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Board Icon

It wasn't something I had tried before. Just an idea I was throwing up into the air and see where it lands.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Until you get some solid experience it will be difficult for most companies to hire you. It takes time to hone your driving skills. Insurance rates are partly determined by the level of experience of drivers. A driver is more apt to have an accident or claim during the first 2 or 3 years he begins driving. There are only a small number of carriers who are willing to hire inexperienced drivers. Things change dramatically once a driver obtains 2 or 3 years experience.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Rookie

Sadly, the only experience that I have driving a larger-than-normal vehicle is driving a 7 ton with trailer to resupply my company positions in Iraq. However, that was also rather low key, as in my Sgt let me drive knowing that I wanted to, without the licenses.

However, I registered for classes today with the college, and I will have one class starting at 6 pm, which will be a bit of a sacrifice in regards to the time I have between CDL course and college course. Though I don't think that will be a problem. I don't like to brag, but I received a 1110 SAT when I was in 9th grade, and 99th percentile AFQT on the ASVAB in 10th grade.

I just want to drive, over the road, long haul.

After this semester, I will assess where the college is in comparison to where I want them to be, and will either continue with the Post-9-11 GI Bill, or postpone it for a time.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Or better yet....hire a Dominatrix a couple nights a week to tie you up and beat you with a leather strap.

Almost the same level of satisfaction...