LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchmob03 View Post
Hey Everyone.

I'm not going to get into many jobs going #2 route because of lack of experience, but if I stick with a major carrier, they'll provide me with the training I need.

Thanks in Advance
Matt
Most Private schools do have companies that recruit from their schools. If they don't then there probably is something wrong with their program and I would not advise that school. Talk to the school and ask about that, then call the companies that recruit their students. If you can go private you are less likely to be abused by the companies that train their own and OWN you by the CONTRACT you signed.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 AM

I am one of the guys that cdswans is talking about. You can find my story on this board under Swift Training Academy. Now I went to Lewiston ID, so your experience will be different but I can tell you that Swift has been great for me so far. I had an excellent experience in school and i am currently at the end of my third week on a mentors truck. I will admit that i have been very lucky to get a great mentor, and I had an awesome instructor in school. If you get a crappy mentor you can fire them! I have a classmate that is now on his 3rd mentor and he is still getting through the program.

Another benefit to Swift is this, if you pay for the tuition up front, they will pay you back at the end of 6 months. Now, you want to verify this with a GOOD recruiter because as cdswans said I posted about Swift not reimbursing for school anymore. That post came from a conversation that I had with the instructors at school, but many people have since said that it is not true. Again, find a good recruiter! If Cindy Bouch answers the phone, hang up and try again. Talk to a recruiter and get all your questions answered before you submit an application. Once a recruiter sees you app, you belong to them and you don't want Cindy Bouch I can tell you that!

Someone that is a dedicated hard worker, and honest on the application should have no problems with Swifts training. Everyone that received a cdl from the school that i know has been hired by Swift, so there is a hope for a job after school. Unlike many people who went to a private school and got no help finding employment.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and if you have any questions, just send me a pm.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Rookie

One thing I thought of today was that there were people attending the school I went to the state was paying their way. Now the state requires students they pay for to have a prehire BEFORE they start school or the school doesnt get the money from the state. I dont see why you couldnt do the same thing just tell the school you need a prehire before you agree to start school there. I called SWIFT but to my dismay they never recieved my application that the school supposedly sent them. I head to Orientation next week in TN and if doesnt work out or seem good for me I will fill out an application with SWIFT online when I get back.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Board Regular

LM,
I don't think yours is a "naive hope". As I said, I've got a heavy bias toward freedom!
If you feel it's a more sure bet to get on with a training company, go for it! If you're willing to square up with whatever happens, you're already ahead of the game!
You're right about seeing incredible things while driving a truck! I've seen things I'd have only read about if it hadn't been for driving.
I didn't know it was a dream of yours to drive. In asking about your choice to do so, my question may have come across as shortsighted. Forgive the oversight-- I guess I just wanted to keep you from making a common, very preventable mistake.
Again, good luck. Hopefully, the tide of the economy will turn for the better, and we'll all get back to eating regularly!!