User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default log'd in and tryin to post again fired from Swift

I was hired by Swift (first truck driving job) and worked for 15mo.s, around 140,000mi, OTR, 48states. I was fired 3/23/08 for accumulating the 4 following non-DOT recordable, but preventable minor accidents.

#1) after 7mo. driving, while backing into a door at customers wharehouse; I grazed an adjoining trailer and crumpled old placard holder (no placards inside). But didn't even scratch paint on surface underneath.

#2) 2 mo.s later I took a wrong turn into residential neighbor hood, narrow street, parked cars. long story but could see what I was doing and had to run on edge of a lady's small lawn to get out of there. Didn't really do permanent damage but she was drunk and upset so had to give Swift claims number

#3) one week later, while backing into parking slot at a truck stop, hit another trucks california mirror, folding it back. Mirror unfolded back to usable original position but did damage to black plastic housing.

After these first three accidents I was routed to home terminalto meet with fleet mngr. He said,"these are nothing; but line of reason is: If he's having these little ones, he's heading for a big one. The DMs here like you and say you're doing a good job; so we have fought to keep you from getting terminated;put on probation instead".
Had to take some training classes and videos etc. I got out to lmuch more at this point,BUT.....5mo.s later I had my last minor accident

#4) at a customers wharehouse. I backed into (touched) a chain link fence behind a row of parked trailers. I pushed one of the posts back enough so top of post was tilted back about 6in. LOng story but was not getting out to look enough on straight backs like this and was overly concerned with getting nose of tractor out of the way.

Received my DAC report yesterday; it lists all 4 accidents but for description just says "backing" and for work record: unsatisfactory work record.
On the positive side; ON day I was terminated my DM said " You were one of my best drivers; if I had 75 guys like you,I'd be doing great. You have a great work ethic, it's just this safety issue. we fought to keep you last time, but this time we could do nothing".
He was probably referring to rhe fact that I didn't hardly take any home time. only twice for 3 or 4 days each. And i accepted all the loads, communicated accurate ETAs etc. on the Qualcom. I took this job seriously and was productive. didn't get out to look enough yes, but did very minor damage.
I was up to 35cpm and was assigned a brand new truck after 6mo. Made 33k in '08, so ihave no beef with Swift. Customers everywhere and dispatch to keep rolling. Need some advice on how to approach co.s now with a DAC like this. Won't someone give me a chance?

Last edited by dennyboy; 05-16-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: want to finish,continue typing post tomorrow when allowed more computer time
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

That's 3
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Rookie
Wink

There three kinds of people in the world... People who can count, and people who can't.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I had a run from Dallas to Philly. 4 stops including the final. 3 of the 4 didnt have directions, I picked up the load thrusday, delivered monday. They arent open weekends, and i forgot to call them friday cause i was just wanting to drive. Once i stopped for the night friday, it was past closing time. Bummer.

I called the first stop, they happened to be closed that day for some 'training', and the directions i got were short and sweet. Guy said to take the interstate to the University exit. I tried calling back with a question, and didnt get an answer. One of the roads he wanted me to turn down was weight restricted, so i didnt go down it. Yes...i actually can follow the signage.

I ended up driving thru the university, till i got to a road going over the river that i could pass without worry about weight. and in order to get back to the street stop # 01 was at, i had to drive thur a VERY tight street....the picture was BEFORE i ran into cars parked on both side of the street. I had maybe 6 - 12" on eithe side of my truck. You've gotta watch your mirrors. If you thought it was too tight a fit, you should have stopped the truck and called for assistance.

as far as turning down the neighborhood, could you not tell the road was going into a neighborhood before you made the turn? if so, why make the turn??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (97.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
I was hired by Swift (first truck driving job) and worked for 15mo.s, around 140,000mi, OTR, 48states. I was fired 3/23/08 for accumulating the 4 following non-DOT recordable, but preventable minor accidents.
You know...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's probably it for your immediate driving career for the time being. Now you may be able to sit it out for a couple of years until a couple of those preventables drop off your record and eventually get another driving job again, but until then you are probably out of business. I feel sorry for you.

I can't count how many drivers like you I at one time once knew that did the same exact thing you did and ended their trucking careers prematurely, but it happens to the best of them. Some of them were damn good drivers too, but just had no good luck. You are one of the unlucky ones. Anyway, good luck to you in your in future endeavors.

