User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Graduated truck school but can't get a break!

I recently graduated from :AR15:Western Pacific Truck school :badass: with my Class A & all three of my endorsments, but can't seem to get a break from any of the companies. All these compaines for the most part want at least 1-3 years of OTR! Im sure hoping something pans out for me soon since I spent $4690.00 :bigangry: on truck school and to date have gotten nothing but apps to fill out & turn downs! What does a guy like myself do? Any help or information would be appreciated!:bigthumbsup:
Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Board Regular

Hate to sound like an A-hole, but if you had looked at the economy and read postings, along with trucking news sites, you would have seen that companies arn't hiring right now. My company has a waiting list of at least 100 drivers. With all the companies that closed down and O/O that lost their trucks....the market is flooded with qualified drivers. Don't give up though.....keep plugging away with the apps....something will break open eventually.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would check with some of the training carriers to see if they might have something. Swift, CRST, Roehl, Millis, Covenant and US Xpress are a few. As Phantom433a mentioned, some of them may have hiring freezes with the slow economy. Finding a good job as an inexperienced driver may be a challenge. Where you reside could also be an issue. If there are any truck stops near you there are free magazines that are available which list driving jobs. I would just keep on making phone calls and filling out applications. There are a couple of websites which offer a general application that will match you with those most likely to hire you. You can check the "Company Listings" on this forum for qualifications for many driving jobs. I believe there is also an application such as I mentioned that you can fill out. When the economy is this slow it is a matter of doing more leg work. It is much easier for carriers to deal with experienced drivers when things are slow. I am sure that you will find something if you keep at it.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Board Regular

Damn dude...

$5K is A LOT TO SPEND on a school that doesn't offer PLACEMENT. While most schools can NOT GUARANTEE PLACEMENT - the more expensive ones DO have "ins" with companies that hire newbs. For THAT KIND OF $$, I would have expected to get more than a handshake and a piece of plastic with 3 endorsements.

I'm graduating a local county vocational school program (McFatter Technical Center, Davie, Florida). While WAY LESS EXPENSIVE than your school (or Roadmasters or some of the other CDL Mills) at $1,850 - I was told UP FRONT that there was no "placement service".

Other things to consider would be; your driving record, criminal convictions, DUI's, etc. Even with a CLEAN RECORD - location is also a major consideration.

In my case - NO ONE HIRES OUT OF FLORIDA - especially RECENT SCHOOL GRADUATES. A glance at Roadmasters "recruiter days" for their Orlando and Tampa locations clued me to this fact right off the bat.

So, I'll "adopt" a Georgia address and go from there.

With all the out of work executives that would flip burgers if they could, with fleets sitting idle (as GMan alluded to), now is probably the WORST TIME for a new to seek employment in the trucking industry - and not applying from the correct geographical location is likely the WORST STRIKE you can have against you...

Rick
Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Okay, this might upset a few people, and i dont care, someone has to say it......

The economy has been on the decline since since Dec. 2007-ish....and really been in the tank since mid 2008. I was LUCKY and started/finished CDL school in Mid 2008. But seeing how since then, everything related to truck driving has been on the decline (i.e. freight, miles, companies actually hiring), why would ANYBODY even consider blowing $3,000 - 5,000 on getting your CDL, in the desperate hopes that YOU stand out and could actually get a job in short time??

The average driving school takes 3-4 weeks to complete. And they start on a weekly basis. You just KNOW how many people are so desperate looking for work, they graduate college with a degree in something, now they cannot find work, so instead of resorting to being a cook at Hooters (i really wouldnt mind..) they think they can make big bucks being a truck driver.

Like an IndyCar driver jumping in a car knowing the car is setup for a super speedway(little drag/little downforce), when they're racing at a 7/8 mile track (high drag/high downforce), and trying to keep pace.....they are going to find it almost impossible. Same holds true for anybody, ANYBODY going thru driver school, thinking they are going to automaticly have a job waiting for them at the end of the tunnel. Anybody who attends school in some desperate hope they'll have a job at the end of their hard work, is just plain STOOOOPID.

Kinda like if you were to jump off a cliff, with a sign that says "warning: cliff" and you dont bother to read the sign.....you are stoooopid. The sign has been out there in this industry saying "few to very little jobs out there", yet hundreds maybe thousands still continue to apply and attend driving schools, then cry about not getting work for this reason or that reason, when its all over with. How about, saving your $4,000, and sending it to me, or better yet, send it to Obama.....lord knows the country needs it.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

it has a lot to do with where your home is located right now. Keep at it and be that squeaky wheel! :thumbsup:
Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Thank you everyone for the information. (Bad & hopeful) I just wanted to say that the school told me that helping me get a job was going to be no problem! They have job placement at least so I was told. But it seems that just handing your grads apps to fill out isnt a whole lot of help. Now looking back its 20/20 seeing that they are just salesman trying to make a sale for the school and will say anything to make that "sale." Yet I will keep pounding the payment and hope for the best!

Last edited by SirCronus; 07-04-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't pay Kevin no mind.. It's hard finding a job for a Truck Driver period!! Experience or Inexperienced.. One thing is where your located!! it looks like your on the West Coast, i thought most Trucking companies out there had that Western Eleven thing going on like Werner/Swift and others.. Keep looking and something will pop up...
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Rookie

I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the same position. I paid $4000 out of my own pocket to go to school. They told me there are jobs but things are slow but they told me it wouldn't be THIS hard to land a job as a newbie.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A friend of mine is looking for a driving job. He lives on the left coast. He is finding that some won't hire in California but will in Nevada and vice versa. It depends on their travel lanes. That can be true about anywhere you live. There are some regions where it can be more difficult to find a driving job than others. Florida, parts of the Western U.S. and New England can be difficult for some carriers.