User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Roehl does do a 7/7 program. I did it for a year or so and it worked out pretty good. Schneider just started a thing at our DC in Henderson called a flex driver program. What it is is you hire on as a part time driver and when they need people to cover loads they start calling. No benefits and part-time only, I talked to a couple of guys who are doing it and are retired. They come in for a load, work 6-8 hrs and make $120 bucks or so. They like it. You might look into several large companys and see if they are doing this type of thing.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

info off the Roehl site;

Roehl 7-on/7-off Fleet
The ultimate home time, exclusively from Roehl. Drive 7, be home 7. 7-on / 7-off Drivers are paid at the National Fleet rate (in 2004 7/7 drivers averaged 85,000 miles - $34,000). Please check with a Roehl recruiter to see if we're currently hiring 7/7 drivers in your area. Space in the 7-on / 7-off fleet program may be limited in some areas of the country. *Must have minimum of 50,000 miles experience

Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the assistance and comments from everybody. I will see about looking into Schneider and Roehl more. I'm in Pittsburgh, so I'm also going to have to track down what companies keep centers closer to my area. I should have used the term "temporary OTR" instead of "part time," but I didn't think about it til after it posted.

Well, the class I had to go to for state funding was canceled due to holidays this week, so I will be going to the one next week and going from there. I know it's different in a car, but I put 30k miles on my car and I haven't even had it a year yet. And there's just something about driving highway, I figure that I might have a chance to get it out of my blood if I drove for a bit while waiting for my college to finish their stuff.

Last edited by USMCRebelGuardnU; 12-23-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I know that Roehl does or did have a big thing about hiring Vets. It would give you a leg up as I think they put Vets to the head of the hiring pool. If you call make sure you tell them you are a Vet. They even put a special sticker on your truck. yea to that I guess but at least they do acknowledge our Vets.

The info posted about the 7/7 is about right in my experience. $30-$35k a year for a part-time job is not too shabby in my book. Be aware that you slip-seat with one other driver so if you get stuck out because of loads, weather etc and stay out 8-9 days your partner works that many days less and vice-versa. This was a problem in my area (New England) but may not be one in another. Still, it didn't happen all of the time.

Roehl also was doing a 7/3-7/4 where 3 guys slip seated a 2 trucks. 7 on 3 off then 7 on 4 off. More money. don't know if they are still doing it.

Last edited by jonp; 12-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Rookie

Roehl did have an awesome setup for veterans with the Honor Program, but they cancelled that just before I needed it. Oh, well... Stuff happens.
But I'm banging my head against the wall right now. I've looked at Schneider's site countless times and just now realized that they have a yard here in Pittsburgh. So, if things go right, Schneider will be my first choice and Roehl my second. Thanks again for all the assistance.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Schneider

You may want to check out pumpkindriver.com. Last I knew, I don't think Schneider has been taking unexperienced school grads for some time. BOL
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Rookie

the Schneider yard is in Coraopolis, which is just 10 miles north from Pittsburgh, it's a tanker yard
Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Rookie

I just drove by the school the other day, and noticed that they had a Schneider trailer parked next to their other trailers, so I think that's a pretty good sign that Schneider hires through them. On the other hand, it could just be that they bought a Schneider trailer and they didn't get a chance to repaint it yet...
Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Last I heard was that Schneider was not hiring inexperienced drivers for the time being. I took a new guy out last week to show him the ropes and he said that the most inexperienced driver in his orientation had about 5 yrs on the road.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

Hey USMCRebelGuardnU,

My advice is to get in school and finish that with your GI BILL.As a matter of fact that's what i do too right now,i'm taking a break from trucking(i have my own truck operation) and i'm using my GI bill for some online college classes and i'm being enrolled in a leadership school that i have to do in order to get promoted to E5 with the air force national guard.

For me, it's a struggle these months on running at decent rates and there is no reason to stay on the road.My plan is to stay in school until may of this year and get back when freight rates are somewhat acceptable for making a profit.

Your situation is more different,but if you have the option go to college and then when the driver job market is better go ahead and jump in.You really don't want to work for peanuts right now.