User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie W Some Questions

Hey Everyone.

I've been trolling this forum for a few days now and reading a lot of good information from all of the members here. Getting some great insight so thanks for being here.

I do have a question I'm hoping to get some experienced answers to. I've made the decision to get into trucking and from what I've seen I've got 2 options. #1 I can go to one of the big companies (Schneider Swift JB Hunt etc) and get trained through them and drive for them for a while (say about a year) and get my feet wet that way. Or #2 go to a private school and hope they can get me a job after training. From what I've seen and read, I'm not going to get into many jobs going #2 route because of lack of experience, but if I stick with a major carrier, they'll provide me with the training I need. Money isn't really an issue as I'll be paying for most if not all of my school up front. I'm based out of Colorado and I know I'm going to have to travel either to California or Utah or other states to go to school.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm on the verge of a major decision.

Thanks in Advance
Matt

Last edited by Lynchmob03; 08-17-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Board Icon

Schneider is no longer training new drivers. They've closed down their training facility.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Board Regular

I won't pretend to be a great experienced "guru o' trucking", but if you have the option of paying for your training yourself, that would be the way to go, in my opinion.
While the training companies do offer sure employment afterwards, you're TIED TO THEM and "on the hook" for the costs if you are separated from their employ for any reason.
Once you have your own cdl, you can still hire on with a training company, just at a different level--and you'll have retained your ability and right to "fire" them if it's not a workable situation.
It's hard finding a decent trucking job, right now, even for seasoned drivers, so I understand your concerns. There are both advantages and disadvantages to both options, so you'll have to decide which is more important to you: the freedom to be your own "free agent", or the more sure post-training employment with the company that trains you. Obviously, I'm biased toward the first option!

One more thing: If you have the option of paying for your training, what makes you choose an industry that's sort of "in the pot" right now? Are you seeing the long nights, cold weather, mind-numbing boredom, disrespect, and loneliness that are such integral parts of this job? Before I get myself clobbered by the "lifestyle apologists", yes, there are good things about it, too. Just be careful to take a good hard look at this career before you plunk down that kind of money----when there may have been a career that might have suited you better, and training that would have played more toward your strengths!
Either way, best of luck to you---and welcome to the board!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchmob03 View Post
Hey Everyone.

I've been trolling this forum for a few days now and reading a lot of good information from all of the members here. Getting some great insight so thanks for being here.

I do have a question I'm hoping to get some experienced answers to. I've made the decision to get into trucking and from what I've seen I've got 2 options. #1 I can go to one of the big companies (Schneider Swift JB Hunt etc) and get trained through them and drive for them for a while (say about a year) and get my feet wet that way. Or #2 go to a private school and hope they can get me a job after training. From what I've seen and read, I'm not going to get into many jobs going #2 route because of lack of experience, but if I stick with a major carrier, they'll provide me with the training I need. Money isn't really an issue as I'll be paying for most if not all of my school up front. I'm based out of Colorado and I know I'm going to have to travel either to California or Utah or other states to go to school.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm on the verge of a major decision.

Thanks in Advance
Matt
Train right there where you are at, then talk with companies that are right there in your area. You never know who will hire you, if you walk through their door looking presentable, and present your case for employment. You can talk with local companies while you are going to school.

Don't place all your hopes for getting hired, on internet based applications. Truck bosses like to see the face behind applications.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Rookie

I'd had just assumed that it would be easier for me to get trained and hired on by that same company. I was unaware Schneider wasn't training anymore and has limited my possibilities. If I wanted out I had no problem paying the remainder of my schooling, but I'd at least come out with a CDL and at least 6 months exp. which is better than none.

