View Poll Results: Skinny Computer Geek as a truck driver?
Are you crazy? Better get a job with McDonalds! 1 20.00%
You have made worse mistakes with your life! Give it a try! 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Seeking Fast Help for a Career Change

I am a 26 year old male in NC. I have been looking for a job now for about 7 months and can't find anything. I have an Associates degree in Computers but it seems no one needs technicians anymore. Anyway to make a long story short I looked into truck driving. I figured since I am living with my parents again and since I have no wife or kids to tie me down then this might be the job for me to try. I looked into schools that paid for your training since I already have a school loan of 28,000 to repay and have no experience driving a truck. Since I had a misdemeanor charge back in feb-2000 of giving a minor alcohol Schnieder wont accept me for another year. My only other choice is to take a job with Swift. Since they have a terminal right down the road from me i figure this would be a place close by to work. Now for the questions:

I need some info on this career. Anything you can provide would help. Just to sum things up I am a small guy for my age... probably around 120 lbs. Would this be a career that I could handle? Will it be more dangerous for me on the road being a small white boy? : ) I have heard that are bad things about truck driving, most of which are delays. If I understand this correctly you are just waiting to unload without getting paid? If this is the problem then I can live with that... I mean couldn't I just go to sleep in the truck? For me making 24,000 on one of my last jobs was amazing, hearing that I can make 30,000 + with this one is more than I can imagine lol. What are the dangers and downsides of being a driver? And any advice you can give me about Swift training or driving would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this post is so haphazardly laid out but I am trying to get an idea by Monday if I want to call the recruiter back and let them know I am ready to give them 2 years of my life.

Thanks in advance for the help...
Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member

There is no more danger, for 120lb than for 300lb! :lol: But seriosly, why did you give up so easyly? I understand, 7 month it's seems like a long time, and 30 grand, like a lot of money, in your age :P , but if that's your only reasons, i'd sugest you reconsider! OTR trucking, is not just a job, it's way of life! Are you sure you want one? I wish i'd have degree in computer! :wink: 8)
Old 07-10-2004, 09:39 PM

Ok here is a quick run down of things. I got my associates degree in computers. Worked 3+ years for a company at 24,000 a year. Wanted to pursue my real dream job of getting into the video game industry. Moved to Atlanta and attended Art Institute of Atlanta for a degree in 3d Computer Animation for one year and went 28,000 in debt. (75,000 for the full 3 years) Found out I couldn't draw as well as I thought. Decided to go into computer programming instead so I moved back in with my parents in NC. Found out that I am no longer a resident of GA or NC. So I can't get back into school right away. I would have to work one year in NC to get residency again to attend NC State and be eligable for 4,000 a year tuition. As of now I can't find a decent job and 3 credit cards are eating away what little cash I have. Plus the fact that my student loans are about to fall due and I have no way of paying them. I figured if I can get into trucking for a year or so I could catch up on my bills and get back into school. Would have worked out fine if I would have got accepted with Schiender since they only keep you for a year. But now Swift is trying to get me in for 2 years. I guess this is something that I could try as I can always put aside 3k for the training cost and just leave after a year. But as far as the dangers... will I be sleeping with one eye open being scared for my life that someone might try breaking into my truck while I'm a sleep? That type of thing 8)
Old 07-10-2004, 09:52 PM

Just thought of something. Maybe this would help me better understand what goes on. Maybe someone could give me a day in the life of a truck driver with as much detail as possible so that I can get an understanding of what happens.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't worry about that, just don't park your truck in some realy bad areas. Most truckstops are pretty mach safe! 8) As of the rest of the story, it's your life, and your desision, might work out for you. Just don't forget, in a process, what's your real goal is! Good luck!
Old 07-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
But as far as the dangers... will I be sleeping with one eye open being scared for my life that someone might try breaking into my truck while I'm a sleep? That type of thing
OK, your background is no different than anyone elses!!! With that said let's look at the career choice... I have a Bachelors in Computer Science and that was before the lame assed term "Computer Geek" was ever uttered!!!
Trucking, as Solo has said, is a way of life and it may be what you need to get your affairs in order. Swift may not be the greatest company in the US but there are some that are a lot worse, so you did the right thing by contacting them. Now as for the 2 year deal it seems that is the going thing now for companies with training schools so they know they will get their moneys worth out of a new recruit, hey the military wants at least 2 years of Blood, Sweat and Tears out of their recruits so, it could be worse...

Now for your "FEARS", dude the least of your worries is someone breaking in your truck, if that is a major concern you'll worry yourself to death and it's not worth it. Of course there are hazards to this job, just about every job has some, ours are just a little bit more so because we are in plain view at all times and scrutinized to "Nth" degree by mostly an under educated public who are driven by the mass hysteria created by an over zealous media and so on.
If you get to the school learn all you can, make sure your common sense is intact, be aware of your surroundings at all times and you'll do fine and if you stick it out you'll be a seasoned traveller and you too can tell trucker tales about the places you've been and the people you've met to your grand kids. Not such a bad deal after all!!!!

Good luck to you...

Quote:
Maybe someone could give me a day in the life of a truck driver with as much detail as possible so that I can get an understanding of what happens.
I missed this... Read the Amusing Factual Stories thread and you'll get a basic idea of what goes on, sometimes it's humourous, sometimes it'll be the worst day you've ever had and there are other days it doesn't pay to even leave the house!!!

Old 07-12-2004, 05:21 AM

No more comments? :shock:
Old 07-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Well the doc is right i spent a good part of my life being a trash collector of I mean a paramedic on some of the meanest nastiest streets of the US and in the Middle east. One day I just said F#@& it all and went in to trucking. Do I like it yes and no. I took me a while to get a local job but that comes with time This might work out for you then again it might not. then there is always the Military.
Good luck hope all works out and schnider training program only requires a one year of your life.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es