User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What to do?

Well, I graduated CDL driving school in late August this year.

And have had HORRIBLE luck at finding a job. Mainly because of one ticket on my MVR ( reckless driving back in January 07)

Swift has already Pre-hired me, but they have been jerking me around on a orientation date. First, I was supposed to go to Atlanta on Sept 15th, that didn't happen, now they call me and tell me " sometime in January"

Covenant says they can hire me in January when my reckless driving becomes 3 yrs old due to insurance purposes.

That's all fine and dandy, but, it's not helping me right now. I am unemployed with no way to pay my 190 dollar a month driving school payment, and if i am 60 days late, the school can have my CDL revoked for non-payment. So i am really in a hard place here.

What do you guys think? Will my chances greatly improve when the ticket is 3 yrs old?

I've wanted to be a trucker ever since i took that first ride in one with my dad at 10 yrs old, I don't know what i'd do if this didn't work out for me..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

First of all, they can't revoke your license for non-payment. The school doesn't control your license - the state does.

A reckless driving ticket is a very tough one. I got a reckless driving about 22 years ago and it STILL affects me.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Board Icon

Are you for real? If you can't get a driving job then go do something else until you can get a driving job. No excuse for not being able to pay that bill when you can do another job.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, try and work with swift since it DOES sound like they will at least work with you. I'll tell you the truth, that is a major ticket and you'll have a hard time finding anyone that will take you b4 3 years. If you already had some driveing exp I'd say look someplace local, even if it's seasonal work like me. Since you don't have prior exp, I'd say stck it out with swift for a year or 2
Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0rk Ch0p View Post
Well, I graduated CDL driving school in late August this year.

And have had HORRIBLE luck at finding a job. Mainly because of one ticket on my MVR ( reckless driving back in January 07)

Swift has already Pre-hired me, but they have been jerking me around on a orientation date. First, I was supposed to go to Atlanta on Sept 15th, that didn't happen, now they call me and tell me " sometime in January"

Covenant says they can hire me in January when my reckless driving becomes 3 yrs old due to insurance purposes.

That's all fine and dandy, but, it's not helping me right now. I am unemployed with no way to pay my 190 dollar a month driving school payment, and if i am 60 days late, the school can have my CDL revoked for non-payment. So i am really in a hard place here.

What do you guys think? Will my chances greatly improve when the ticket is 3 yrs old?

I've wanted to be a trucker ever since i took that first ride in one with my dad at 10 yrs old, I don't know what i'd do if this didn't work out for me..
Probably should have not put yourself in the position of receiving a reckless driving citation, since you wanted to be a trucker from the age of 10....... :thumbsup:

There is always McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Subway, KFC, Denny's as options.....
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Probably should have not put yourself in the position of receiving a reckless driving citation, since you wanted to be a trucker from the age of 10....... :thumbsup:

There is always McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Subway, KFC, Denny's as options.....
We've all got 20/20 hindsight,don't we. But, I'll bet your crystal ball is just as cloudy about the future as the rest of ours.

That said, I've never known BD to soften things over. Is it possible to get a driving job? Probably. But, that 3 years is a very real thing. The insurance companies have a strangle hold on this industry. They can nearly dictate who will drive and who won't. And, it's been that way for a while. If you have to do "day-labor" until the 3 years is over, that's what you will have to do. As stated earlier, 22 years later, it will still be affecting you job chances. And, in the future, things may get even harder. Up to now, many companies are saying that things like that must be at least 3 years old, but in the future, expect them to start saying "NON EVER", like a lot of them are saying about a DUI now. Don't expect the requirements on your driving record to relax. If anything, they are going to get tighter.

I'm guessing that at the time, you had no thought of the future. It's always the other guys that get caught. The reality of it all is, we all get our chances to be the "other guy". It also sounds like you didn't give much thought to the "timing" of going to school. Now, you're going to have to work much harder to get a job, and that also holds true for keeping your job. Expect to be passed over in favor of someone that does not have that on their record. Those of us that have completely clean or "no record" are out here, and we are your competition. Don't expect us to pass on a job so that you can get it. Some might, but others will not. You've made it far more tough on yourself than you needed to, and there's not going back to change anything. Poor choices lead to poor chances.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

First, it's in the paper work from the driving school. They have power of attorney to " pull" my license for non-payment.. I'm making the payments, it's just hard.

Second, the ticket I got was pure BS. I won't bother to go into details, because most, if not all of you will say bla bla you're just making up excuses etc, But, I will say that it was nothing more than speeding ( 80 in a 65, that's only 15 over, 25 over is supposed to be reckless according to Alabama state law) And it also involved a jerk-off of a Alabama State Trooper. Tried, but couldn't get out of it.

As far as waiting out the 3 years, the 3 years will be up come January 20th 2010, so it's not too far off. And I was also told that the ticket should fall off my MVR completely in 5 years, according to the judge at court when I originally went to court for the ticket. Also, the ticket was not drug or alcohol related. I was just speeding, it's not like I was out street racing, etc etc. Absolutely no one was ever in any danger due to my driving.

Swift said they didn't care about my reckless driving ticket as long as it wasn't drug or alcohol related.. And Covenant said that they would hire me after the ticket was 3 yrs old, and they go by date of the offense. So, I guess I will be able to be hired with them come January. I hope.

If none of this works out, I don't know what I'll do. Back to the drawing board.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I alway thought that 15 over was driving to endanger
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 PM

The officer himself said " 25 and over is reckless" then he said i was doing 80 in a 65, and handed me a reckless ticket..and i was like..but..80 is only 15 over, not 25. He just smirked and left... But whatever, it's in the past now. And the 3 yr mark is almost here. Hopefully then some jobs will open up.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Board Regular

Since your dad is or was a truck driver it is hard for me to believe that you actually went to driving school knowing you had a reckless driving ticket that was less than 3 years old on your record. Either your dad didn’t care enough to tell you the score or you didn’t want to hear it. Either way you are lucky that you don’t have much longer to wait.

On top of it any school that would sign up a student knowing that they won’t be able to find a job when they graduate is unscrupulous as hell and you ought to tell them to stick their tuition payments up where the sun doesn’t shine or you will take them to court and expose them for being the rotten money grubbing shysters they are.

Finally, the way you blame the troopers who gave you the reckless driving ticket for your piss poor driving record is in all likelihood the way you will sound after you lose your trucking career in a few short months. Obviously, you will blame the trucking company who takes a chance and hires you and not yourself. Good luck.