This has always been a little dream of mine to drive and it's the perfect time for me right now to get into if I can. JewelsnTools, that's some good cold hard advice and I'm glad I'm getting it. I don't romanticize this job at all, I know it's tough, long hard boring work, but I feel it'll be rewarding, and I'll see a few 'interesting' things along the way as I'm sure most of you have. Is it really that hard out there now to become a trucker? Impossible? or more improbable? I'd assume with the talks of a more stabilizing economy, It might be on an upturn? Or maybe just a naive hope.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Board Regular

I would definitely try to pay for your schooling up front if at all possible. There are some relatively decent schools in your area. I attended Sage Tech out of Cheyenne, WY. Yes, they are a 3-4 week school, but all driving is one on one, and they will do a decent job at giving you what you need to get your CDL. I'm not sure if any community colleges have driving programs, but that might be another road to try, it's usually cheaper and longer than a truck driving school.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Rookie

Welcome to the board . I am farely new around these parts myself. I graduated from Truck Driver Institute on July 10th and have had to work the phones and net to get myself an oppurtunity. What I have discovered since I started looking for a job is your location plays a major role with trucking companys. I live in Polk County Florida and Florida isnt a popular state with trucking companys at this time. I start orientation on August 31rst so I am in countdown mode now. I have been reading everything I can so I have less suprises in the coming weeks. Good luck to you in your search for a seat. The one piece of advice I can give you is dont wait for a school to get you a job work hard on it yourself because once the schools have your money its up to you in my opinion. My school had excellent instructors but I dont feel like they did much to help place me.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Rookie

I know I'd really prefer if I went to a private school as I think they teach you the ways of the road, not the ways of the company. I could be wrong about that assessment. But I can't drop $4-5k and not have even 75% assurance about job placement. So I figured I'd take the training with Swift or whomever, stick it out for at least 6 months, then if I didn't like it, pay my way out. Where as if I go to a private school, and no one's willing to hire me due to lack of experience, I'm up a creek.

Anyone else here had this same dilema?

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it
Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If I were starting out I would find a community college or state vocational school near me that offered a driver program. The cost will be much less than a private school and they should have some industry contacts to help you find a position. Going with a company training program is certainly an option. Swift and others will train you and give you a job. If you already have your CDL when you go with them your pay is likely to be higher. The challenge is in finding a carrier who is willing to train you with no experience. Insurance requirements makes it difficult for an inexperienced driver to get a start. If you think that you could stick it out with a new company for at least a year then the company sponsored program would save a lot of money.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I read on this board that Swift no longer "repays" your training. You know what they say about stuff you read on the Internet . . Anyway . .

When I started, it was $100 nonrefundable up front, then, once I started driving, they would "zero sum" my tuition. They would show a payment deducted from each paycheck and at the same time show a credit or reimbursement to me. That went on for the length of the contract at the end of which I had my training for free . . the so-called marriage.

I imagine they'd still spread out the payments but now you would indeed be out the money. I'd also imagine that if your employment was terminated by either of you, any remaining balance would be due. So, the marriage for free training trap no longer exists. You're going to pay, one way or the other. If you get out of trucking because you don't like it . . too bad, you owe. If you get out because it doesn't like you, same scenario. If you were to leave Swift for a better opportunity, so what? You owe and you'll pay for your training. There is no trap. That said, I think it's fair to say that if you successfully complete your training with Swift you will also have a job with Swift. In my book that's a better choice than your other two options.

Swift is an excellent training and career company. They have resources and opportunities you simply won't find anywhere else. Swift also has a shipload of decent trainers. Swift also has a few bad trainers, the stories of which will follow this post just as soon as it gets online. Remember this: Not once have I read of a failed driver who came on here and accepted responsibility for themselves. It's ALWAYS the trainers fault. You will also find there are at least a half dozen or so current and near current Swift drivers who post here regularly and were very satisfied with the training.

Just promise Stan with the Orange Tan that you'll call him before you attempt to drive I-5 through Olympia in the rain. And Wind Walker . . promise him, too. Then everything will be fine.

Denver terminal: 800-220-9585. Good Luck!

Last edited by cdswans; 08-19-2009 at 05:25 AM.