What is so damn aggravating about your situation is at 15 months you were probably just getting comfortable with being out on the road and probably was a five times better and more experienced driver than you were when you first went solo. Sometimes I think the whole trucking system, the way they got it set up, is out of whack, as most people learn best from personal experience and from their past mistakes.

Personally, I’d rather take my chances on someone like you with 15 months of experience than on a newbie driver just breaking out. Nevertheless, the way they got the system set up is totally screwed up. Good luck to you!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Board Regular

Nice pic, Kevin. You got my brother's old apartment building in that shot.
Those streets right there in center city are very tight and the cars park crazy on top of that.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
I had a run from Dallas to Philly. 4 stops including the final. 3 of the 4 didnt have directions, I picked up the load thrusday, delivered monday. They arent open weekends, and i forgot to call them friday cause i was just wanting to drive. Once i stopped for the night friday, it was past closing time. Bummer.

I called the first stop, they happened to be closed that day for some 'training', and the directions i got were short and sweet. Guy said to take the interstate to the University exit. I tried calling back with a question, and didnt get an answer. One of the roads he wanted me to turn down was weight restricted, so i didnt go down it. Yes...i actually can follow the signage.

I ended up driving thru the university, till i got to a road going over the river that i could pass without worry about weight. and in order to get back to the street stop # 01 was at, i had to drive thur a VERY tight street....the picture was BEFORE i ran into cars parked on both side of the street. I had maybe 6 - 12" on eithe side of my truck. You've gotta watch your mirrors. If you thought it was too tight a fit, you should have stopped the truck and called for assistance.

as far as turning down the neighborhood, could you not tell the road was going into a neighborhood before you made the turn? if so, why make the turn??
That is a really, nice, wide street. Not bad at all. Try going into "BLIND INDUSTRIES" in Baltimore, MD. Going in, cars parked on both sides of the street, about 3" clearance between them and your trailer (Pray, really hard, that your trailer is not off-tracking), then try to make the corner at the end. When you finally get into the driverway, you snake your way around to the back and find that you are facing the docks, with not enough room to turn around. When I finally managed to bump the dock (with the back of the trailer), one of the guys told me it was the biggest truck they ever had in there. They'd had 48's, but never a 53' with a road truck.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
That is a really, nice, wide street. Not bad at all. Try going into "BLIND INDUSTRIES" in Baltimore, MD. Going in, cars parked on both sides of the street, about 3" clearance between them and your trailer (Pray, really hard, that your trailer is not off-tracking), then try to make the corner at the end. When you finally get into the driverway, you snake your way around to the back and find that you are facing the docks, with not enough room to turn around. When I finally managed to bump the dock (with the back of the trailer), one of the guys told me it was the biggest truck they ever had in there. They'd had 48's, but never a 53' with a road truck.
At the time i took the picture it was fine, but look a bit farther down the street, you can barely see cars parked on both sides of the street.

as far as going to blind industries....or any other place where i have 3" clearance, sorry, wont ever attempt a turn if it is at all possible i'd bump a car. wont happen. does that make me the worlds worst driver? hardly. just know my limits. maybe in 5 years, when i can blindside blind, or sight side by just sticking my finger in the wind....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Senior Board Member

It may not be the end of the world...

Go to the main page and click on your state and send out some apps

to the companies hiring in your state.

I found a job that way....its a luck system.

If they are in need...you stand a chance
Old 05-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
At the time i took the picture it was fine, but look a bit farther down the street, you can barely see cars parked on both sides of the street.

as far as going to blind industries....or any other place where i have 3" clearance, sorry, wont ever attempt a turn if it is at all possible i'd bump a car. wont happen. does that make me the worlds worst driver? hardly. just know my limits. maybe in 5 years, when i can blindside blind, or sight side by just sticking my finger in the wind....
My trip in there was during the summer months. I understand that in winter, with snow banks at the curb, they have to have the local police come and have residents move their cars so the trucks can get through.

Also, in Quebec Province, there was a customer at the end of a street about 2/3 that wide, with cars parked on both sides, AND 2-WAY TRAFFIC. It was also a busy street. I can point out a couple of places in Chicago and NYC that will easily rival that.

Keep driving, and as your experience increases, you'll find them too.