User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just went up to $59 per day for the last quarter of this year and beyond.... Whoo Hoo.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I haven't heard about the rate going up. It all helps. Where did you hear about the rate going up, wsyrob?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Not redundant at all. She is more knowledgeable about tax law than you, and she says you're wrong. Done. End of story.
This, from the guy who cannot distinguish between a medical-expense ceiling and a floor.
You're a joke, and I'm laughing.

Dobry? Unless I miss my guess, she's a summer-intern at an accounting firm? Sorry, but her
relentless parroting of the "rules" -- as restrictively stated by the IRS -- is simply naive' and
would ultimately do her clients a disservice. Not that she'll have a great deal of trucker clients,
because word will get around.

Funny, but the first thing we got told in CDL-A school was: "Don't get your taxes done at an
HR Block. Go to an accountant that understands the rules as it pertains to transportation
industry workers." So I come here to ask a few questions, and I run into two know-it-alls
who wouldn't stray from the IRS Code if Timothy Geithner wrote them a hallway pass.

....And the funny part is, you both think you're some kind of authorities, despite obvious
lack of knowledge on both your parts. Carry on with your misinformation, please, I'm consulting
with real experts now.:moon:
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergod View Post
Dobry? Unless I miss my guess, she's a summer-intern at an accounting firm? .
As with 99.9 % of this thread, you are sadly mistaken. I have been in accounting more than 30 years and much of it as an government auditor. I believe I am qualified to discuss this and have referenced my opinion to that of the IRS rules and regulations.

It troubles me that you insist on misguiding people with your inaccurate tax "information". :thumbsdown: :hellno::hellno::hellno:
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I prefer working with a CPA who has experience working in trucking. There are bookkeeping services who may also do a good job if they work with truckers on a regular basis. I know of a local bookkeeping service who works with trucking companies with as many as 60 trucks. I have never used them but know of some who have and they seem to be happy with them. There are a few who only work with truckers. I would not want H & R Block to do my taxes. I would prefer paying someone with experience to do them should I be in the market for someone to take care of my taxes. If you don't want to believe dobry4u then find someone locally or go to your local IRS office. You can also go to the IRS website and get their booklet which explains all of the deductions.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I prefer working with a CPA who has experience working in trucking. There are bookkeeping services who may also do a good job if they work with truckers on a regular basis. I know of a local bookkeeping service who works with trucking companies with as many as 60 trucks. I have never used them but know of some who have and they seem to be happy with them. There are a few who only work with truckers. I would not want H & R Block to do my taxes. I would prefer paying someone with experience to do them should I be in the market for someone to take care of my taxes. If you don't want to believe dobry4u then find someone locally or go to your local IRS office. You can also go to the IRS website and get their booklet which explains all of the deductions.
as per usual, pretty good advice, Gman. IMHO though, the OP was telling us it was ok to go ahead and take the deduction without itemizing. He was claiming to know it was "ok" to do so, WHICH IT IS NOT. He was not seeking advice, but rather trying to "enlighten" us with his misguided opinion. I offered IRS publications to support my objections to the OP's claim. Again, the poster was not looking for advice, but rather "calling the nay say'ers out" and questioning their qualifications over his own.

As far as H&R Block goes, having them prepare a simple return isn't such a bad thing. Much cheaper than a CPA and many people want the rapid refund. The OP obviously was not driving as a business or otherwise he would have been able to take those deductions on a Schedule C or other business filings, but rather the OP, so it seems, was a W2 employee.

I would definitely recommend a CPA for complex, such as business returns, but simple returns really don't need the cost of a CPA, IMHO.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

I was under the understanding.. or misunderstanding

that for the 2009 tax year.. that the Transportation Worker Averaging Method was $52.00 @ 80% up to October(and the third quarter was calculated at $58.00 @ 80%. And since this method was an "average" there was no Itemizing needed especially since the rates are different for various areas of the country.. thus requiring your log book to prove where you were to take advantage of those higher rates on those specific dates.

So what is correct amounts?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
as per usual, pretty good advice, Gman. IMHO though, the OP was telling us it was ok to go ahead and take the deduction without itemizing. He was claiming to know it was "ok" to do so, WHICH IT IS NOT. He was not seeking advice, but rather trying to "enlighten" us with his misguided opinion. I offered IRS publications to support my objections to the OP's claim. Again, the poster was not looking for advice, but rather "calling the nay say'ers out" and questioning their qualifications over his own.

As far as H&R Block goes, having them prepare a simple return isn't such a bad thing. Much cheaper than a CPA and many people want the rapid refund. The OP obviously was not driving as a business or otherwise he would have been able to take those deductions on a Schedule C or other business filings, but rather the OP, so it seems, was a W2 employee.

I would definitely recommend a CPA for complex, such as business returns, but simple returns really don't need the cost of a CPA, IMHO.

As far as I know you either itemize or file a short form. There is no in between. My returns tend to be somewhat complex so I prefer someone with a little more knowledge if I am going to pay someone to prepare my taxes. I think that H & R Block and some of the other tax preparers who set up shop at WalMart use a software program to plug in your tax information. It would probably be all right for a company driver as long as the preparer had some knowledge of the trucking industry. I met one owner operator who had 3 trucks and he always used H & R Block for his taxes.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
I was under the understanding.. or misunderstanding

that for the 2009 tax year.. that the Transportation Worker Averaging Method was $52.00 @ 80% up to October(and the third quarter was calculated at $58.00 @ 80%. And since this method was an "average" there was no Itemizing needed especially since the rates are different for various areas of the country.. thus requiring your log book to prove where you were to take advantage of those higher rates on those specific dates.

So what is correct amounts?

You can check with your local IRS office or their website. Do a search for irsforms.com. You may not know for sure until the new forms are made available on January 1, 2010. The last few years it has been $52/day.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member