User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
You need to do a bit of studying in regards to CSA 2010. This is very complicated and convoluted set of new regs coming down.

Start reading here, CSA2010

And here, check the left side bar, as this is the best site I have found on this subject. CSA 2010 FMCSA New Carrier Rating System Measured by 7 Behavior Analysis & Safety Improvement Categories

And I think that 175,000 drivers losing their jobs may be a bit conservative. This is some scary stuff, especially for the little guy.

So why are those sites you posted, (one a "blog" about CSA2010, and the other a commercial corporation wanting to teach "you" their version of the meaning behind CSA2010), better than the FMCSA link??

What is CSA 2010?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
So why are those sites you posted, (one a "blog" about CSA2010, and the other a commercial corporation wanting to teach "you" their version of the meaning behind CSA2010), better than the FMCSA link??

What is CSA 2010?
I chose that particular site, the corp one, because it actually had interviews with carriers going through the interventions in the test states. And it gave a pretty good run down in the blog area as to one major change, the x3 multiplier. As far as what they are selling, I could really care less. I was more interested in the numbers and interviews. You can go to the FMCSA site and see the same numbers, but you will not get the layman breakdown like on the linked site.

And I am not trying to sell any software, in fact, I really did not see any reference other than a banner ad and one line in the blog regarding whatever they are pushing.

And go over those numbers regarding what a driver can expect, even warnings count against a driver with the full force as if an actual ticket had been issued. Also look at the fatigued driver info, talk about hogwash. Look at how enforcement works, how you will be tagged, etc. I just wish that they would have been more in depth with the fines that the carriers will be facing, one outfit was already in for "thousands of dollars" in fines. A carrier that had an excellent safety rating under the old system. I don't like the sound of any of this, it is just to punitive for both carriers and drivers. I know how easy it was to get a negative on your SAFER under the old system, this new system looks like a jobs and business killer all in the name of safety with no recourse.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Board Regular

Here is another blog that spells it out... And yes, it looks like he has a newsletter or something...

RMR CONSULTANTS
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

My whole question is will CSA 2010 cause dispatchers to back off the games they play.

I have been with 4 companies over the years ..from large to very small and dispatchers are all the same and behave the same,

Simply stated they are ....Lying,coercing,manipulating,sacks of bleep....issedoff:

Will this give them cause to be good little boys and girls :rofl:

Last edited by zipy46; 10-18-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
My whole question is will CSA 2010 cause dispatchers to back off the games they play.

I have been with 4 companies over the years ..from large to very small and dispatchers are all the same and behave the same,

Simply stated they are ....Lying,coercing,manipulating,sacks of bleep....issedoff:

Will this give them cause to be good little boys and girls :rofl:
I was doing some searching and could not find the regulation change that went right to your question, but the answer is yes. No more fun and games, as everyone in the office from the CEO to the janitor are now on the hook. And I wish I could find that recent change, because as a previous company owner, the wording scared me to death. It pretty much stated that as the owner of said company you will will have to know of problems before they happen and that there will be moral obligation or some such nonsense. It put the owner of a company in a very precarious position as it was worded. I took it that one would have to be a mind reader and carry a crystal ball around at all times in regards to EVERY aspect of ones company, right down to what kind of shorts your drivers wear, briefs or boxers.

Yes, I would say you are protected in that regard, but in the long run, I think many will find that they are actually much more vulnerable for abuse from the feds. And remember, DAC will be handling your driver records. So are you really safer now or when the new rules kick in? It will be interesting to see.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Board Regular

One thing I do see happening here, is that sure, many drivers may lose their jobs. But, what will be the effects on the drivers that get by this first hurdle of implementation? The one thing that I do see, is that mileage will suffer. These new rules are so stringent and the fines are so costly, that I see drivers actually running fewer miles to give a driver more than enough time to make their pick ups and deliveries.

Say you have a 500 mile run, and presently you have 1.5 days to complete the pu and delivery. Under the new rules, I can see this same run being stretched to two days and possibly three depending on shipper and consignees hours of operations. And possibly longer waits to get the next load because of the new driver fatigue rules. Say it now takes two days to make the above 500 mile delivery, but instead of heading down the road for that next load, the company may put that load off until the following day, to make sure you are well rested. So now a day and a half load is now actually a three day load, see what I mean? There are already companies out there running like this, Schneider being one of them.

Will this raise rates or driver pay? I don't know, but something will have to be done, as I see drivers sitting as much as actually driving and making less money under this new set of regs. Time will tell, and I think we can all say that this will be a nightmare for drivers and carriers for at least the first year of implementation.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Reminds me of the concern over the new HOS. Going to take twice as long to do anything,need more trucks ect. Didn't pan out that way.
Learn to work with the new regulations,not get in an uproar over it.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Looks like we will have to wait and see...

Safestat apparently wasn't working out...I'd be surprised if the Gov't actually did

something right for a change. :moon:

(PS:From experience:If dispatchers planned at 50 mph...99% of things would fall into place with much less hassle)
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Whatever happens we will learn to deal with it. We have made it through a number of HOS changes and these will be no different. We either deal with it or get out of the business. One of these days perhaps they will actually have those who are directly affected to provide input rather than these inexperienced bureaucrats.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Reminds me of the concern over the new HOS. Going to take twice as long to do anything,need more trucks ect. Didn't pan out that way.
Learn to work with the new regulations,not get in an uproar over it.
The new HOS weren't that big a deal, at least to me. And they were nothing like this two ton gorilla that is set to pounce upon us. Just looking at the scoring and that 3x multiplier, that is a real nightmare waiting to happen. And it does not take much to find your way into the system in regards to getting flagged at a scale house. Just simply leaving off the commodity or shipper number in your log book gets you 6 to possibly 12 points if not more depending on the DOT inspector.

Look at the truck inspection safety section, it reads like "how much money will we make off of this guy today?". And once you are in the system, every scale house in the nation will have a shot at you. Are you up for that? Is your equipment and log book ready to go? There is so much potential for abuse here that it makes my head spin.